The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

@Doonesbury yes you are right Cardiff are the only medical school grading a grade 8 as an A and differentiating between an 8 and 9. Realistically I do think this should happen because those who got a 9 did score better and should get the credit for that. The difficulty we have at Cardiff is the Welsh applicants still using the old system and the English applicants using the new system. Realistically just like Scottish applicants they should be assessed differently if they are using a different grading system.

I have to agree with you though, it isnt fair than an A* and an 8 which are worth the same in UMS% form get scored differently.

I need to investigate this further because Cardiff are not trying to disadvantage English applicants (in my year there are 320 people, of which I would say 50%+ are from England), but I can see how it comes across this way.
Reply 2
Comment from the previous thread.

I recently moved back from Spain after living and studying there for 10 years. This June I self-studied my A-levels and sat Biology and Spanish as a private candidate. I achieved AB in the end. Due to the cost to sit the exams and practical assignments, the fact I studied them without support and the shift from one educational system to another meant I only took 2.

I am now in the process of studying A-level chemistry and will sit the exams next June. I am weighing up my options and chances of getting a place for medicine including a foundation year. I'm also hoping to get some healthcare experience while I study my chemistry as a healthcare assistant in a hospital.

With all of this in mind, including the fact I would have sat all my exams over multiple periods, is it worth waiting a year and trying to apply for medicine next September? If this route is infeasible would my next best option be to apply as a graduate after I finish an undergraduate degree such as biomedical sciences?

I would very much appreciate guidance.
Reply 3
(Original post by @username20005)
my A’s in GCSE are in business , core science and geography

cardiff views 8’s as A’s even tho technically they’re A* so i understand why i was rejected

The point is that Cardiff sets their selection criteria, and are allowed to do so how they wish. They information regarding numerical to alphabetical equivalents is available on their website.

I make your Birmingham score 7.778 using last year's deciles, provided you have the core GCSEs at A*/9/8. The cut off has been above 8 in the last couple of years, but I suspect may come down a bit with the change in UKCAT to GCSE ratio this year.
Reply 4
I assume you all know that the old A/A* is now spread across 7/8/9, with an 8 being a high A/low A*.

THERE IS NO FAIR ANSWER!!

If you call an 8 an A*, somebody on the letters system who just missed an A* and would have got an 8 if they had the numbers loses out (mostly Welsh people)

If you call an 8 an A and somebody on the numbered system gets a high 8 which would have been an A* if they had the letters, the English student loses.

You can't quite compare them so, unless you are just looking at A/A* and equating them to 7/8/9, there is no system which is fair for all.

Given that all the other universities are effectively discriminating against the Welsh students, it is probably just as well that Cardiff is standing up for them!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by TCL
I assume you all know that the old A/A* is now spread across 7/8/9, with an 8 being a high A/low A*.

THERE IS NO FAIR ANSWER!!

If you call an 8 an A*, somebody on the letters system who just missed an A* and would have got an 8 if they had the numbers loses out (mostly Welsh people)

If you call an 8 an A and somebody on the numbered system gets a high 8 which would have been an A* if they had the letters, the English student loses.

You can't quite compare them so, unless you are just looking at A/A* and equating them to 7/8/9, there is no system which is fair for all.

Given that all the other universities are effectively discriminating against the Welsh students, it is probably just as well that Cardiff is standing up for them!

I think your perspective on this is really great, because yes if you look at both sides neither is fair.

I think the only fair way to assess this is to judge each system separately. Currently, Scottish highers are judged separately, as is the IB, so why can't the Welsh GCSEs be scored and looked at different to the new English ones.
I think this is why a lot of universities choose to use the UKCAT/BMAT to score applicants pre-interview because it is standard for everyone.
Hey I did my GCSEs this year and am really happy with them. Im wondering whether I could have a good chance at medicine to apply next year
2 9s, 7 8s, and a 5 in RS
Im predicted AAAA for AS so hopefully will be predicted A*AA higher next year...

Obvs it depends on A levels and UKCAT/BMAT etc. but based on these results, could I have a good chance?
Original post by croquemonsieur
Hey I did my GCSEs this year and am really happy with them. Im wondering whether I could have a good chance at medicine to apply next year
2 9s, 7 8s, and a 5 in RS
Im predicted AAAA for AS so hopefully will be predicted A*AA higher next year...

Obvs it depends on A levels and UKCAT/BMAT etc. but based on these results, could I have a good chance?

Your grades are good enough. It's good that you are starting to think about it now, make sure you're getting some relevant work / volunteering experience before the application too.
I've just recently moved to England from Spain, and due to the different educational system I finished GCSEs when i was 15 and started A Levels in England also with 15 years of age. This would mean that I would start university with 17 years of age, instead of 18, and although I have seen that some universities do allow medicine students to enter with 17 years of age, many others don't. I was thinking of waiting another year before applying to university so that I can be 18 when applying, but I have also seen that most universities don't accept people with 3 years of studying A-Levels. Would they let me do the 3 years as an exception, because I'm doing it to be the right age, or should I only apply to those who take students that are 17?
A lot of you are going to call me crazy. I do Computing at Imperial and I just seem to hate the course so much and I really wish I did Medicine instead. I am certain on dropping out. I really dislike my course as it makes me extremely depressed and feel really stupid. I would much rather do medicine for various reasons.

I have quite a few problems though:

- I do not have an A-Level in Biology, I have a C grade in AS Biology and an A grade in GCSE Biology. My grades overall are very good (A*A*A*A in A-Levels including Maths and Chemistry, very strong GCSEs). I assume I would have to take an A-Level in Biology before I apply which will take a year.

- I have missed the early deadline so I have to wait until next year to apply.

- Would UK medical schools even consider me because I would've taken 3 gap years before I enter university (if I even get a place)?

- Is it worth the wait?

What are my options? Someone please help because I am stuck in a very sticky situation and don't want to be trapped in a course I don't want to be doing.
Original post by yungabzzz
...I would much rather do medicine for various reasons

What are your various reasons? They have to be pretty compelling because to be realistic, a long road lies ahead.

...- I do not have an A-Level in Biology, I have a C grade in AS Biology and an A grade in GCSE Biology. My grades overall are very good (A*A*A*A in A-Levels including Maths and Chemistry, very strong GCSEs). I assume I would have to take an A-Level in Biology before I apply which will take a year

Not necessarily, some med schools require Chemistry only.

Yes

- Would UK medical schools even consider me because I would've taken 3 gap years before I enter university (if I even get a place)?

They would.

- Is it worth the wait?

I don't know how anyone can answer that question for you. There are plenty of "I want to drop of out medicine" threads on the Current Medical Students and Doctors forum. There are also plenty of positive comments on "Is medicine worth it" type of threads - just do a search.

Finally, have you actually done any work experience? You could have done but you haven't mentioned it. There's also UKCAT, work experience and volunteering etc. etc.

What are my options? Someone please help because I am stuck in a very sticky situation and don't want to be trapped in a course I don't want to be doing.

Just because you don't want to do Computing doesn't mean you want to do Medicine, they are very different courses. Perhaps you have a perfectly plausible reason why, but without elaborating I find your post very strange.

Post originally created by ecolier.
A lot of you are going to call me crazy. I do Computing at Imperial and I just seem to hate the course so much and I really wish I did Medicine instead. I am certain on dropping out. I really dislike my course as it makes me extremely depressed and feel really stupid. I would much rather do medicine for various reasons.

- I do not have an A-Level in Biology, I have a C grade in AS Biology and an A grade in GCSE Biology. My grades overall are very good (A*A*A*A in A-Levels including Maths and Chemistry, very strong GCSEs). I assume I would have to take an A-Level in Biology before I apply which will take a year.

- Is it worth the wait?

There is a pastoral/tutorial system at Imperial is there not? Talk to the people in charge of your education. You have a slim chance of being able to change course. Imperial terms last long enough to sort something out, you'll have missed only 2/3 of 1/3 of 1/6 of a medicine degree. You could also just switch to chemistry.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12

- Is it worth the wait?

Almost half the med schools do not require Biology (a few are Cambridge, Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, Bristol) so the A levels are not the problem, but you do need to think about whether it is really what you want and get work experience and volunteering experience. Having started a course you also need to look into your eligibility for student loans.
I have recently moved to the Uk without completing my secondary school back in my country. But because of my age, the public schools did not take me in. Now I'm studying in an institute that only allows me to do 5 GCSEs! But i have my targets set on Oxbridge and Medicine and i don't know if these will be enough even though I'm positive I'll do well in them. Is there any other way for me to increase my chances? Don't know what to do!!
(edited 5 years ago)
To be honest.. If you have good reason as to why you can only do 5 GCSE's then it is fine. But make sure it is a legitimate reason to universities. Perhaps call them. I know people who havent even done GCSE's that got into medicine - but this is because they came from other education systems.
Original post by Anonymous5005
I have recently moved to the Uk without completing my secondary school back in my country. But because of my age, the public schools did not take me in. Now I'm studying in an institute that only allows me to do 5 GCSEs! But i have my targets set on Oxbridge and Medicine and i don't know if these will be enough even though I'm positive I'll do well in them. Is there any other way for me to increase my chances? Don't know what to do!!

A levels > GCSEs
Original post by Linalolo
To be honest.. If you have good reason as to why you can only do 5 GCSE's then it is fine. But make sure it is a legitimate reason to universities. Perhaps call them. I know people who havent even done GCSE's that got into medicine - but this is because they came from other education systems.

Is me having moved to the country recently a valid reason?
Original post by A Cactus
A levels > GCSEs

Thanks for the reply!
I'm planning on taking 4 or 5 A levels next year. I'm also currently doing my Maths A levels alongside my gcses because my teachers think I'm too advanced for GCSE :3 I guess i just have to work my best for it!
Original post by Anonymous5005
Is me having moved to the country recently a valid reason?

It should be. There are some universities that do not pay much attention to GCSE's anyway. Just make sure you are doing sciences maths english :smile:
Original post by Linalolo
It should be. There are some universities that do not pay much attention to GCSE's anyway. Just make sure you are doing sciences maths english :smile:

Thanks!! I'm doing those subjects so I guess I can have peace of mind finally! Just hope I'm good enough for Oxbridge :3

Latest