The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dirtybit
First press conference by Mourinho was enjoyable as predicted. You can stop putting Rooney in midfield now, Jose said he'll never be a #6 or #8. He'll be #9 or #10 or 9.5

...or sold :redface:

@swirly thoughts on Mourinho's dig at Rooney implying he is a diag merchant?

"For me he will never be a no.6. It is easy to pass without pressure. He will be 9, 10 or 9+1/2."
"You can tell me his pass is amazing but my pass is amazing too without pressure."

But as a 10 that's when you most need to be able to pass under pressure :redface:
Nice one Jose
Mkhitaryan, Rooney, Martial
Ibra

Or is Rooney just ****ed?
I'm pretty sure Rooney's will take the role of second striker / the Lampard role.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jose-mourinho-manchester-united-manager-vows-to-restore-wayne-rooney-to-forward-role-in-first-press-a7120461.html

“We decided four targets. From these four, we have three and until we don’t have the fourth, we are still working hard, myself, the structure, Ed Woodward, the owners, we are working hard.

“When we have the fourth. I breathe and then the market will be open. We are not going to get the fourth on the 31st of August, we will get the fourth before then."

Phil Jones GOAT CB confirmed.

Also shots.
“I was never very good playing with the words or hiding behind words and hiding behind philosophies,” Mourinho said. “I never tried to be good at that.

Spoiler

Original post by Louis.
Mkhitaryan, Rooney, Martial
Ibra

Or is Rooney just ****ed?

Mata in the hole pls, he'll get back to his best with those 3 around him
So the mind games have started

Pep wearing Stone Island was apparently to taunt Mourinho he would beat him to John Stone's signature.
Original post by swirly
So the mind games have started

Pep wearing Stone Island was apparently to taunt Mourinho he would beat him to John Stone's signature.

Stones is piss anyway :lol:
Not sure if you've seen the clip or quotes, but Mourinho also suggested that Rashford/Ibra would be our main two strikers (possibly even a pairing).

Rooney seriously looks ****ed at this stage.
Not gonna lie, Mourinho had me smiling with his 'Three, we have three' line. FFS, don't do this to me Mourinho.
Rooney will be played at #10 and dropped if he's ****, which seems fair

De Gea
Darmian Smalling Bailly Shaw
Schneiderlin New CM
Mkhitaryan Rooney Martial
Ibrahimovic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sell him and give the captaincy to Smalling. He's overstayed his welcome.
Too **** to be a striker and getting played because of reputation. Better players being overlooked.
Why have people got Bailly in their first XI when they've never seen him play?

Jones will be Mourinho's first choice CB (ahead of Smalling) when fit. Don't @ me.
I think Mata is a better number 10 than Rooney, but Rooney seems more like a Mourinho player in that he has more work rate whereas Mata is more clinical with his passes. I always saw Mki has a RW so his arrival should not threaten Mata imo.

I would play:

Dave - imo we should have got Steve Mandanda on a free to act as a number 2, but he's gone to palace now.

Darmian Smalling Blind Shaw - Mou will probably play Jones as pointed out above instead of Blind, but Blind deserves to start the season at CB imo

Schneiderlin Herrera/Pogba - Would be a good CM with lots of energy and quality, I think we need a big name player to play here and boss games thus I added Pogba but if that doesn't go through then we should look elsewhere.

Mki Mata Martial - This would be what I would do but doubt Mata will play above Rooney :frown:

Ibra - him and Rashford can interchange depending on form and number of games played.

Bench - Romero TFM Jones Bailey Carrick Fellaini Rashford
I wonder whether Rooney will be described as 'angry and confused' after today's media interviews by Mourinho, like he was in 2013 when Moyes cast some doubt on his role.

But a fascinating day of interviews by Mourinho - listening to him, in hindsight, he should have been saying these comments with the confidence he was saying them with, three years ago but that's in the past. I was amazed at how regularly he was jabbing away at Van Gaal, threw in the standard Wenger jibe, discussed some of the common points against him (not sure the named 49 players was a good idea though), and reading the Giggs quotes you'd think it sounded quite harsh but listening to him, he was explaining the situation as it was.

On the team line-up, if Mourinho deploys a midfield three then I'd imagine it would be atm, Schneiderlin with Herrera/Rooney either side of him but latter would drift further forward and employ a ten role without being specifically positioned as a midfielder. But nice to see Mourinho wasn't blowing smoke up his arse from the start. Would like to think he sees a place for Blind's versatility somewhere in the two players who he said would be required for back up.

But all exciting stuff, probably only thing missing was a smile or two but he means business.
Reply 1294
Na mou will use him behind ibra. He was making a dig at lvg and hodgson
Bailly is starting at CB every day of the week.*

Blind will be benched and will fill in for when Shaw or Smalling/Bailly is injured. Simple. *
(edited 7 years ago)
Also, don't be surprised to see Valencia at RB instead of Darmian. Valencia is a work-horse.*
Yeah, I think Valencia will start as first choice RB tbh
I think Mourinho could turn Jones into a half decent defender tbh. Gary Cahill is half the player Phil Jones is, and Mourinho made him look like one of the best defenders in the country. Question, inevitably, is if he can stay fit.
Original post by sr90
I think Mourinho could turn Jones into a half decent defender tbh.

Ffs it was only a season or two ago that Jones was being touted as a goat, and Vida's heir apparent.

Half decent smh.

Latest