The Student Room Group

Law Work Experience

I am currently studying my A levels and want to approach a local law firm enquiring about work experience, however I'm struggling on what to put on the email cos i don't want to sound too relaxed or too informal so they may accept me?.. any help is welcomed :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Zambe147
I am currently studying my A levels and want to approach a local law firm enquiring about work experience, however I'm struggling on what to put on the email cos i don't want to sound too relaxed or too informal so they may accept me?.. any help is welcomed :smile:

Have you heard of PRIME work experience to Law?
Check it out here
http://www.primecommitment.org/member-firms

Try this sort of layout:

Dear Sir/Madam,

*Follow this by a brief explanation of what you are studying, why you want to study law at university and why you are interested in law. Then briefly your personal attributes that help you in being a good intern. Ask them if they have any work, paid or unpaid (if you don't mind the latter) for a candidate like yourself and that you would be grateful to be considered for work in their firm*

Yours Sincerely,

*Your name*
Reply 3
Original post by S1939
Have you heard of PRIME work experience to Law?
Check it out here
http://www.primecommitment.org/member-firms

I have and didn't quite understand how you applied for it....
Reply 4
Hi Zambe!

I also emailed some local law firms to inquire about Work experience. My advice would be to start off with (Dear Sir/Madam) and to introduce yourself and why you are emailing:

I am currently studying my A Levels at [insert 6th form/College here] and I would like to know if your firm offered Work Experience.

It doesn't have to be long. A short email explaining why you are emailing them will do just fine (speaking from experience).

To end the email, thank them and add:

Yours Sincerely

Followed by your name.

Note that this email is only asking if the firm offers any WE. If they do then I suggest sending them your CV and Cover letter.

If you need any help then let me know.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Lujubi
Hi Zambe!

I also emailed some local law firms to inquire about Work experience. My advice would be to start off with (Dear Sir/Madam) and to introduce yourself and why you are emailing:

It doesn't have to be long. A short email explaining why you are emailing them will do just fine (speaking from experience).

To end the email, thank them and add:

Followed by your name.

Note that this email is only asking if the firm offers any WE. If they do then I suggest sending them your CV and Cover letter.

If you need any help then let me know.

Hi Lujubi

could you talk about the why you are emailing part in more detail please? cos i sound really informal and awkward there

thanks zambe147
Reply 6
Hi Lujubi

could you talk about the why you are emailing part in more detail please? cos i sound really informal and awkward there

thanks zambe147

It's simple really. All you have to say is that you was wondering they provided work experience opportunities. Don't worry too much about formality (but don't be too informal either).

Dear Sir/Madam

I am currently doing my A-Levels at [6th form/college]. I was writing to ask if you offered work experience to Year 12 students for a few days during the summer term. If so, it would be great if you could contact me with information about the process and how to apply.

Regards, Zambe147

That's literally all I wrote.

Unfortunately, the firm did not offer any WE at that time but they did put me on the system for future opportunities.
Trust me OP, law firms, save maybe for the super big ones, are not as formal as you're expecting. Consider that the person who will receive your email is probably some admin worker. The worst thing you could do would be to overthink it.

Quick Reply

Latest