The Student Room Group

Graduating from Imperial but need advice

This might not be the best place to ask but if there's anywhere better to ask please let me know. I'm graduating this year with a BEng and wasn't expecting to get decent exam results which meant I only applied for a few jobs and with applications that weren't great, so I didn't get any offers.

Somehow I've managed to get a 2.1 which is great but it's a bit late to apply for most good jobs and masters programs now. If I'd known about my result beforehand I'd have applied to a lot more, a bad excuse I know. What are my best options now? I'd like to work in finance/banking/consulting, so I'd apply for those jobs for next year, but I really don't want to waste a year until then. Anyone been in a similar position?
Apply to what you can now that's relevant and see what you get. You can always keep a look out for other stuff that comes along.
Reply 2
Original post by Hypnotized
Somehow I've managed to get a 2.1 which is great but it's a bit late to apply for most good jobs and masters programs now. If I'd known about my result beforehand I'd have applied to a lot more, a bad excuse I know. What are my best options now? I'd like to work in finance/banking/consulting, so I'd apply for those jobs for next year, but I really don't want to waste a year until then. Anyone been in a similar position?

I'd caution against doing a master's course as a 'refuge option': most master's courses are expensive, and not all of them are clearly career assets. Depending on your circumstances, I'd have thought that a year doing any work you can pick up but also getting your foot in the door in finance/banking/consulting & making strong set of applications in the next round of graduate recruitment schemes would not necessarily be a year wasted.

All of that said... universities are sometimes open to late applications to master's courses (they are, after all, often profitable courses for the institutions that run them) so if you're dead set on the master's option it might be worth contacting departments which have courses you're interested in and asking whether they'd still consider an application at this stage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending