The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE's too bad for Uni or can I still make a difference in A-Level?

BTEC Business: L2P
Science: C
Science additional: C
Maths: C
ICT: D ( A in exam E in coursework :frown: )
English language D (Got a C in this in year 10 mocks. :frown: )
English literature D
History: E
Food Technology: E

Will my school's sixth form make me resit English literature / language ???
Reply 1
GCSE results are virtually meaningless to a Uni if your A-Level results are good, they understand that people can get much better at a subject over 2 years. As for your school allowing you to resit a subject you'd have to ask them yourselves.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
English literature D

Uni's don't care about your GCSE's. You have 2 years to get good results in subject's you like the most. THAT'S what they look at.
Reply 3
Original post by Mikmik
GCSE results are virtually meaningless to a Uni if your A-Level results are good, they understand that people can get much better at a subject over 2 years. As for your school allowing you to resit a subject you'd have to ask them yourselves.

Original post by RDKGames
Uni's don't care about your GCSE's. You have 2 years to get good results in subject's you like the most. THAT'S what they look at.

Well then I guess this is some good news for today.
Original post by RDKGames

What about Uni's such as Oxford and Cambridge? Don't they care about your GCSE's?
Original post by MeerabBieber
What about Uni's such as Oxford and Cambridge? Don't they care about your GCSE's?

No. I think Oxford might in some cases but I know Cambridge usually doesn't.

They care because it allows them to distinguish between all the applicants that have all the same A-level grades. Even though that's kind of stupid because if someone has lower GCSE grades than someone but the same A-level grades, surely that means they are more hard working because they had to increase their grades much more? Then again they probably care about natural intelligence more than how hard someone has worked to get a grade
Original post by 2016_GCSE
English literature D

they will most likely make you resit your english language
Original post by jordanshelley97
They care because it allows them to distinguish between all the applicants that have all the same A-level grades. Even though that's kind of stupid because if someone has lower GCSE grades than someone but the same A-level grades, surely that means they are more hard working because they had to increase their grades much more? Then again they probably care about natural intelligence more than how hard someone has worked to get a grade

I understand. But i guess it also depends on your actual interview and how much you genuinely love and know about the subject/degree you are applying for rather than your acceptance solely being based on GCSE and A-level grades.

Is it worth applying to Cambridge if I have 5A's and 4B's in GCSE but I also had full UMS's in some of the papers. (I just got the results today) Or should I do a remark first as I missed an overall A* in 4 of my subjects by a few marks?
Is it worth applying to Cambridge if I have 5A's and 4B's in GCSE but I also had full UMS's in some of the papers. (I just got the results today) Or should I do a remark first as I missed an overall A* in 4 of my subjects by a few marks?

Of course it's worth applying, it's not like you only get one choice and if you don't get in then you can't get into uni. Tbh there was only 2 of my choices that I would have been genuinely happy with, and I regretted not applying to Oxford (even though I would have rejected if I did get an offer, I would have applied solely to see if I could have got in :biggrin:)

As for remarks, I don't know how likely it is that you would get the extra marks, however for me Chemistry and Biology were both put in for remarks and they both got bumped up from an A to an A* :colondollar: But they did that without me even asking, so my guess was both were like 1 mark off or something
A fresh slate helps alot of people

Quick Reply

Latest