The Student Room Group

Will student finance still fund me?

Hi,
I failed my first year of uni, twice, due to circumstances I wish not to talk about. Since it was 1 year and 1 resit year would student finance fund me for a different course that is only 2 years? Would the amount play a factor? both courses are nly £6000 a year. I want to completely change courses and since I understand student finance offer 3 years of finance plus 1 year for potential resits, would this be possible?

Also would they ever consider a 5th year of finance or would I have to provide that myself? The 2 year course I hope to join has an option for a 3rd year if you would like, I am not sure as of yet if I would take that option but would student finance fund it?

Thank you.
It's length of course + 1 - previous years study. Doesn't matter how many years your course is. Just how many years you've studied.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
It's length of course + 1 - previous years study. Doesn't matter how many years your course is. Just how many years you've studied.

Is that set in stone? The course I want to start is paid per module and you can complete it in 1.5 to 2 years. how would this work?
Original post by subzero6661
Is that set in stone? The course I want to start is paid per module and you can complete it in 1.5 to 2 years. how would this work?

I'm not too sure how courses work when they're paid for by module. If you phone student finance, they'll give you more information. See if you can get their response in writing too.
Hi subzero6661

If you are looking to do a full time 2 year course, you would only get the full funding in the 2nd year and a maintenance loan in the first year. If you have had compelling personal reasons, you can appeal to get full funding in the first year. To do this, once you have applied you would need to send a cover letter with evidence of your reasons for not being able to complete the first course.

If your course will be part-time, you will be able to apply for funding. Please note for part-time courses, only a tuition fee loan is available.

Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Morven SFE
Hi subzero6661

If you are looking to do a full time 2 year course, you would only get the full funding in the 2nd year and a maintenance loan in the first year. If you have had compelling personal reasons, you can appeal to get full funding in the first year. To do this, once you have applied you would need to send a cover letter with evidence of your reasons for not being able to complete the first course.

If your course will be part-time, you will be able to apply for funding. Please note for part-time courses, only a tuition fee loan is available.

Thanks

Do I apply through my university or through student finance? I do not want to go back to that university. What evidence would I need? I kept my depression and suicidal thoughts hidder, the only things I have are a record of my appointment on Dec 23 2014 which I went specifically for Depression however nobody helped me and they ended up telling my mother when i thought it was confidential and I never went back. The other thing I have is 4 or 5 support sessions with my student support officer where I broke down infront of her and she was the first person i told about my mental health, and the bullying i was experiencing and some personal reasons for my depression, she said nothing could be done about bullying and that I should visit the doctor. I read the extenuating circumstances form for my uni and it says that i have to be diagnosed before my appeal. Does any of this apply anywhere and would it help me in changing courses and getting full funding for a 2 year course instead of having the find the funding for the first year myself?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by subzero6661
Do I apply through my university or through student finance? I do not want to go back to that university. What evidence would I need? I kept my depression and suicidal thoughts hidder, the only things I have are a record of my appointment on Dec 23 2014 which I went specifically for Depression however nobody helped me and they ended up telling my mother when i thought it was confidential and I never went back. The other thing I have is 4 or 5 support sessions with my student support officer where I broke down infront of her and she was the first person i told about my mental health, and the bullying i was experiencing and some personal reasons for my depression, she said nothing could be done about bullying and that I should visit the doctor. I read the extenuating circumstances form for my uni and it says that i have to be diagnosed before my appeal. Does any of this apply anywhere and would it help me in changing courses and getting full funding for a 2 year course instead of having the find the funding for the first year myself?

the student support officer appointments were in my first year, in the second year the head of programme management took over my support sessions, I also explained my situation to her AND the fact that I was getting bullied AGAIN which at that time in my life i thought about suicide every day, because why me? even though im with a new class and new students, somehow they manage to bully and pick on me again? i told her how i felt and personal circumstances,
all of this should be logged somewhere right? also just before i left i had one final support session with the support officer, in which she was asking me what i would do if i was to fail the year as i wouldn't be allowed back, i was hesitant, she then went on to say that the main cause of death for young men is suicide, implying she might have known i was suicidal as i didnt respond much to her questions.
could any of this help me with applying for 2 year funding?
Hi subzero6661

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles during your study time.

You would need to submit an application, either online or by paper form.
Any evidence you have that would show what your circumstances were during either year 1 or year 2 can be reviewed. These are looked at on a case by case basis. The guidelines are as follows (with an additional letter from yourself to explain:

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence -

is signed and dated;

confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and

when this took place

Evidence can be in the include:

Medical evidence from a GP

Letter from HEP

Letter from Social Services

Letter from clergy or professional person

Death Certificate

Photocopy of a Birth Certificate

The above list is not exhaustive and any evidence that can support the customers claim should be sent to us for consideration. In some circumstances one piece of evidence may not be sufficient, therefore we would recommend that the customer send as much evidence in as possible.
Thanks
Reply 8
Hi subzero6661

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles during your study time.

You would need to submit an application, either online or by paper form.
Any evidence you have that would show what your circumstances were during either year 1 or year 2 can be reviewed. These are looked at on a case by case basis. The guidelines are as follows (with an additional letter from yourself to explain:

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence -

is signed and dated;

confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and

when this took place

Evidence can be in the include:

Medical evidence from a GP

Letter from HEP

Letter from Social Services

Letter from clergy or professional person

Death Certificate

Photocopy of a Birth Certificate

The above list is not exhaustive and any evidence that can support the customers claim should be sent to us for consideration. In some circumstances one piece of evidence may not be sufficient, therefore we would recommend that the customer send as much evidence in as possible.
Thanks

What is HEP?
If I can ask my student support officer or head or programme management if they can write something would that be suitable evidence? I can visit the doctor this week about depression but they do not write notes for people they only thing i have with a doctor is the fact i visited them on dec 23 2014 for depression, but nothing else
Reply 9
Also where could I find the online form? I cant find it anywhere
Hi subzero6661

The application form is here:
http://bit.ly/1hErcvL

HEP is the higher education provider i.e. the university/college

Yes a letter from a professional person may be accepted as evidence

Thanks
Reply 11
Hi subzero6661

The application form is here:
http://bit.ly/1hErcvL

HEP is the higher education provider i.e. the university/college

Yes a letter from a professional person may be accepted as evidence

Thanks

The only form I can find via this link is the student finance application form, is this the form I am supposed to fill out? even if I have already applied before? Or is there a compelling reason form or something?
Hi

If you have already applied, you don't need a form for compelling personal reasons. Just a written/typed cover letter with your evidence.

Thanks
Reply 13
Hi

If you have already applied, you don't need a form for compelling personal reasons. Just a written/typed cover letter with your evidence.

Thanks

I mean I applied for the last 2 years, so if i log in and apply for another year i can provide a covering letter?
Hi

Yes, this is correct.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending