The Student Room Group

USA Applicant Transcripts

Hello,

I was just wondering about Oxford's policy about transcripts. I've done research on it, and it doesn't seem to me like they ever look at them. However, on their website, they said that they may look at it at a future date. How does Oxford look at my transcript, if at all, if I'm an American applicant?

Thank you!
If you're an American applicant, they don't really see your transcript at all. What they're concerned with are your standardised test scores.
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply! I was not 100% sure if they would check my transcript, so I needed some reassurance.
(edited 7 years ago)
No problem. I hope you have a score of at least 2100 on your SAT and that you've given at least three subject tests with a score of at least 700 each OR at least three AP tests with a score of 5 each. This is minimun requirement for Americans.
What course you applying for, out of sheer curiosity?
Reply 4
I am applying for Philosophy, Politics, and Economics. I didn't expect to be very popular among American applicants, but I hear it is. Are you applying this year or are you already studying at Oxford?
Applying this year. History and Politics. Good luck with your applications!
We read a query about declaring US qualifications last night on TSR but can't find the thread this morning so are posting information here. The query asked whether all SAT and AP results need disclosing on UCAS.

All scores that have not been cancelled should be declared. This is different to practice in US University/College admissions. If a cancelled doesn't appear on a transcript, it can be omitted (Oxford would have no means of certifying it) - otherwise ALL EXAM results should be declared. Many US applicants have very long UCAS forms and in our experience this is the norm. Advice is also available on the University website:

Superscoring
Candidates are asked to enter all their scores for any tests taken when they complete their UCAS application,showing the relevant dates for each. This gives tutors a complete picture of the candidates’ academic record, rather than just the ‘superscore’ of best results for the different sections of any test taken on multiple occasions.

Our advice on cancelled scores (which are not mentioned on the University site) comes from College Board. We will draw University Admissions attention to this issue and suggest they update their webpage

Cancellation
Canceling an AP Exam score permanently deletes it it cannot be reinstated at a later time. Scores may be canceled at any time. However, for scores not to be sent to the college indicated on a student’s 2016 AP answer sheet, AP Services must receive the cancellation request by June15, 2016. Students must complete the AP Score Cancellation Form (.pdf/198KB) and mail or fax it to AP Services. Once a cancellation is requested, the exam will not be scored, and a score for that exam will never be available. (Archived scores cannot be canceled.)

Links:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/international-qualifications?wssl=1
https://professionals.collegeboard.org/testing/ap/scores/reporting/for-students

Brasenose Admissions
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
All scores that have not been cancelled should be declared. This is different to practice in US University/College admissions. If a cancelled doesn't appear on a transcript, it can be omitted (Oxford would have no means of certifying it) - otherwise ALL EXAM results should be declared.

While I'm sure you've thought this out, I'm curious as to why this is the policy. If a student takes an exam in a year before their final year in high school, they will be able to cancel that score after receiving the score, should they not want colleges (and Oxford in particular) to see it. In the final year, there's the option to withhold scores for a fee. Essentially, with a little manipulation of forms and fees, AP exam takers already have the choice to report only those exams that they would like to be seen.
[QUOTE=hrunting;66331740]While I'm sure you've thought this out, I'm curious as to why this is the policy. If a student takes an exam in a year before their final year in high school, they will be able to cancel that score after receiving the score, should they not want colleges (and Oxford in particular) to see it. In the final year, there's the option to withhold scores for a fee. Essentially, with a little manipulation of forms and fees, AP exam takers already have the choice to report only those exams that they would like to be seen.

We think it's because of the need to have a single approach across the board. We have drawn this thread to the University Admissions Office though so your points can be considered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending