The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread [part 3 of 3]

Read this before posting:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=926994&d=1594323463 Medicine 2021 Entry requirements

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=927126&d=1594334950 GCSEs for Medicine 2021 Entry requirements

Shamelessly ripped from @Hygeia's post from the first part of this thread.

As it's getting closer to the medicine deadline, more and more of these threads are appearing in the forum and people are getting a little frustrated with the them so this thread is for all of those queries (the x uni or y uni questions, the where should I apply with these grades etc).

I'll start with some useful links:

For all your where CAN I apply questions, have a look at the main medicine wiki page which contains links to the GCSE/A Level/UKCAT requirements of each university, allowing you to exclude those medical schools where you don't meet the requirements.

You can use the spreadsheet attached to the first post of this thread to input your data and find out at a glance where you are able to apply.

A couple of FAQs

Which medical schools are easier to get into?
The simple answer here is none of them, all medical schools are very competitive and those with a lower applicant to offer ratio one year are likely to have a much higher one the next year.
However, it is possible to apply smart - for example getting into Birmingham if you don't have the requisite number of A*s would be very difficult where the same number of A*s at another medical school are fine. Similarly, if your UKCAT is not brilliant, applying for medical schools which love the UKCAT might not be very sensible. You can make it easier for yourself by doing some research into the medical schools (using the links I posted earlier).

Should I apply to X university or Y university?
This is a very personal decision you have to make on your own as it is where you may be studying for 5 or 6 years. Do you have a gut instinct over which to go to? What is it you like about each? What don't you like? Have you visited both, if so, which did you feel more 'at home' at? Some people find it helpful to draw up a list of pros and cons for each if they're really struggling to decide. You can also have a look at what current students say about their medical schools in the link I posted earlier.

Any further threads on this topic will be merged with this one and hopefully someone (@meddad or @GANFYD) will respond to each giving advice, however, try to do some research on your own first! I'll add FAQs as and when they come up.

If you are wanting advice about med school applications, we need (as a minimum)
GCSEs and full grade/subject breakdown
A levels, subjects and predictions
UCAT and breakdown of subsections
SJT band
Brief mention of work experience
Any contextual or WP flags
The research you have done and any preferences

It also needs to be remembered that everyone advising here is doing so voluntarily and on top of other commitments, so manners and patience will receive a more favourable response!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here for the fun and games!
Reply 2
@Laycity I’ve not seen this come up before but it does say this...

The UCAT score is reviewed again alongside performance at Selection Days to determine who will receive an offer.

It’s vague as to how they review this and how much weight it holds towards the final decision so it’s probably worth emailing them or an FOI request. @ganfyd - were you aware of this?

It has always said this (or at least did for many years), but when asked how it was used, the response was "to separate applicants in a tiebreak".
I agree, worth an email and/or FOI to confirm how they use it
Part 3!:woo:
Reply 4
@idklol98789 Thank you for your response. Yes I am an international student. I have been emailing each university for the past couple of months, but just thought it would be nice to get other people’s opinions. The selection process for home students and internationals are VERY similar (at least from what I’ve researched). There’s this huge misconception that internationals have to get twice as good grades or have completely different selection procedures. So since the selection procedures are similar (NOT IDENTICAL), I just thought some advice would’ve helped lol whether it comes from home or intl students. I’m obviously not going to be making my decision solely based off of what I read here, but I would at least have a better idea of what places to apply to.

Thank you anyways.

Just like everything else, it waries from med school to med school!
Some assess in an entirely different way, eg Birmingham use UCAT and PS for internationals, some have higher cut offs, and some have lower. It is generally true that high UCAT requirements for UK students means high UCAT for internationals, and vice versa, but there can be quite a bit of difference, eg 140 points at St Andrews, 80 points at Manchester. Critically, the small cohort numbers means it can change significantly every year - eg Birmingham's cut off has gone up quite a bit from last year.
Reply 5
@JohnnyHK Hi, from your previous posts you have said that you are an International student. The expertise on this thread is HOME students. The criteria that universities use to make their decisions on who to interview if you are an International student are very different those used if you are a home student.

My honest advice to you is to write to each of the medical schools that you are interested in and ask them the questions that you are asking here. They will be MUCH more likely to answer your questions because as an international student you will be paying possibly 4 times as much as a home student.

The reason for this thread at all, is that generally for some reason, UK universities are not very free their admissions information for Home students and so the experts here have gathered together evidence, anecdotal and otherwise, to advise Home students on their applications.

This is not an anti international student comment but just so you know that the people here won't be able to help you much and if you follow the advice given to home students you will probably come unstuck.

I wish you much luck in your application.

PRSOM. That is absolutely excellent advice
Reply 6
@Oscar1425 Cheers.
My grades are in hand so does that change anythign?
Also i havent taken BMAT yet since only test date is November i believe
Would what im getting in mocks be high enough? i know this isnt MY score but just helps as an indication of what i would need

Not really,
Exeter - yes, Bristol - yes, SHeffiled - yes
Cardiff still rejected people with full academic marks, apparently using UCAT after looking at PS, so it is probably less predictable

Your mock BMAT scores are excellent, but they are not necessarily the same as the real thing. And you may become ill on the day, or breaskdown on the way, so I am not relying on them yet :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
GCSE: 99 888 7777 66
UCAT: 2680, SJT Band 3
A Level Prediction: A* A A

which univ would be better to apply with these grades? Please suggest.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
@awab68 Oh ok so is one of them not know to be more easier to get into like from previous years?

Aren't ALL medical school really easy to get into?
Imperial has one of the lowest applicant to place ratios of all med schools. So does Cambridge. So I guess they are both easy?

The answer is that no med school is easier or more difficult to get into. If your stats suit what they are looking for, it is "easier" but you can have 15A* GCSEs and 4A* A levels and Necastle will not give a crap unless you have a 680+ (ish) UCAT, and Imperial and UCL will not care unless you exceed their BMAT cut off. Which nobody knows yet
Reply 9
Hello, I have got 2760 and band 1 on UCAT. Want to apply to Glasgow/Edinburgh. Also have 7 Nat 5 As, 5 Higher As and predicted 3 A Advanced Highers. Is it possible?
Reply 10
These are my stats
a level predicted A*AA hopefully bio chem maths
gcses 999998876A*
ucat - band 1 sjt overall 2740
I’d really like to go to a London uni, which ones will be most in my favour?
Reply 11
Original post by becausethenight
Part 3!:woo:

Just you, me and @ecolier here, then!

:grouphugs: :party:
Reply 12
Original post by Valantis8
Hello, I have got 2760 and band 1 on UCAT. Want to apply to Glasgow/Edinburgh. Also have 7 Nat 5 As, 5 Higher As and predicted 3 A Advanced Highers. Is it possible?

You make Glasgow's recent cut offs, no problem, but Edinburgh generally require a high UCAT. You may just sneal in with perfect stats therwise, but they also use pre-interview scoring as 50% of post interview score, so you would have to make it up a bit at interview. Glasgow is a much safer option
Reply 13
Original post by brodem
These are my stats
a level predicted A*AA hopefully bio chem maths
gcses 999998876A*
ucat - band 1 sjt overall 2740
I’d really like to go to a London uni, which ones will be most in my favour?

Well 2 of them are BMAT, so.....

Kings and SGUL would be fine. Barts probably not, as your UCAS tariff and UCAT are not likely to be high enough
Reply 14
Original post by GANFYD
You make Glasgow's recent cut offs, no problem, but Edinburgh generally require a high UCAT. You may just sneal in with perfect stats therwise, but they also use pre-interview scoring as 50% of post interview score, so you would have to make it up a bit at interview. Glasgow is a much safer option

I see, I was thinking about doing Edinburgh first option,then Glasgow then Dundee and Aberdeen. I thought Edinburgh gave more interest in SJT than others which is why I thought of it first.
Reply 15
@examswithnojamsHi, everyone! Hope you're all well. I'm a gap year applicant for 2021 entry and was hoping if any of you could provide some advice on which med schools to apply to? My aspiration was to apply for NCL but my UCAT makes it look very risky (though it's exactly the same as last year's minimum cutoff for PARTNERS applicants so I might just go for it and play it safer with my other three choices)

These are my stats: GCSEs: 9988A*7777A, Obtained A Levels: AAA and A* in EPQ, UCAT score: 2620 Band 1, I'm thinking Sheffield and Cardiff might be good options, the Birmingham offer calculator says "unlikely interview" so idk, but I'd love to know your ideas!

WIth achieved A levels, Leicester will guarantee you an interview.
Liverpool and QUB will give you full academic score, meaning you would be highly likely to interview at those.

Cardiff so add A level score to GCSE score, but also rejected people with full academic score last year, using PS and UCAT as a tiebreaker and we do not know what score was needed

Partners cut off last year was higher than usual, so if you really like it, check deciles carefully when they come out to help decide

Your UCAT is below Sheffield's recent cut offs, so probably not a good idea

For Birmingham, need your GCSE subject breakdown

Also look at Southampton, SGUL ARU, Lincoln, HYMS, Aston, UEA, St Andrews, you can score yourself for Nottingham (looks like 47 was safe last year)

Are you contextual? This may bring others in, but I do not know enough about contextual applicants to advise
Reply 16
Original post by Valantis8
I see, I was thinking about doing Edinburgh first option,then Glasgow then Dundee and Aberdeen. I thought Edinburgh gave more interest in SJT than others which is why I thought of it first.

Edinburgh use it as 15% of pre-interview scoring, but UCAT is 35% and the average UAT score of an offer holder has been 710+ in recent years. As I say, you may get an invite, but then are starting from lower marks prot interview than many of the rest of the people at interview
Reply 17
Original post by hbabu
GCSE: 99 888 7777 66
UCAT: 2680, SJT Band 3
A Level Prediction: A* A A

which univ would be better to apply with these grades? Please suggest.

What are your thoughts? Where have you narrowed it down to?
Reply 18
Original post by GANFYD
Edinburgh use it as 15% of pre-interview scoring, but UCAT is 35% and the average UAT score of an offer holder has been 710+ in recent years. As I say, you may get an invite, but then are starting from lower marks prot interview than many of the rest of the people at interview

Think it’s worth a shot?
I posted on the last thread before this one was made, do I have to post again here??

Latest