The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Can I transfer courses?

I applied to study law and put Liverpool uni and my firm and NTU as my insurance.

However, I know I won't get the grades to get into Liverpool so I was thinking about calling them and asking them to reject(?) me and then hopefully have NTU as my firm but I still don't want to do law. I was wondering if you think they would let me transfer to journalism instead? I was thinking of calling tomorrow but I'm not sure how to go about this at all because I think you need to be interviewed for journalism and there may not be places.

Any info/advice you have would be great.

Also before I put NTU as my insurance they said that they would give me an unconditional offer if I firmed them. Would this still count under these circumstances or not?

(Sorry for spelling mistakes my keyboard is breaking)
Reply 1
Original post by Kayb14
I applied to study law and put Liverpool uni and my firm and NTU as my insurance.

However, I know I won't get the grades to get into Liverpool so I was thinking about calling them and asking them to reject(?) me and then hopefully have NTU as my firm but I still don't want to do law. I was wondering if you think they would let me transfer to journalism instead? I was thinking of calling tomorrow but I'm not sure how to go about this at all because I think you need to be interviewed for journalism and there may not be places.

Also before I put NTU as my insurance they said that they would give me an unconditional offer if I firmed them. Would this still count under these circumstances or not?

If you have changed your mind and want to do journalism at NTU, you need to get in touch with them ASAP and see if it's possible, before telling Liverpool that you don't want to go there.

NTU might tell you to contact them again during clearing if the course is currently full.

Do you not want to do law because you're scared you won't get the grades or have you just had a change of mind of what you want to study?
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Ronhaar
If you have changed your mind and want to do journalism at NTU, you need to get in touch with them ASAP and see if it's possible, before telling Liverpool that you don't want to go there.

NTU might tell you to contact them again during clearing if the course is currently full.

Do you not want to do law because you're scared you won't get the grades or have you just had a change of mind of what you want to study?

I honestly don't want to do law reardless of what grades I end up getting. I'll contact NTU as soon as I am 100% happy with my decision. Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by Kayb14
I honestly don't want to do law reardless of what grades I end up getting. I'll contact NTU as soon as I am 100% happy with my decision. Thanks!

Good :smile:
The sooner the better because I think they're still accepting some late applications but make sure you've had a good think beforehand, like you said!
Original post by Kayb14

Hi Kayb,

I just want to double check - are these doubts just because you feel like your exams haven't gone the best? I understand you might be feeling a bit hesitant (especially in this period of unknown between your exams and results day.) But if you did decide to go ahead with all of the above, and you woke up on results day to find you had achieved the grades for Liverpool, would you regret this decision?

I think it might be a tiny bit too late to move around your firm/insurance, however I am not entirely sure. Although you could ask Liverpool to reject you on results day. However, if you do decide to go down this route, please please don't use the word 'release' as it means an entirely different thing. Just explain your situation (I don't want to go to Liverpool anymore etc.) and you would prefer to go to your insurance.

Personally though, if you would still like to go to Liverpool if you get the grades, I would wait till results day and see what happens. As if you don't meet the grades for Liverpool on results day, and Liverpool doesn't accept your offer, then we will automatically be the next people to review your grades anyway!

In regards to moving from Law to Journalism, I certainly can look into this for you! If you could just private message (don't post it here!) your full name, date of birth, id number and I will have a quick chat to admissions to see if this is possible. If you don't want to do this, that's fine, just give admissions a call at:

+44 (0) 115 848 4200

They will be able to help you :h:

However, I don't think your unconditional offer will still be in place, even if you did move us to your firm, as it will be a different course.

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions just give me a shout!

Thanks,

Ellen
Reply 5
Thanks for answering everyone! I will have a good think about this today :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hi Kayb,

I just want to double check - are these doubts just because you feel like your exams haven't gone the best? I understand you might be feeling a bit hesitant (especially in this period of unknown between your exams and results day.) But if you did decide to go ahead with all of the above, and you woke up on results day to find you had achieved the grades for Liverpool, would you regret this decision?

I think it might be a tiny bit too late to move around your firm/insurance, however I am not entirely sure. Although you could ask Liverpool to reject you on results day. However, if you do decide to go down this route, please please don't use the word 'release' as it means an entirely different thing. Just explain your situation (I don't want to go to Liverpool anymore etc.) and you would prefer to go to your insurance.

Personally though, if you would still like to go to Liverpool if you get the grades, I would wait till results day and see what happens. As if you don't meet the grades for Liverpool on results day, and Liverpool doesn't accept your offer, then we will automatically be the next people to review your grades anyway!

In regards to moving from Law to Journalism, I certainly can look into this for you! If you could just private message (don't post it here!) your full name, date of birth, id number and I will have a quick chat to admissions to see if this is possible. If you don't want to do this, that's fine, just give admissions a call at:

+44 (0) 115 848 4200

They will be able to help you :h:

However, I don't think your unconditional offer will still be in place, even if you did move us to your firm, as it will be a different course.

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions just give me a shout!

Thanks,

Ellen

I emailed my firm about changing courses as they want it in writing. I called NTU and they gave me a link to a form to be filled out. However it says - "
To be considered for another course at NTU you must hold an unconditional firm place with us, and meet the entry requirements for the alternative course "

Therefore I can't do this. So now I have two options- ask for them to not be my insurance anymore so that if I don't get into my firm I can go straight into clearing or watt until results day to see if I get in for law and if I do then call them and see if Ican change.

What would you suggest in this situation?
Original post by Kayb14
I emailed my firm about changing courses as they want it in writing. I called NTU and they gave me a link to a form to be filled out. However it says - "
To be considered for another course at NTU you must hold an unconditional firm place with us, and meet the entry requirements for the alternative course "

Therefore I can't do this. So now I have two options- ask for them to not be my insurance anymore so that if I don't get into my firm I can go straight into clearing or watt until results day to see if I get in for law and if I do then call them and see if Ican change.

What would you suggest in this situation?

Hi Kayb14,

I've had a quick chat to someone in admissions and explained your case to them, and they said they would be happy to change your course for you (as long as you meet the entry requirements).

However for admissions to do this, they would need your name or UCAS number. If you would like me to progress this, please private message me with these details and I will pass them onto admissions to get this changed for you.

Thanks,

Ellen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending