The Student Room Group

Confused after results (medicine??)

So I've spent the last year hoping to apply for medicine when I start U6 in September... I got my As results and I received 3As and 1B in chemistry.
Obviously for medicine you need 3As, 1 of those being in chemistry. My B in chemistry was not unexpected in my mind, but disappointing still. It was a low B as well, with me reviecing a C in the first unit (a few marks away from a B but still). All my other grades were high As- well into the 90% for English and almost 90% in history.
I've now been left wondering if there's really any point in me applying for medicine. My other option is to apply for a history degree, something that has been at the back of my mind for a while as I've realised how difficult chemistry a level is. I would be dropping chemistry if I decided to do that, completely closing off medicine as a career option- I don't want to do another another related degree like biomed etc. And I know that even if I got 3As next year I still wouldn't be guaranteed any offers for medicine. I don't even know how to get my B up to an A- of course resitting is an option but it feels like a gamble to me and I don't want a B when I could've done something else and got an A.
I have a meeting on Tuesday to discuss this with my career advisors but I'm really confused at the moment. I don't know what I would do with a history degree, I've spent so long wanting to be a doctor.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Hi,
I sat my A2s this year and I'm starting medical school in September after meeting my offer :smile:
I was in the same situation as you last year with a very low, on the borderline B. This year I finished A2 with a high A, just a few marks off the A*. I think it goes to show that you can turn things around. I just changed my study technique, resat the AS exams (which I found easier second time around as you had more chemistry knowledge) and made sure I asked questions if I didn't understand something.

If medicine is something you really want to do don't let a B at AS chemistry stop you from going for it. As long as you get predicted an A you can still get offers, and your AS grades were brilliant.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask or personal message me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Agree with the above. If you resit that first module next year you will find it much easier and pull it up to a high A no problem.
Original post by RainHolmes
So I've spent the last year hoping to apply for medicine when I start U6 in September... I got my As results and I received 3As and 1B in chemistry.
Obviously for medicine you need 3As, 1 of those being in chemistry. My B in chemistry was not unexpected in my mind, but disappointing still. It was a low B as well, with me reviecing a C in the first unit (a few marks away from a B but still). All my other grades were high As- well into the 90% for English and almost 90% in history.
I've now been left wondering if there's really any point in me applying for medicine. My other option is to apply for a history degree, something that has been at the back of my mind for a while as I've realised how difficult chemistry a level is. I would be dropping chemistry if I decided to do that, completely closing off medicine as a career option- I don't want to do another another related degree like biomed etc. And I know that even if I got 3As next year I still wouldn't be guaranteed any offers for medicine. I don't even know how to get my B up to an A- of course resitting is an option but it feels like a gamble to me and I don't want a B when I could've done something else and got an A.
I have a meeting on Tuesday to discuss this with my career advisors but I'm really confused at the moment. I don't know what I would do with a history degree, I've spent so long wanting to be a doctor.

Good afternoon RainHolmes,

I agree with @emem2011 and @Ghotay in that a resit might be a good option for you. If your confusion stems only from the fact that your chemistry mark is lower than you need, then I think that speaks volumes.

You want to be a doctor, that much is clear and I think if you made the decision now, rather than taking the resit, you would likely regret it.

If you'd like any further advice, then please feel free to contact us at any time.

Kind regards,
UniAdmissions
Would a tutor be an option for Chemistry? Things might click into place with a bit of help. Good luck with everything!
Have you managed to get any work experience for medicine? *This is very valuable when you're trying to weigh up your options. *Think carefully about why you want to do medicine - what about it appeals to you etc. *I don't mean the kind of polished rehearsed reasons you would give in a medicine interview, but have a good long think about what it is that makes you want to do medicine. *You can think of lots of reasons that sound appealing to you? *Great. *You're not quite sure? *Try to get some more experience, and by all means have a chat with a career advisor. *Certainly don't let one grade boundary in an exam put you off. *Would you be thinking twice about medicine vs history if you'd got an A in chemistry this year?
Reply 7
Original post by YaliaV
Would a tutor be an option for Chemistry? Things might click into place with a bit of help. Good luck with everything!

Thank you- yes, I'm thinking of getting a tutor to try and help push my grade up. I hope things work out too! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by junior.doctor
Have you managed to get any work experience for medicine? *This is very valuable when you're trying to weigh up your options. *Think carefully about why you want to do medicine - what about it appeals to you etc. *I don't mean the kind of polished rehearsed reasons you would give in a medicine interview, but have a good long think about what it is that makes you want to do medicine. *You can think of lots of reasons that sound appealing to you? *Great. *You're not quite sure? *Try to get some more experience, and by all means have a chat with a career advisor. *Certainly don't let one grade boundary in an exam put you off. *Would you be thinking twice about medicine vs history if you'd got an A in chemistry this year?

Thanks for your reply! I have quite a lot of work experience- I did a week of shadowing in a hospital and have been volunteering weekly on a cancer ward at a hospital for almost a year. Your advice has been really helpful- I think I wouldn't be having this same thought process if I had got an A in chemistry, so I'm hoping to still apply and to try and push my grades up this coming year :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by UniAdmissions
Good afternoon RainHolmes,

I agree with @emem2011 and @Ghotay in that a resit might be a good option for you. If your confusion stems only from the fact that your chemistry mark is lower than you need, then I think that speaks volumes.

You want to be a doctor, that much is clear and I think if you made the decision now, rather than taking the resit, you would likely regret it.

If you'd like any further advice, then please feel free to contact us at any time.

Kind regards,
UniAdmissions

Thank you! I think you're right, and I definitely don't want to do anything I'd regret at the moment :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by emem2011
Hi,
I sat my A2s this year and I'm starting medical school in September after meeting my offer :smile:
I was in the same situation as you last year with a very low, on the borderline B. This year I finished A2 with a high A, just a few marks off the A*. I think it goes to show that you can turn things around. I just changed my study technique, resat the AS exams (which I found easier second time around as you had more chemistry knowledge) and made sure I asked questions if I didn't understand something.

If medicine is something you really want to do don't let a B at AS chemistry stop you from going for it. As long as you get predicted an A you can still get offers, and your AS grades were brilliant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your reply! You've helped me think this through a lot. I am now hoping to spend the next year trying to bring my chemistry mark up :smile: I will definitely be asking you for advice in the future haha, hopefully that's okay!
Reply 11
Original post by Ghotay
Agree with the above. If you resit that first module next year you will find it much easier and pull it up to a high A no problem.

Thank you!
Original post by RainHolmes
Thanks for your reply! I have quite a lot of work experience- I did a week of shadowing in a hospital and have been volunteering weekly on a cancer ward at a hospital for almost a year. Your advice has been really helpful- I think I wouldn't be having this same thought process if I had got an A in chemistry, so I'm hoping to still apply and to try and push my grades up this coming year :smile:

Great. *Pushing up from a B to an A is absolutely do-able. *I did my A-levels a fair while ago now, but I managed to push my chemistry from a C to an A. *I didn't find A-levels easy and had to work really hard, but's it's entirely possible. *Good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by emem2011
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi if you are still active I would like to ask a few questions
Original post by an.med_
hi if you are still active I would like to ask a few questions

They were last active more than two years ago.

If you have questions about medical admissions there are some very useful megathreads such as:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6679038
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5678544

Or you can start a new thread in the medicine forum.

Latest

Trending

Trending