The Student Room Group

_gcx's GCSE Journey :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _gcx
I just did my mocks, with medium effort.

What did you get in your mock exams?
Original post by Ɓonnie
What did you get in your mock exams?

Spoiler

I put it in the OP, but just in case you missed it. ^

Colour coding is self-explanatory, based off how far I am under target.
Original post by _gcx

Spoiler

I put it in the OP, but just in case you missed it. ^

Colour coding is self-explanatory, based off how far I am under target.

Great work! Continue the effort and you're well on your way to achieving 7/8A*s! ^_^
Hi, well done on your progress so far!

Original post by _gcx
What I'm seeking to improve:

French, especially. I ****ed up my French speaking, while getting a high B/low A in my writing.

Have you tried Acapela Group? It's a really accurate type-to-speech site, recommended by my French teacher. You can type in any French extract or your Speaking assessment (if you've got another one coming) and hear how it's pronounced, with good intonation and at a good speed - it's also quite useful for your listening exams.

Also, here are some A* phrases for your writing assessment :thumbsup:

Best of luck to all your exams, and I hope you'll get into those top universities! :^_^:
Original post by honour
Hi, well done on your progress so far!

Have you tried Acapela Group? It's a really accurate type-to-speech site, recommended by my French teacher. You can type in any French extract or your Speaking assessment (if you've got another one coming) and hear how it's pronounced, with good intonation and at a good speed - it's also quite useful for your listening exams.

Also, here are some A* phrases for your writing assessment :thumbsup:

Best of luck to all your exams, and I hope you'll get into those top universities! :^_^:

Thanks! I'll definitely make sure to check that out! :biggrin:

Original post by Ɓonnie
Great work! Continue the effort and you're well on your way to achieving 7/8A*s! ^_^

Thanks, and good luck on achieving your aspirations! :biggrin:
I'm off on holiday in Dublin from Monday, until Thursday, so I will be taking a break from work, and I won't be updating this thread. I haven't achieved too much since my last update, but I've done a bit of D1 practice and I improved my C1 notes to encompass far more topics.
Original post by _gcx
I'm off on holiday in Dublin from Monday, until Thursday, so I will be taking a break from work, and I won't be updating this thread. I haven't achieved too much since my last update, but I've done a bit of D1 practice and I improved my C1 notes to encompass far more topics.

How do you find D1 so far? I learnt alot if it in a day and tbh i find it quite boring and repetitive, however dijkstra's algorithm is quite interesting
Original post by Hashtosh302
How do you find D1 so far? I learnt alot if it in a day and tbh i find it quite boring and repetitive, however dijkstra's algorithm is quite interesting

Some algorithms are quite tedious and boring, like bubble sorting, although most algorithms see clear practical usage in CS and other fields. Most of the stuff I've looked at, probably with the exception of Dijkstra's, which took a bit to get, was pretty straightforward. I still need to look at route inspection, bipartite graphs, and functions. Running out of time might be a worry with D1, since it can get really reptitive. D1 overall is pretty straightforward, but it requires quite a bit of logical thinking.
Original post by _gcx
Some algorithms are quite tedious and boring, like bubble sorting, although most algorithms see clear practical usage in CS and other fields. Most of the stuff I've looked at, probably with the exception of Dijkstra's, which took a bit to get, was pretty straightforward. I still need to look at route inspection, bipartite graphs, and functions. Running out of time might be a worry with D1, since it can get really reptitive. D1 overall is pretty straightforward, but it requires quite a bit of logical thinking.

for me you dont even have to think, just remember how to do it( ie how to do quick sort), so its more of common sense

linear programming in D1 is really useful for CS, if you've done it before

also i dont understand what you mean when you said your running out of time? do you mean in lessons or when your learning it yourself, otherwise you shouldt have a time limit
for me you dont even have to think, just remember how to do it( ie how to do quick sort), so its more of common sense

linear programming in D1 is really useful for CS, if you've done it before

also i dont understand what you mean when you said your running out of time? do you mean in lessons or when your learning it yourself, otherwise you shouldt have a time limit

I just haven't timed myself with any AS problems yet, and I'm worried that I'm not doing, for example, Dijkstra's/bubble sorting, quick enough, ie. for an exam situation. I suppose it's too early to worry, really.
Original post by _gcx
I just haven't timed myself with any AS problems yet, and I'm worried that I'm not doing, for example, Dijkstra's/bubble sorting, quick enough, ie. for an exam situation. I suppose it's too early to worry, really.

Ohh i understand what you mean now, it doesnt matter you have plenty of time to work out your timings when you start your a levels
Ohh i understand what you mean now, it doesnt matter you have plenty of time to work out your timings when you start your a levels

I know, sometimes it's hard not to worry about those sort of small things! :P But yeah, I have ages before I start this seriously.
Due to an overall lack of progress/interest at the moment, I'm postponing updates on this thread until the new term starts, unless I see a need to update with anything of note. I'll continue Maths work, and some revision, but I'm not making significant progress, since atm I'm just trying to enjoy my holiday. I've already made far more progress than I was expecting to make, and I'm very happy with that. A likely outcome is that I'll do another few updates before the new term starts, but I can't promise much. When school starts back up I'll continue making my notes. So, therefore, this is my final update for now:

Maths: Continued my C1 notes, with a few topics I was a bit iffy on, and added to my D1 notes with Dijkstra's algorithm and route inspection. Again, those were two topics that were caused somewhat significant difficulty.

Science: More of a TODO, but I'm planning on starting B1/C1/B2 notes. I'd call myself around halfway through science, atm. Not much progress.

I'm going to be doing some revision next week with the Year 11 Skype group, so that should give me some content for my next update. So, overall, thanks to anyone who's reading this, and expect an update in the following weeks, and an increase in frequency when the next term starts.

-George
Reply 113
Original post by _gcx
Due to an overall lack of progress/interest at the moment, I'm postponing updates on this thread until the new term starts, unless I see a need to update with anything of note. I'll continue Maths work, and some revision, but I'm not making significant progress, since atm I'm just trying to enjoy my holiday. I've already made far more progress than I was expecting to make, and I'm very happy with that. A likely outcome is that I'll do another few updates before the new term starts, but I can't promise much. When school starts back up I'll continue making my notes. So, therefore, this is my final update for now:

Maths: Continued my C1 notes, with a few topics I was a bit iffy on, and added to my D1 notes with Dijkstra's algorithm and route inspection. Again, those were two topics that were caused somewhat significant difficulty.

Science: More of a TODO, but I'm planning on starting B1/C1/B2 notes. I'd call myself around halfway through science, atm. Not much progress.

I'm going to be doing some revision next week with the Year 11 Skype group, so that should give me some content for my next update. So, overall, thanks to anyone who's reading this, and expect an update in the following weeks, and an increase in frequency when the next term starts.

-George

good cause I find it quite interesting reading through this
Original post by forre
good cause I find it quite interesting reading through this

Well, good to know I wasn't just talking to myself! :biggrin:
You seem like you've been working hard! Are you getting results back for the May exams tomorrow? (sorry if that's an answered question, only just been skimming over people's threads)
Original post by iso.lde
You seem like you've been working hard! Are you getting results back for the May exams tomorrow? (sorry if that's an answered question, only just been skimming over people's threads)

Yeah, I'm getting the results for my IT exam, today! :biggrin:
Original post by _gcx
Yeah, I'm getting the results for my IT exam, today! :biggrin:

Good luck!! I just got my Science results back, hope it goes well ^^
Achieved:

R001: 52/60 UMS (far higher than I expected)

R002: 58/60 UMS (same as the teacher said)

R005: 49/60 UMS (lol what, I went down by 5 UMS)

Overall, I need 57/60 in R004 to get an A*, which my teacher told me is easily doable for me, so that's fantastic! :biggrin:
Original post by _gcx
Achieved:

R001: 52/60 UMS (far higher than I expected)

R002: 58/60 UMS (same as the teacher said)

R005: 49/60 UMS (lol what, I went down by 5 UMS)

Overall, I need 57/60 in R004 to get an A*, which my teacher told me is easily doable for me, so that's fantastic! :biggrin:

That's so great, well done! Good luck with the R004 then! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest