The Student Room Group

Is this a decent LNAT score

I tried a sample paper from Mark Shepherd's 'Mastering the National Admissions Test for Law'. I got 25/42 on my first attempt. Is this a promising score? I am aiming for a top university (Oxford and UCL)
Original post by academia153
I tried a sample paper from Mark Shepherd's 'Mastering the National Admissions Test for Law'. I got 25/42 on my first attempt. Is this a promising score? I am aiming for a top university (Oxford and UCL)

Hi Academica153,

Well done! The median score is generally around 23/42, so you're well on your way to success. This, of course, all depends on the difficulty of the questions from one year to the next. So I would continue to prepare for your test as much as possible.

A great way to do this is to keep on top of current affairs, read newspapers (online or print) daily and consider your arguments. Online newspapers have the added advantage of a comments section; reading the comments is a great way to see other sides of the argument and what not to say, too.

This, on top of the preparation you're already doing, is a great way to prepare for your LNAT.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

UniAdmissions
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah that's decent it's what I got. Put it this way, if you get rejected on results day it won't be because of your lnat score
Reply 3
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi Academica153,

Well done! The median score is generally around 23/42, so you're well on your way to success. This, of course, all depends on the difficulty of the questions from one year to the next. So I would continue to prepare for your test as much as possible.

A great way to do this is to keep on top of current affairs, read newspapers (online or print) daily and consider your arguments. Online newspapers have the added advantage of a comments section; reading the comments is a great way to see other sides of the argument and what not to say, too.

This, on top of the preparation you're already doing, is a great way to prepare for your LNAT.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

UniAdmissions

Hi UniAdmissions!

I am currently using your book 'The Ultimate LNAT Guide' as it has many questions which I hope will hone my skills, although you can't 'revise' it in the same way as my A levels. However, I am wondering if the questions on your book are harder than that of the real thing.

Also, I am wondering what kind of general structure I should adopt for the Section B essay which would be both effective and involve an integrated argument. Are there any good websites out there to supplement my knowledge on current issues that you would recommend?

Thank you
Original post by academia153
Hi UniAdmissions!

I am currently using your book 'The Ultimate LNAT Guide' as it has many questions which I hope will hone my skills, although you can't 'revise' it in the same way as my A levels. However, I am wondering if the questions on your book are harder than that of the real thing.

Also, I am wondering what kind of general structure I should adopt for the Section B essay which would be both effective and involve an integrated argument. Are there any good websites out there to supplement my knowledge on current issues that you would recommend?

Thank you

Good morning Academica153,

Thanks for the quote, question and for purchasing our book. :smile: You have such a great attitude about your preparation!

The questions in our book vary in difficulty but while bringing it altogether, we made every effort to reflect the standard of the actual test. Section A is arguably the easiest section to prepare for because you can, as you suggested, hone your skills when it comes to how you answer the questions, and the time that you give to them.

To keep you updated on current issues:

1) Read newspapers - They are a great resource, online newspapers especially because you have the added benefit of the comments section. The comments section will often offer you a different side of the argument, which will allow you to form a balanced argument. You can also tell a lot about a newspaper article depending on which publication they're from, so that is something to bear in mind, too. Don't forget that The Metro is free on most public transport, so there is always that option available and because they're a daily, its up to date news.

2) Social Media - Twitter/Facebook users are often the first place that big news stories break out. Twitter especially, look at the trending topics to see what people are talking about. You can obviously discount things like "ThrowbackThursday" and the more frivolous trending topics but it can be all but guaranteed that if something big is going on in the world, there will be a hashtag for it.

In terms of preparing for Section B of the test:

The best advice I can give you about Section B is making sure to spend some time planning, even if it's only five minutes of scribbles. I know it talks about planning in our book, but I can't stress how important it is to make sure that you have a structure and an argument before you start.

In terms of argument, think back to your GCSEs and the PEE (they use PEA now, but PEE still works) structure to your paragraphs: Point, Evidence, Evaluation. Read your questions before you start planning and consider whether you have enough prior knowledge to be able to answer a question in this way.

I won't go too much into the structure itself because I don't want to repeat the book but make sure your analysis is balanced. It is very easy to write an argument based essay with a biased opinion, because we all have them! Make sure you look for both the pros and cons and then, this is the most important part, use the conclusion to make a judgement based upon the evidence in the main body of your text. Where do you stand, given all of that evidence? Make sure you use said evidence to support your argument.

Finally, a good place to look for ways to practice Section B, beyond the resources you already have, is old English Literature/History mock papers from GCSE and upwards. If you took either of these subjects at A-Level consider how you had to write in those exams, and think of it in the same way.

My final piece of advice is to be strong with your argument, avoid using words like "probably" because then the reader isn't going to be sure, if you are entirely sure that your argument is sound. Use words like "likely" and "arguably" they allow the reader to consider what you are saying but without the uncertainty that comes with "probably".
In terms of websites - I've had a look online with the Google search "developing an argument" and numerous websites came up. The best place to look? University websites! For instance, http://library.bcu.ac.uk/learner/writingguides/1.15.htm has some great advice.

I hope this has all been helpful - if you have any further questions, again please feel free to ask here or pop us a private message.

Best wishes,
UniAdmissions
(edited 7 years ago)
I scored 25 and got an interview from Oxford (I was unfortunately rejected post-interview) and an offer from Durham. If the rest of your application is strong, there should be no problem with your score.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending