The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Management or Economics & Maths at Bath?

Which course would be better to study at uni of Bath: Management or Economics&Maths in terms of reputation, satisfaction, job opportunities etc? Also, within the school of Management which course would be better: A&F, Business Admin, Management or International Management? The Modules for all these courses look quite similar.
If the modules are similar you have your answer. It makes no difference so pick the most interesting.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by aardee
Which course would be better to study at uni of Bath: Management or Economics&Maths in terms of reputation, satisfaction, job opportunities etc? Also, within the school of Management which course would be better: A&F, Business Admin, Management or International Management? The Modules for all these courses look quite similar.

As a Maths student I am fairly sure that the courses are substantially different. Economics and Maths is in fact 80% Maths in the first year, and last I checked 60% Maths in the second year. And Maths at uni is not taken to be lightly - anyone who does not know what it involves will most likely struggle. From what i know, the maths in management degrees (at Bath, at least) is less challenging than the Maths in Maths (because of the topics that you have to cover), so I wouldn't really describe Econ w/ Maths and Management as being similar enough. And I know that A&F for example is quite broad in what you study, eg computing, law, economics, maths (particularly statistics) and finance, whereas Economics with Maths is much less broad and if you don't like something in it, you're probably screwed whereas with A&F if you don't like Economics you can avoid it in the second year as far as I am aware.

Disclaimer - I'm not an expert in prospects, what course is 'better' etc but I would say it doesn't matter hugely which one you do, provided you're studying things that are 'useful' (either in content or transferable skills), that you get a good grade, that you are involved in extracurriculars and that you have relevant, good experience (possibly through a placement year at uni, I am on one of those at the moment).

But something as quantative as Economics w/ maths should open up most places in finance, as far as I am aware. Something more management-y, maybe, it'd definitely help with getting into an accounting firm or something similar.

Quick Reply

Latest