The Student Room Group

Worked so hard for GCSES but know I failed.

I worked so so so hard for my GCSES for around 3 months and I used to stay back so late to revise and every weekend id be at my desk from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to bed. I thought I did OK. But now, looking at the grade boundaries I'm so so heartbroken. I didn't think this year's exams were that simple tbh and were kind of harder than previous years. I was hoping for A's&B's but I just know that's definitely not going to happen anymore. I don't know what to do, I don't want my parents thinking I haven't worked hard enough because I don't get good grades because I've worked as hard as I could yet they won't see that in my grades. I hate these grade boundaries and I just can't understand how all my hard work is literally gone out of the window now. They say hard work pays off but now I know that's not true..

Scroll to see replies

I'm sure it will all pay off - everyone is feeling like they have done worse after seeing the grade boundaries. Good luck :smile:
I am in exactly the same position as you! Apparently, a reason for high boundaries was because one of the papers were leaked and they so didnt want everyone to get high grades by cheating! I think this unfair if this is true because I worked hard like you! I told my mum and she said instead of getting upset about the GCSE boundaries focus on your next step (which for me is a levels) If a grade feels really wrong then ask for a remark or retake if you want. There's not much we can do about the ridiculously high grade boundaries :frown: really sad. Don't worry I wanted to get As and Bs an I feel your pain.
Reply 3
I feel exactly the same way :frown:
Reply 4
Maybe everyone did well
Reply 5
Unless you are blessed with extraordinary memory and have an exceptional knowledge of how mark schemes are applied, it is difficult to be totally precise with how well you did in an exam. Boundaries will be high because people will have done well on the whole, and in all likelihood if you were expecting to do well these grade boundaries won't change anything for you.
Reply 6
Original post by rdlewiss
I worked so so so hard for my GCSES for around 3 months and I used to stay back so late to revise and every weekend id be at my desk from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to bed. I thought I did OK. But now, looking at the grade boundaries I'm so so heartbroken. I didn't think this year's exams were that simple tbh and were kind of harder than previous years. I was hoping for A's&B's but I just know that's definitely not going to happen anymore. I don't know what to do, I don't want my parents thinking I haven't worked hard enough because I don't get good grades because I've worked as hard as I could yet they won't see that in my grades. I hate these grade boundaries and I just can't understand how all my hard work is literally gone out of the window now. They say hard work pays off but now I know that's not true..

I feel for you. Maybe something else is out there for you. I don't know, I'm in the same position as you. We'll see tomorrow anyways.

Spoiler

How do you "know" you've failed? Did you count up all the marks you got from each exam and produce a % error on the result? (Probably)no.

Thing is, the fact that you're really concerned tends to mean you've done pretty well, especially considered with the amount of revision you've done. I thought I cocked up some of my GCSEs when I did them, but turns out I ended up doing better than expected.

If you don't have concrete reason to believe you've done poorly, don't believe in it with any major value.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Theworriedbanana
I am in exactly the same position as you! Apparently, a reason for high boundaries was because one of the papers were leaked and they so didnt want everyone to get high grades by cheating! I think this unfair if this is true because I worked hard like you! I told my mum and she said instead of getting upset about the GCSE boundaries focus on your next step (which for me is a levels) If a grade feels really wrong then ask for a remark or retake if you want. There's not much we can do about the ridiculously high grade boundaries :frown: really sad. Don't worry I wanted to get As and Bs an I feel your pain.

That totally sucks if that's the reason for high grade boundaries! But yeah your mums right, I guess just work our butts of at alevels! Good luck for tomorrow I hope you get what grades you want xo
Reply 9
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
How do you "know" you've failed? Did you count up all the marks you got from each exam and produce a % error on the result? (Probably)no.

Thing is, the fact that you're really concerned tends to mean you've done pretty well, especially considered with the amount of revision you've done. I thought I cocked up some of my GCSEs when I did them, but turns out I ended up doing better than expected.

If you don't have concrete reason to believe you've done poorly, don't believe in it with any major value.

Oh wow, this has actually made me feel less nervous and scared. I can only hope. Thank you so much for the advice! x
Reply 10
Original post by ak143244
I feel for you. Maybe something else is out there for you. I don't know, I'm in the same position as you. We'll see tomorrow anyways.

Spoiler

Good luck to you too! x
Reply 11
aww I hope so, thank you so much! Good luck to you too if you're getting your results :smile: xo
Reply 12
Original post by jazz_xox_
I'm sure it will all pay off - everyone is feeling like they have done worse after seeing the grade boundaries. Good luck :smile:

Yeah true! One can only hope it all pays off.. Thank you so much! Good luck to you too if you're getting your results tomorrow. xo
Ummm.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah true! One can only hope it all pays off.. Thank you so much! Good luck to you too if you're getting your results tomorrow. xo

I'm sure it will, you're welcome. Yes, I'm getting results tomorrow thank you! Let me know if your hard work paid off :smile:
That totally sucks if that's the reason for high grade boundaries! But yeah your mums right, I guess just work our butts of at alevels! Good luck for tomorrow I hope you get what grades you want xo

Thank you so much! Good luck to you too! I'm sure you'll get the grades you want! xxxx
Reply 16
My mum always says that you can't do anything more than try your best. Your parents have seen how dedicated you've been so will be proud of you no matter what! I know the grade boundaries have increased a bit, but the results are already in the envelope so there's no point in beating yourself up! You've tried your best and that's all you can do - good luck for tomorrow, I'm sure you've done fine :smile:
Don't worry about it too much, just speak to your parents and explain to them the situation so it helps. I told my parents to lower their expectations after seeing the grade boundaries, I think we are all in the same situation when it comes to the ridiculously high boundaries. Good luck with your results and I hope the hard work pays off!
Reply 18
Original post by cboydxo
My mum always says that you can't do anything more than try your best. Your parents have seen how dedicated you've been so will be proud of you no matter what! I know the grade boundaries have increased a bit, but the results are already in the envelope so there's no point in beating yourself up! You've tried your best and that's all you can do - good luck for tomorrow, I'm sure you've done fine :smile:

yeah, you're right. I guess whatever happens now, just happens. Thank you so much! I hope so. If you're getting your results tomorrow then I wish you so much good luck! xo
Reply 19
Original post by OwlOfFire
Don't worry about it too much, just speak to your parents and explain to them the situation so it helps. I told my parents to lower their expectations after seeing the grade boundaries, I think we are all in the same situation when it comes to the ridiculously high boundaries. Good luck with your results and I hope the hard work pays off!

I love that there's so many people in the same situation and it's not just me.. it takes a little stress off my shoulder. Thank you so much and I hope so too! Good luck with your results, I hope you get the grades you want, if not, higher! :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest