The Student Room Group

Was this a silly reason for failing my driving test?

I failed for my 'steering' and 'signalling' - I don't really understand how I could fail solely based on them things.. I've been driving for 4 years (on and off), never had an accident, and very careful - I could tell my instructor hated life and I've been told that they can only put through a certain amount a month, is it possible I was just unlucky?

I hate how they can simply fail someone just if they're having a bad day!

Scroll to see replies

The simple and direct answer to your question is YES
Mate. Ive had a similar and worser experience.

I took my driving test 2 months ago. My examiner was a woman. In the test, I drove quite neatly. I never hit over 30 mph (mostly 25-30 or slower when necessary). I always checked my blank spot, observations and mirrors before signalling. I only turned at junctions when it was clear.
On quiet roads, I drove quite slow (around 10-15 mph) and gave way to people oncoming when necessary.

After the exam, she failed me for 1 serious mistake of steering at a junction. I turned very slightly left because I didnt want to hit the kerb on my right. I was kind of like "What?! :frown: Ok then..".

However, the problem was that she gave me a hefty 16 minor faults. Including 3 speeding faults and alot of other unneccesary faults. Which means that she would have failed me anyway because I wasnt allowed to do the second manoeuvre because of my serious mistake.

I remember driving normally and she would just be ticking the paper unnneccesarily sometimes.
I think she did this because she was a racist and I am a 22 year old muslim male and she just wanted to ruin my life and make me wait another 3 months. Maybe she was having a bad day too which is not our fault, is it? Very heartless people out there. Never keep your guard down.

Signalling is quite important mate. Instructors are very strict. One small mistake and your f**ked basically.
(edited 7 years ago)
They go mental over signalling.
Reply 4
You've been driving for 4 YEARS and haven't passed your test yet?
Signalling is super important. If you leave indicators on, don't use them, or use them too late into a manoeuvre it's a legitimate reason to fail you and a significant cause of road accidents. It's not heartless or mean or overly harsh. If you can't be a model road user for the duration of your test when you should be on your best behaviour it's unlikely you'll be a safer driver when you don't have someone there to judge you.
atleast you didnt drive on the wrong side of the road like i did
Original post by Naveed-7
Mate. Ive had a similar and worser experience.

I took my driving test 2 months ago. My examiner was a woman. In the test, I drove quite neatly. I never hit over 30 mph (mostly 25-30 or slower when necessary). I always checked my blank spot, observations and mirrors before signalling. I only turned at junctions when it was clear.
On quiet roads, I drove quite slow (around 10-15 mph) and gave way to people oncoming when necessary.

After the exam, she failed me for 1 serious mistake of steering at a junction. I turned very slightly left because I didnt want to hit the kerb on my right. I was kind of like "What?! :frown: Ok then..".

However, the problem was that she gave me a hefty 16 minor faults. Including 3 speeding faults and alot of other unneccesary faults. Which means that she would have failed me anyway because I wasnt allowed to do the second manoeuvre because of my serious mistake.

I remember driving normally and she would just be ticking the paper unnneccesarily sometimes.
I think she did this because she was a racist and I am a 22 year old muslim male and she just wanted to ruin my life and make me wait another 3 months. Maybe she was having a bad day too which is not our fault, is it? Very heartless people out there. Never keep your guard down.

Signalling is quite important mate. Instructors are very strict. One small mistake and your f**ked basically.

If you were driving at 10-15mph on quiet roads then I'm not surprised you failed.
Well, steering and signalling are pretty fundamental aspects of driving.. what exactly did you fail on? I got a minor for dry steering in my test, but that's different to eg hitting the curb five times.*
Original post by milliemogs
If you were driving at 10-15mph on quiet roads then I'm not surprised you failed.

You are not supposed to drive more than 10-15 mph on a quiet road. Quiet roads are very narrow and there is less gap. Children, toddlers and animals can jump out between cars at anytime.

And for your information, Im not talking about main roads, dualcarriageways or motorways at all.

So whats your reply to this? ^^
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ATW1
You've been driving for 4 YEARS and haven't passed your test yet?

took me 6 years - you don't know their circumstances*
Take it again.
And yes it is true, they can only pass a certain amount of people each month. I passed on my fifth attempt and i booked my test on the first monday of the new month... she could have failed me because i had already done 2 minors each on 2 different things, if i had one more minor on those things i would have failed because it would have been regarded as a "repeated mistake" and that turns into a fault.
I passed with 5 minors and you need to drive completely relaxed and just remind yourself that you do know how to drive - no need to feel under pressure by the stupid examiner.
You are not supposed to drive more than 10-15 mph on a quiet road. Quiet roads are very narrow and there is less gap. Children, toddlers and animals can jump out between cars at anytime.

And for your information, Im not talking about main roads at all.

So whats your reply to this? ^^

It just seems ridiculously slow.
Where you not taken on roads with a speed limit over 30mph? I find it quite unnerving that they could potentially pass people without seeing them drive over 30mph.
Were you not taken on roads with a speed limit over 30mph? I find it quite unnerving that they could potentially pass people without seeing them drive over 30mph.

Yes, I was taken on roads with a speed limit over 30mph.
Yes, I was taken on roads with a speed limit over 30mph.

But you never drove over 30mph?
Where you not taken on roads with a speed limit over 30mph? I find it quite unnerving that they could potentially pass people without seeing them drive over 30mph.

at best its 20 in a school area, so it should be 30 and upwards unless stated on the road or by signs. 10-15 is far too slow really

its not so much unsafe, it just you unnecessarily holds up traffic.
(edited 7 years ago)
My Reply ^^^^. Click "see more". You are misunderstood mate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sketchymofo2
at best its 20 in a school area, so it should be 30 and upwards unless stated on the road or by signs. 10-15 is far too slow really

its not so much unsafe, it just you unnecessarily holds up traffic.

15 mph is NOT too slow on a road where there is a short gap in between and there are large amount of cars on each side where children can pop out at anytime.

Im not talking about main roads or A roads.
Im talking about the quiet village terraced house roads where there are loads of cars on each side and loads of bends at the end where I also need to travel at 15 mph.
15 mph is NOT too slow on a road where there is a short gap in between and there are large amount of cars on each side where children can pop out at anytime.

Im not talking about main roads or A roads.
Im talking about the quiet village terraced house roads where there are loads of cars on each side and loads of bends at the end where I also need to travel at 15 mph.

can say unless there's traffic calming measures then it would be still be 30, 20 is usually school zones.
My Reply ^^^^. Click "see more". You are misunderstood mate.

Your original post said you 'did not hit over 30mph', which if you are in a 40mph zone is too slow.

Latest

Trending

Trending