The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
All lives matter.
Original post by Craig1998
The entire point of AllLivesMatter is to dismiss the concerns of black Americans which have been made through the BlackLivesMatter, you missed the point of it entirely.

No, I didn't.

If you read my post I countered the argument that the All Lives Matter movement slogan was promulgated to dismiss the concerns of black Americans.

Do you really believe blaming a faceless myth otherwise described as "institutional racism" is going to act as a stepping stone in improving the lives of black Americans in the United States? What are black Americans protesting against? Unbeknownst falsities? Overt racism from low-life rednecks? Or perhaps against poverty and low-income?

Asians and Hispanics have been able to get into America's middle class without an issue, and even though Hispanic households on average yield a lower annual income than black Americans, Hispanic children are still more likely to go to graduate high school and get a higher GPA.

Black single parenthood rates are in excess of 70%. Young boys, regardless of race, who grow up without a parents are six times more likely not to finish high school. Youngsters who fail to finish high school are twelve times more likely to be in prison by the age of 30. Black on black violence is responsible for over 90% of black deaths and black men - who account for 6% of the country's population - account for over 40% of the country's aggregate murders. Instead of addressing real issues in the black community, black Americans believe it's better use of their time to protest against unfounded arguments instead of tackling clear factors contributing to the continuation of black poverty and low attainment.

If blacks think the west is bad, you should see what racism is like in China or India where their people shamelessly attack black people because of the caste system and beauty standards. The west has problems in closed segments of society when it comes to discrimination, but it's by no means an epidemic and the black community are responsible for their continued underachievement and no one else.
People who say 'All lives matter' make my head hurt. The mental gymnastics one has to accomplish to NOT UNDERSTAND that 'All lives matter' is not an accurate reflection of the social landscape in America is mind-boggling. If 'All lives matter' then we shouldn't be seeing black people being killed at a disproportionate rate. We shouldn't be seeing black people being killed on video, regardless of whether they resist arrest or not. We shouldn't be seeing police officers put someone in the back of a police van ALIVE, and have the same person miraculously end up dead 20 minutes later AND no one is punished for it. Sure, people of others races might experience it, but not to the same degree as black people. So clearly, whilst the sentiment is appreciated and noble, the evidence suggests that all lives don't matter, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing what we're seeing.
LOL at the people in this thread actually trying to defend that racist family.
Most lives don't matter, and some matter more than others.
If all lives matter then they should show it smh.
Reply 26
Original post by Another
"I don't need to watch the video evidence because it's probably false anyway, but I somehow have the divine telepathic knowledge to form my own opinion anyway"

Humanity in a nut shell. This is why we can't have nice things
You do realise you are making yourself look silly now

Writing different words to express what you THINK I was saying is a bit daft
Reply 27
If all lives matter, why are innocent people being killed in Syria when their houses are destroyed by Western forces?
If all lives matter, why do people on TSR instantly think to go to blame when a terrorist attack happens, rather than thinking of the victims?
If all lives matter, why are benefits of the needy being cut and cut again by the Tory government?
If all lives matter, why does America still have the death penalty?
If all lives matter, why was the woman in the video saying All Lives Matter like an 'Islamic' extremist would say 'Allahu Akbar'?
If all lives matter, does that mean the lives of people in Daesh, the KKK and other hateful groups/people matter?

The people who say All Lives Matter, do not mean it. They say it to contradict the Black Lives Matter movement. Most people within the Black Lives Matter movement, including myself, care for lives as long as that person has done nothing wrong, this is simply not the case with All Lives Matter.
First, the main argument was institutional injustice against black people. Then, it was blatant racism. Now, it is sad stupidity.

The US is slowly becoming a joke. They have Donald Trump against Hilary Clinton running for President of the US. By the time the nation implodes, many people will see how messed up the system really is, but then it will be too late.

It is inevitable that the US is declining. Throughout history great empires have utimately declined from Egypt to the Roman Empire and from Persian to the British Empire.

The US is next. Whilst, people are arguing about whether black lives or all lives matter in Western nations, maybe now, we can see the full rise of China.
Reply 29
Well why comment an invalid opinion if you're not going to listen to all the evidence. I don't bother watching most of the YouTube videos that people post on here which are clearly biased but I don't go on and make comments about them without watching them.
Well done you

I expressed a perfectly valid opinion about the wider issue of 'special interest' groups having a thing to represent them.

I acknowledged that I hadn't (cba tbh) watched the video but it doesn't make that opinion on Black People specific issues any less relevant.

There's no need to be like a dog with a bone over the fact I haven't expressed outrage at the family in the video. As it happens you'll struggle badly to find any evidence that I support them. As Elsa would sing........ "Let it go"
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
The people who say All Lives Matter, do not mean it. They say it to contradict the Black Lives Matter movement.
Sphericals
Original post by MildredMalone
If "Black Lives Matter" is true, why are they intent on making police afraid to go into their neighbourhoods, increasing black on black crime, which kills many more black people than the police do.

Because according to BLM, deaths of black people only count when white cops are doing it. In Baltimore they rioted to get the police out. They got their wish. Now crime as skyrocketed (surprise surprise) and they're begging for them to return.....
Original post by jake4198
No, I didn't.

If you read my post I countered the argument that the All Lives Matter movement slogan was promulgated to dismiss the concerns of black Americans.

Do you really believe blaming a faceless myth otherwise described as "institutional racism" is going to act as a stepping stone in improving the lives of black Americans in the United States? What are black Americans protesting against? Unbeknownst falsities? Overt racism from low-life rednecks? Or perhaps against poverty and low-income?

You can call it a myth all you like but there is evidence to suggest otherwise. I think they're protesting the fact that over 1,500 black people were killed by police in 2015 and only a minority were indicted, but even they were acquitted. I'm sorry, but from the footage we've seen that is incredibly questionable, I find it astounding that not even one of those cops were sentenced. Unfortunately, overt-racism from low-life racists isn't the problem, it's the fact that the legal system is inherently unjust and the state (even with a black president who acknowledges the issue) refuses to help beyond giving black communities a perpetual crutch. Low-income and poverty, I'd argue, are completely related to the racial injustices the black community faces at every level, but we'll get into that.

Asians and Hispanics have been able to get into America's middle class without an issue, and even though Hispanic households on average yield a lower annual income than black Americans, Hispanic children are still more likely to go to graduate high school and get a higher GPA.

Asians and Hispanics have far less of a complicated history compared to black people. They weren't dehumanised to the extent the black communities were, so the associations haven't been as damning. The context is important; since emancipation the role of the black American hasn't changed much. Sure, there are more black people than ever in the upper echelon, but black people have been held in working class social positions (arguably underclass) with very little opportunity for mass increase in social mobility despite certain black sub-demographics being one of the most educated racial groups in America.

Black single parenthood rates are in excess of 70%. Young boys, regardless of race, who grow up without a parents are six times more likely not to finish high school. Youngsters who fail to finish high school are twelve times more likely to be in prison by the age of 30. Black on black violence is responsible for over 90% of black deaths and black men - who account for 6% of the country's population - account for over 40% of the country's aggregate murders. Instead of addressing real issues in the black community, black Americans believe it's better use of their time to protest against unfounded arguments instead of tackling clear factors contributing to the continuation of black poverty and low attainment.

If blacks think the west is bad, you should see what racism is like in China or India where their people shamelessly attack black people because of the caste system and beauty standards. The west has problems in closed segments of society when it comes to discrimination, but it's by no means an epidemic and the black community are responsible for their continued underachievement and no one else.

Ok, first of all, this largely has nothing to do with the main crux of BlackLivesMatter. Their protests largely revolves around the disproportionate rates at which black people experience police brutality, and the refusal of the justice system to penalise offending officers. Black on black violence has nothing to do with the aforementioned, nor is it an excuse for police to keep shooting black people. I'm not sure what China or India have to do with anything, but I don't think an entire racial group should be happy for sub-standard treatment, especially considering their forefathers haven't received the same gratitude you allude too, despite propping up the USA's economy for centuries.

As for the single-parenthood, it's slightly annoying that you mention statistics whilst failing to mention the underlying causes for those statistics. Again, it become difficult to defend the narrative that justice system is fair when black people are arrested and incarcerated at higher rates - in every state - compared to white people despite having similar rates of drug possession (I'm using drug possession since it's the most common offence). The first link I posted detailed the exact same thing: black people being incarcerated at higher rates for a similar crimes, even when criminal histories have been accounted for. Of course single-parenthood scenarios will increase with the disproportionate rates of incarceration of black men. On the issue of black on black crime, here is my thoughts on it as an argument. On the issue of employment, even with black women being the most educated group in America, racial discrimination in employment is still a very real issue. How do you expect social mobility when people can't get through the front door because of their name?

I could continue to go on and on about the various statistics and studies that point to a very real problem. But I won't because who the heck has the time for that. Still, I hope the above has helped change your mind.

(edited 7 years ago)
But this is the mentality of people who use it as a contrast to Black Lives Matter. The entire reason she was using that statement was clearly not suggesting all lives do matter, else she'd consider the black family's lives to matter, she was just using it as a racist contradiction to Black LIves Matter.

It's funny how you feel one person represents an entire demographic, when it suits your agenda.
"All Lives Matter" is such nonsence. It is like a person saying "football is great" after a major game and somone responding with "no, all sports are great".
Reply 35
Original post by KingBradly
It's funny how you feel one person represents an entire demographic, when it suits your agenda.

I thought you right-wingers liked to make generalisations from a few, i.e. in the case of 'Islamic' extremists and the remaining 1.6 billion muslims in the world.
Original post by ellie0497
"All Lives Matter" is such nonsence. It is like a person saying "football is great" after a major game and somone responding with "no, all sports are great".

I don't see a problem with that example to be honest.
I thought you right-wingers liked to make generalisations from a few, i.e. in the case of 'Islamic' extremists and the remaining 1.6 billion muslims in the world.

I thought it was obvious that that is precisely the point I was making. If that is so wrong, how come you're OK with doing exactly the same thing here?
Original post by ellie0497

God that is such a terrible example.
Reply 39
Original post by KingBradly
I thought it was obvious that that is precisely the point I was making. If that is so wrong, how come you're OK with doing exactly the same thing here?

I wrote it with the intention of someone picking up on it and suggesting what you did so people can see the idiocy.

When there's an 'Islamic' extremist attack and people say the attackers do not represent all muslims, the typical comments of '"Not all muslims"' or 'religion of peace' are given.

Latest

Trending

Trending