The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Help, I'm somewhat regretting firming Durham uni

I know this is probably trivial reasoning, and that academic matters are also important, but when I firmed Durham a few months ago, I hated clubbing. The lack of night life and early closing of clubs appealed to me.

However, in the past month or so I've come to love clubbing until 5am, and going to a wide variety of bars etc in my home city. I'm starting to worry that I'll be disappointed by Durham's lack of nightlife and that I'll regret going there.

How often do Durham students go clubbing in Newcastle, and are they generally more judgemental of those who 'party hard' compared to those at Unis like Manchester etc?

Thanks so much
You'll be fine, plenty of people go to Newcastle for a big night.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Duncan2012 up
You'll be fine, plenty of people go to Newcastle for a big night.

Do many go every weekend?
Original post by simbasdragon
Do many go every weekend?

There were a few when I was there. Lots of people have lots of different interests at uni, and you can do just about anything you want to. That said, you may want to see what your workload is like when you get there. You've only been into clubbing for the last month - who's to say your interests won't change again?

I'd say Durham has the best of both worlds - small but close to Newcastle.
Reply 4
ppl in durham are generally book worms
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bumpitybump
don't do it durham is full of psychopathic girls

Haha In what way?
I know this is probably trivial reasoning, and that academic matters are also important, but when I firmed Durham a few months ago, I hated clubbing. The lack of night life and early closing of clubs appealed to me.

However, in the past month or so I've come to love clubbing until 5am, and going to a wide variety of bars etc in my home city. I'm starting to worry that I'll be disappointed by Durham's lack of nightlife and that I'll regret going there.

How often do Durham students go clubbing in Newcastle, and are they generally more judgemental of those who 'party hard' compared to those at Unis like Manchester etc?

Thanks so much

No time for regretting now. There will be pros and cons of each choice and no one stays the same over 3 years!

Embrace it, newcastle is a great night out. Remember the reasons for you making this choice in the first place.

There's no turning back now.
Original post by Supersaps
No time for regretting now. There will be pros and cons of each choice and no one stays the same over 3 years!

Embrace it, newcastle is a great night out. Remember the reasons for you making this choice in the first place.

There's no turning back now.

This is what I really needed to hear, thankyou.
You'll learn to love Klute, truly one of the world's most unique clubbing experiences.
Reply 9
Don't worry if you end up wanting to change. I swapped my firm and insurance choices around...twice lol. Just call up Durham, tell them you want to change and ask for their permission, then call up your insurance choice and do the same. Then after a day or two, call UCAS to see if the unis have contacted them. If they have, it should show up later on track.

Durham was my firm choice as well then I wanted to change to Bristol but in a span of just two days, I changed back to Durham. It's really easy.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much

I can confirm this. People from Durham university go to newcastle for nights out. The newcastle train station is right next to clubs.

Thanks so much

Yeah I am at Durham at the moment so if you have any questions about it just PM me

Original post by mel_apr
Don't worry if you end up wanting to change. I swapped my firm and insurance choices around...twice lol. Just call up Durham, tell them you want to change and ask for their permission, then call up your insurance choice and do the same. Then after a day or two, call UCAS to see if the unis have contacted them. If they have, it should show up later on track.

Durham was my firm choice as well then I wanted to change to Bristol but in a span of just two days, I changed back to Durham. It's really easy.

Hope this helps.
Reply 12
Durham's clubbing scene isn't exactly that hardcore thing, but as people have been saying, Newcastle is just a train journey away. (You can also get the N21 bus on an evening back to Durham).

The clubs in Durham are still fairly good - events on most nights, cheap drinks and entry, and just a good laugh. Even if you don't end up going out, the pre-drinks experience at Durham is fab.

Quick Reply

Latest