The Student Room Group

AS Grades Oxford

Hello,

As we approach results day for AS grades, I am starting to feel extremely nervous (naturally, of course; I guess I am not the only one!). I feel that (on a lower bound) I will have achieved an A* in A Level maths (we do further maths a level next year), B Physics, B computer science and B music. I am confident that I will achieve above 80% in the MAT. Provided I have a reasonable interview, would this be enough to receive an offer from Oxford?

thanks,

Mathematician99 (highly inventive name... :P)
Original post by Mathematician99
Hello,

As we approach results day for AS grades, I am starting to feel extremely nervous (naturally, of course; I guess I am not the only one!). I feel that (on a lower bound) I will have achieved an A* in A Level maths (we do further maths a level next year), B Physics, B computer science and B music. I am confident that I will achieve above 80% in the MAT. Provided I have a reasonable interview, would this be enough to receive an offer from Oxford?

thanks,

Mathematician99 (highly inventive name... :P)

Given that oxford's standard offer is A*AA they may not be confident that you can achieve the 2 A grades in the other subjects as you got a B in them in the first year... A* in mathematics is fine obviously.
Original post by computationchive
Given that oxford's standard offer is A*AA they may not be confident that you can achieve the 2 A grades in the other subjects as you got a B in them in the first year... A* in mathematics is fine obviously.

That is true; but if my teachers predicted me the As, and stated that I have improved (my teachers have said that they will do this if things dont go to plan), would it be better?
That is true; but if my teachers predicted me the As, and stated that I have improved (my teachers have said that they will do this if things dont go to plan), would it be better?

Yes, I suppose this could improve your case. It sounds like as long as you get an interview you should be ok, given your MAT confidence. Second year CS is pretty tough, lots of theory to learn and a large project (for AQA this is). Do lots of early revision to ensure you get the A/A*s! Good luck...
Original post by computationchive
Yes, I suppose this could improve your case. It sounds like as long as you get an interview you should be ok, given your MAT confidence. Second year CS is pretty tough, lots of theory to learn and a large project (for AQA this is). Do lots of early revision to ensure you get the A/A*s! Good luck...

Thank you! How are you finding Oxford by the way?
Thank you! How are you finding Oxford by the way?

Haha, no I am not studying there. I was considering it and therefore know a bit about the admissions side :smile:
Generally speaking, AAAB is the minimum you should be aiming for if you want to apply for Oxford. Anything lower and the chances of getting in diminish quickly, *especially* considering you are applying for a science course where the entry requirement is usually A*AA

I'm not sure that your teachers can confidently say you've improved between results day and the application deadline of October. Universities, especially Oxford, are exceedingly suspicious of predicted grades and particularly so when the applicant has underperformed considerably relative to the entrance grade requirements. Oxford will almost certainly ignore your predicted grades and use their own metrics within their assessment of your application. The best you can do now is focus upon the MAT.

That said, Oxford is flexible to a degree. I had AABC at AS at the time of my application - yet I received an offer. Potential is the most crucial factor.*
Original post by colourtheory
I'm not sure that your teachers can confidently say you've improved between results day and the application deadline of October. Universities, especially Oxford, are exceedingly suspicious of predicted grades and particularly so when the applicant has underperformed considerably relative to the entrance grade requirements. Oxford will almost certainly ignore your predicted grades and use their own metrics within their assessment of your application. The best you can do now is focus upon the MAT.

That said, Oxford is flexible to a degree. I had AABC at AS at the time of my application - yet I received an offer. Potential is the most crucial factor.*

Hey, you must have done nice on that MAT! By any chance, do you know what you got in it?
Hey, you must have done nice on that MAT! By any chance, do you know what you got in it?

I study History, but I'm an admissions helper / ambassador person for my college

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending