The Student Room Group

what is considered plagiarism at GCSE?

interested to know the answer to this question, my teacher said that we could use ideas from the Internet in our English coursework and only paraphrase 50%. apparently this wouldn't be considered to be plagiarism, but i swear that it is!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mate, you could copy 100% from sources such as the internet and still not get caught. The only way you could get caught for plagiarism is if you copy a class mate in which case the exam board will run the course work through a plagiarism checker through a system most commonly used in universities. You are not allowed to pass any of the work or ideas from other sources with or without the owners their consent so any work/idea from the internet could be extremely reckless if your friend also have the same or similar ideas.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TheAdviser
Mate, you could copy 100% from sources such as the internet and still not get caught. The only way you could get caught for plagiarism is if you copy a class mate in which case the exam board will run the course work through a plagiarism checker through a system most commonly used in universities. You are not allowed to pass any of the work or ideas from other sources with or without the owners their consent so any work/idea from the internet could be extremely reckless if your friend also have the same or similar ideas.

hey, so what exactly do the exam boards do when they 'moderate' coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by TheAdviser

There are programs that search through the internet and check if you plagarised text from web pages and I am quite certain that they use those programs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by stoyfan
There are programs that search through the internet and check if you plagarised text from web pages and I am quite certain that they use those programs.

yeah, i managed to run my work through 'turnitin' and there were no issues, so phew! haha, just didn't know what plagiarism really was.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Grammarly is a good website.
Copied 4 short sentences off the internet for a port folio does anyone know if I will get marks taken off??

Quick Reply

Latest