The Student Room Group

All A-levels in Year 12?

So I'm in Year 11 (going into Year 12 in September) and I'm thinking of doing all my AS and A2 exams next year. I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and French. I've already done AS French, so was going to do A2 next year anyway. I've self-taught large parts of AS Maths, so it shouldn't be a problem doing the full A-level next year. The only extra ones I'd have to do are Further Maths A2 and Physics A2. And then I'd either have Year 13 free (which would give me time to do any resits) - presuming that I wouldn't be able to apply to university a year early in Y12 (as I wouldn't have done most of my AS levels yet?). Getting all the exams out of the way in Y12 would mean I wouldn't have to go to lessons, which are a waste of time when you can self-teach anyway in a fraction of the time. Resits might be a problem as I'm thinking of applying to a top university, so if I do badly on any of the exams and had to resit, it might not look too good.

Apologies if it sounds slightly insane but I can't stop thinking about the possibility. Do you think it's a good idea?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by archipelaglobule
So I'm in Year 11 (going into Year 12 in September) and I'm thinking of doing all my AS and A2 exams next year. I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and French. I've already done AS French, so was going to do A2 next year anyway. I've self-taught large parts of AS Maths, so it shouldn't be a problem doing the full A-level next year. The only extra ones I'd have to do are Further Maths A2 and Physics A2. And then I'd either have Year 13 free (which would give me time to do any resits) - presuming that I wouldn't be able to apply to university a year early in Y12 (as I wouldn't have done most of my AS levels yet?). Getting all the exams out of the way in Y12 would mean I wouldn't have to go to lessons, which are a waste of time when you can self-teach anyway in a fraction of the time. Resits might be a problem as I'm thinking of applying to a top university, so if I do badly on any of the exams and had to resit, it might not look too good.

Apologies if it sounds slightly insane but I can't stop thinking about the possibility. Do you think it's a good idea?

I think it is, i'd advise you start during the summer holidays though... Mabye tomorrow.

Im about to go into A2 and in 3 days (9 months worth of lessons) i've taught myself A2 economics to a pretty high standard.

Just pull up the specification and study and for further maths buy a study book and watch some maths videos.
One of the only things that makes me hesitate is the problem of resits. If I don't do well in any of the exams (which might be the case because they'll be self-taught as opposed to teacher-taught), I *think* universities will know about it and might be less likely to give me an offer.

Have you discussed this plan with the school/college that you plan to attend in September? If you are paying for a private education then I imagine anything is possible. I would expect any state school I know of would tell you your plan is unacceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As someone said before, you would have to discuss that with your future college first as at the end of the day, it's going to be them who decide if to allow you to do all the A levels in one year.

No point revising every day of your summer holidays to then be told in August that you cannot do both years in one year
Reply 5

Yeah... you are going to be overwhelmed with the sheer amount of content and workload, so it is not beneficial whatsoever unless you have a very good reason to do so (I did do a whole A-level for 2 subject along with 4 extra AS, and it was difficult).
Original post by kkboyk
Yeah... you are going to be overwhelmed with the sheer amount of content and workload, so it is not beneficial whatsoever unless you have a very good reason to do so (I did do a whole A-level for 2 subject along with 4 extra AS, and it was difficult).

My reason would be that I wouldn't have to attend Year 13 lessons, rather than spending Year 13 learning things in lessons that I could be teaching myself in (probably) half the time.

The thing is, unless I hear something that makes me decide absolutely and unequivocally that it's not worth it, I'll be thinking about it 24/7 for the next year
Reply 7
Don't see why not ; if you put the time in then you'll easily achieve it. If you can finish learning all of maths by the end of the summer then all you'll need to do is a couple of past papers a week and you'll just be focusing on the other subjects - suprised more people don't consider doing this ; this year during A2 I kept skipping tonnes of lessons and took whole days off because I realised I could be so much more prospective when learning the content myself so if you're not going to any lessons then you'll have so much more time to do the work. If you did 6 hours a day of solid work then you'll get the grades I think :smile:
Reply 8
It'd be a great achievement.
Good luck!
Reply 9
My reason would be that I wouldn't have to attend Year 13 lessons, rather than spending Year 13 learning things in lessons that I could be teaching myself in (probably) half the time.

The thing is, unless I hear something that makes me decide absolutely and unequivocally that it's not worth it, I'll be thinking about it 24/7 for the next year

Tbh your biggest obstacle will be your non Maths A-levels (since the Maths modules can be learnt very quickly). If your sixth form allows you, and you are definitely confident you can get a good grade then you should follow your plan.

If you are unsure, see how it goes until Christmas (since the deadline to register a student to certain exams is in February).
Further Maths might be a little difficult to do in one year with so much else but as the others have said, if you are set on doing it then start immediately. Also, mind me asking what you are planning on doing in Year 13?
Original post by kkboyk
Tbh your biggest obstacle will be your non Maths A-levels (since the Maths modules can be learnt very quickly). If your sixth form allows you, and you are definitely confident you can get a good grade then you should follow your plan.

If you are unsure, see how it goes until Christmas (since the deadline to register a student to certain exams is in February).

I'm hoping to get into Oxbridge, so I would need to be sure of getting the grades (with excellent UMS scores). If the A2 exams mean I do worse in the AS exams, the whole thing might backfire. I'm starting to think it'd be an unnecessary risk?

Original post by BasicMistake
Further Maths might be a little difficult to do in one year with so much else but as the others have said, if you are set on doing it then start immediately. Also, mind me asking what you are planning on doing in Year 13?

Re-sits. I might not have to go to school, if there's nothing to go to school for. I'm not exactly sure what else I'd be doing. I'd just rather not waste the time going to lessons, which is why I want to do the exams in Year 12.

I'm hoping to get into Oxbridge, so I would need to be sure of getting the grades (with excellent UMS scores). If the A2 exams mean I do worse in the AS exams, the whole thing might backfire. I'm starting to think it'd be an unnecessary risk?

Bit contradictory? :/

Personally I wouldn't risk it, as you said about retakes and they would not mean you are any more ahead than people who take the subjects as they were made to be taken plus you may lose your uni place because you decided to rush.

Ultimately, though, it is up to you.
Original post by emiloujess
Bit contradictory? :/

Personally I wouldn't risk it, as you said about retakes and they would not mean you are any more ahead than people who take the subjects as they were made to be taken plus you may lose your uni place because you decided to rush.

Ultimately, though, it is up to you.

It seems contradictory, but even if I decided not to do it based on it being an unnecessary risk I would still worry about having made the wrong decision. Also, my main reason for doing it wouldn't be being ahead of other people/looking impressive. It would just be to save time in Year 13 as I wouldn't have to go to school - I would avoid all the lessons, homework, etc. . Someone I know raised the point that all my friends are in school. and thought that I should want to be in school. I'm not convinced, though. Perhaps I could go abroad? I suppose it would be a kind of gap year, which I don't think Oxbridge like very much
I'm amazed that everyone is encouraging this.

There is literally no reason to do A-levels early. You won't increase your university chances. If anything, you'll make it more likely that you'll mess up and won't get the grades. Plus you're less likely to get an offer because you wont have done any AS' or internal exams when you apply.

Is all this just so you can spend Year 13 lounging around? You'd be bored. Why would you want to worry about doing resits in Year 13 when you could just do them well and properly over two years?
(edited 7 years ago)
Intensives are quite tough, but absolutely depends on the aptitude of the person taking 'em. It really is best suited for "I messed up my A-levels, what next?" people to avoid taking too many years out of HE. STEM subjects are relatively straightforward to self-teach though, so it's not impossible.
Original post by Abstract_Prism

Is all this just so you can spend Year 13 lounging around? You'd be bored. Why would you want to worry about doing resits in Year 13 when you could just do them well and properly over two years?

I don't think I'd be bored. I could get a job/work experience/volunteer, or go abroad. I would have a year to do absolutely anything.
I don't think I'd be bored. I could get a job/work experience/volunteer, or go abroad. I would have a year to do absolutely anything.

Could do, could do.

But how will you feel if you mess up your A-levels (A-levels are no joke, and it's hard to understand how difficult they are without actually doing them) and instead have to spend your 'gap year' desperately cramming for resits, without a decent university place?

I noticed you asked about Oxbridge in another thread. I should probably point out that they do not tend to look kindly on gap years (deferred entry and gap years are different things). Have a look at this article: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/jan/10/how-cambridge-admissions-really-work

It's an inside report on Cambridge admissions. Let me quote this one part:

"He's been on a gap year," Keeler notes."If he's been sitting on a beach for a year, I'll put him in the bin ..."

He turns a page of the folder and reads the candidate's statement:

"He's been volunteering with St John Ambulance. And also training to be a special constable that's something I've never seen before. He's clearly doing something worthwhile. He's currently volunteering at a care home."

The admissions tutor smiles. "That's a tick for me."

Unless you're spending a lot of time volunteering or doing stuff related to your degree, you're disadvantaging yourself. That's just Cambridge though.

Here's how I see it. The potential rewards are worth way way less than the potential consequences.

Potential rewards of doing A-levels early:

Can enjoy a gap year and still start university at the same age as everyone else.

Potential consequences:

Become absolutely depressed and tired from how much work you're drowning in. Seriously, A-levels are no joke; if you could easily do them early, don't you think we all would?

Absolutely mess up your A-level attempts because you tried to do too much at once.

Have to spend your 'gap year' cramming for resits, which honestly undermines the whole concept of doing them early, because you could have just done your A-levels over the regular two years and saved yourself a whole lot of distress.

Be much less likely to get an offer from universities because you don't have internal exam/AS results or predicted grades. OP, I know you're interested in Oxbridge. If you're going to do your A-levels in one year, you'll have to apply in less than 3 months. Are you ready to apply to Oxbridge in less than 3 months? Most of us have already started the UCAS process.

You'll really be putting the odds against yourself for really not much benefit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18

If you are applying for Maths at Cambridge (as per your other thread) they generally discourage gap years - although some colleges are more relaxed about it.

Bottomline, do your A-levels as normal, and do them well. There's no benefit in trying to rush them, and only potential downsides.
Following on from what jneill said, if you want to do maths at Cambridge you'd also need STEP, which would turn an already difficult workload to pretty much unmanageable if you want to get a decent grade in, it costs you nothing to spread your A levels over two years

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest