The Student Room Group

Mechanical engineering with maths and further maths and no physics. BTEC?

Hey guys, I have finished my second year of A-Levels in Maths, Further Maths and History.

After looking at all universities, almost all of the top 15 universities have physics as a requirement. I am most likely going to achieve A*AA which is very unfortunate as well.

I will be taking a gap year and i believe that it will be very hard to self teach A-Level Physics and also very expensive.

All of the univeristies outside of imperial and cambridge accept BTEC level 3 engineering extending diploma.

Is there a btec I could do at college which would compensate for the me not having a-level physics?

Thanks.
newcastle will take you without physics
there are a few other RGs aswell
I did a BTEC Engineering and A level Maths and I got into Nottingham and Warwick, one of my friends got into UCL, some to Brunel and others to Leeds, Leicester and Loughborough so you can definitely do it and get into great universities
Reply 3
Original post by mawuelomeadjei
I did a BTEC Engineering and A level Maths and I got into Nottingham and Warwick, one of my friends got into UCL, some to Brunel and others to Leeds, Leicester and Loughborough so you can definitely do it and get into great universities

I already have A-Level Maths and A-Level Further Maths and A-Level History.

I believe that the BTEC Engineering is 3 A Levels and takes two years.

Is there a BTEC Engineering I could do in one year that universities will accept alongside Maths and Further Maths?
Original post by Student119
I already have A-Level Maths and A-Level Further Maths and A-Level History.

I believe that the BTEC Engineering is 3 A Levels and takes two years.

Is there a BTEC Engineering I could do in one year that universities will accept alongside Maths and Further Maths?

You MIGHT be able to get away with doing a 90 credit diploma, because you've done the maths, but just call up the universities that you want to go to and explain your situation. They don't give all their info on their website.
Reply 5
You MIGHT be able to get away with doing a 90 credit diploma, because you've done the maths, but just call up the universities that you want to go to and explain your situation. They don't give all their info on their website.

I was checking some local colleges and...

http://www.heathrow-utc.org/media/uploads/engineering_level_3.pdf

The second one: "Diploma 10 units ( equivalent to 2 A Levels)"

Is the one you are talking about right? Can it be done in one year?

And yeah, I will call them up.
Reply 6

Do colleges allow you to do a 90 credit diploma in one year?

Also, is it equivalent to one A-Level?
Some colleges do, yes

I think it's equaivalent to one a level, yeah!
Reply 8
Some colleges do, yes

I think it's equaivalent to one a level, yeah!

I am sorry for asking too many questions but I have never read about BTEC's before.

So the engineering BTEC you done over 2 years gave you 3 A-Levels. And the 90 credit one is basically the same as yours. Meaning if I go to year 2, I will get the same diploma as you correct? The only difference is that I won't continue it for a second year? And good universities will accept this alongside Maths and Further Maths at (A*A)? If that is the case, then damn I am happy that I won't teach myself A-Level Physics. This seems very easy.
(edited 7 years ago)
I am sorry for asking too many questions but I have never read about BTEC's before.

So the engineering BTEC you done over 2 years gave you 3 A-Levels. And the 90 credit one is basically the same as yours. Meaning if I go to year 2, I will get the same diploma as you correct? The only difference is that I won't continue it for a second year? And good universities will accept this?

It's okay, I'm happy to help.

It did indeed give me the equivalent of 3 A levels (for which I achieved D*D*D* (this carries the same UCAS points as 3A*'s, so if your unis accept UCAS points, then you're good).

Yeah the 90 credit is like one year, and you get a certificate with your grades at the end of it. Be careful though, I think they are introducing exams for the next set of BTEC'ers.

SOME good unis will accept it, but like I said before, just give them a ring. I know a guy that did a 90 credit and 2 A levels and got into a good university.
Reply 10
Hey guys, I have finished my second year of A-Levels in Maths, Further Maths and History.

After looking at all universities, almost all of the top 15 universities have physics as a requirement. I am most likely going to achieve A*AA which is very unfortunate as well.

I will be taking a gap year and i believe that it will be very hard to self teach A-Level Physics and also very expensive.

All of the univeristies outside of imperial and cambridge accept BTEC level 3 engineering extending diploma.

Is there a btec I could do at college which would compensate for the me not having a-level physics?

Thanks.

What universities are you considering? Contact them direct and ask what would be acceptable given you already have Maths & FM.

Another option would be to do a Foundation Year and then transfer, but check with the target university that this would be ok.
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
What universities are you considering? Contact them direct and ask what would be acceptable given you already have Maths & FM.

Another option would be to do a Foundation Year and then transfer, but check with the target university that this would be ok.

Sheffield, Surrey, Southampton, Loughborough, Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol etc.

Yes, I am planning on contacting them if they would accept 3 A-Levels including M/FM and a Level 3 90 credit BTEC in Mechanical Engineering. I don't think I would be willing to take a foundation year however.

Quick Reply

Latest