The Student Room Group

NHS graduate management training scheme 2017

Hi,

I haven't see a thread about this years intake yet.

I am hopfully going to be applying for the scheme in October when applications open. Think I am going to go down the General Managment route what is everyone else thinking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi @Freerain3 ,

I also will be applying for the 2017 intake in Health Informatics. What are you doing so far in preparing ? Atm I am just been practicing verbal and numerical reasoning test.
I will be applying for the general management intake. I just this week started a new job (graduated in June) so it feels strange to be preparing to make an application already. I haven't done a grad scheme application before so i'm nervous about the process and the various hoops to jump through!
Reply 3
Hey I haven't really been doing much yet tbh just finding out as much as I can and I will start the tests soon, I am applying for general route as I feel it's the best route for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi all, I am looking to apply for the scheme in October when the applications open. Graduated this year and I've been working as a Clerical Officer in the NHS for the last few months. Absolutely love the job and want to move up the ladder into a managerial role! The process looks frightening, but the scheme sounds amazing! Anyone know where i can access tests for the General Manger scheme?
Reply 5
The only ones I can find are the ones one the graduate scheme Facebook page
Reply 6
Hey y'all! I'n a US-based applicant with two masters degrees (health administration, organizational development) hoping to apply for the general management scheme. I'm currently in an administrative fellowship, which is similar to the NHS postgraduate scheme in certain respects. I'm excited and nervous for the process to begin in the near future :smile:
Reply 7
I'm looking forward to the process but at the same time I'm not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Applied last year got to the interview stage. Everyone's very friendly. The tests are nothing to worry about standard stuff.

Interview was very tough, I knew after the second question I had failed.

Don't know about the AC but would imagine even tougher.

I would advise 50 - 60% of intake is for general finance like 25% unsure on other streams.
Reply 9
Original post by Tbx
Applied last year got to the interview stage. Everyone's very friendly. The tests are nothing to worry about standard stuff.

I would advise 50 - 60% of intake is for general finance like 25% unsure on other streams.

Tbx thankyou for that information it's most useful, what kind of questions were asked? (Not sure if you are able to remember or tell but thought I would ask) And what path way we're you applying for? Are you applying for that pathway again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Did you find any particular prep materials helpful for the online assessment?
Reply 11
Original post by Freerain3
Tbx thankyou for that information it's most useful, what kind of questions were asked? (Not sure if you are able to remember or tell but thought I would ask) And what path way we're you applying for? Are you applying for that pathway again

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately I didnt make a note of the questions are but they were most competency around the NHS framework and I think 2 motivational. Why NHS & why finance.

Will probably apply for general management as there are more vacancies and cipfa isn't what I want to study.

Original post by Jwc2144
Did you find any particular prep materials helpful for the online assessment?

I've taken a lot of online tests before so it was quite easy.

Just make sure you do the free numerical and verbal ones you can find on the internet. You will be fine :smile:
Hey all!

I hope to apply for the GM scheme 😬

A bit worried about the exams though *gulp*
Original post by Tbx

May I ask what was tough about the interview?
Was it just the question or the whole process?
Also how is it set up?
Reply 14
Original post by warratz10
May I ask what was tough about the interview?
Was it just the question or the whole process?
Also how is it set up?

The interview is based around competencies then branches off on what you say.

The questions have several parts and you have 3 people interviewing you.

The main problem I had was lack of
experience and poor competency examples that I couldn't adapt.

Everyone is very friendly throughout and the grads you meet really put you at ease.
Original post by Tbx

Everyone is very friendly throughout and the grads you meet really put you at ease.

Thank you very much!
What would you say, in your opinion, is the best way to prepare for the application process and interviews?

Many thanks.
Original post by Tbx

Sorry I forgot to ask..

What did they mean about 'poor competency' examples, is there a list of competencies?

Cheerrs mate
Reply 17
Anyone else feeling really nervous about the online tests? I've done the application, situational judgement and personlity tests but feeling really apprehensive about the other 3. Going to try and psych myself up to doing the logical reasoning one today. EEEEEK. Anyone have any idea from previous experience how difficult they are? I'm not great at logical reasoning.
Original post by joey2kuk
Anyone else feeling really nervous about the online tests? I've done the application, situational judgement and personlity tests but feeling really apprehensive about the other 3. Going to try and psych myself up to doing the logical reasoning one today. EEEEEK. Anyone have any idea from previous experience how difficult they are? I'm not great at logical reasoning.

I'm applying for the policy and strategy scheme this time around, I applied to the general management last year but didn't get through. I found the logical reasoning the most difficult out of the online tests, but I think that's probably down to a lack of practice. If I remember correctly it was predominantly image sequences and identifying the next image in the sequence. I've been using assessment day to help revise if that's any help to you! fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Lillybingo
I'm applying for the policy and strategy scheme this time around, I applied to the general management last year but didn't get through. I found the logical reasoning the most difficult out of the online tests, but I think that's probably down to a lack of practice. If I remember correctly it was predominantly image sequences and identifying the next image in the sequence. I've been using assessment day to help revise if that's any help to you! fingers crossed :smile:

I thought that one sounded really interesting, i was quite torn on which one to apply for but went for HR. I've done the logical reasoning, so difficult to tell how it went but i didn't find it as mind boggling as some of the practice ones i did. Just preparing for numerical now which will definitely be my weakest. Fingers crossed for you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending