The Student Room Group

I'm worrying about one of my Controlled Assessments for OCR GCSE's Computing (A453)

Hi guys, To those who did OCR's Computing Course (and ergo did the A453 component), did you have a lot of pages filled with testing? I'd say the written content, flowcharts, ect, makes up, like, a reasonable page count but as I recall I have around 90-ish pages altogether. Before anyone wonders how it's possible to do this, a lot of the document is comprised of screenshots of the code (for all three tasks), flowcharts, and pages of testing in tables (which took me ages, jeez :P) which cover my variables. There's a lot of pages filled with this kind of stuff whereas my evaluations, ect are no more than a page or so. My development is longer of course, for all three tasks.
My worry is a moderator will look at my work and wonder how I did it. A lot of my class didn't have any experience with Python and we sort of had to fend for ourselves with the coursework so I had to crack down and do it, meaning a lot of my classmates didn't do as well and as much as I did.

I'm worried I'll stick out like a thumb due to the page count. It was handed in before the holidays and I got an A* but I'm worried a moderator will think I cheated or something. I can't change it now or anything. There's only, like, two of us in the class who got A*s.

Scroll to see replies

You should be fine. Why should you worry if you cheated if you didn't? Anyways one page evaluations are fine, I did them myself. Also a moderator can't just assume you should suck at programming just because the rest of your class does. Unless you copied all your code off the internet which they can check, you will be fine. Be a bit more confident with your work :smile:. I also think one page evaluations are fine, even if you didn't do any evaluation for all three questions it just means you won't get full marks, they won't think you're a cheater.
Original post by crazyy
You should be fine. Why should you worry if you cheated if you didn't? Anyways one page evaluations are fine, I did them myself. Also a moderator can't just assume you should suck at programming just because the rest of your class does. Unless you copied all your code off the internet which they can check, you will be fine. Be a bit more confident with your work :smile:. I also think one page evaluations are fine, even if you didn't do any evaluation for all three questions it just means you won't get full marks, they won't think you're a cheater.

I actually think I did do longer than one page evaluations, I was probably just estimating.

My main worry is that since I have such a large page count it'll contrast with the rest of my class and make me look as if I took the work home (which is impossible in itself due to email system issues :/).
Original post by s4b3rt00th
What are the rules for this anyway?

With regards to what exactly?
Original post by TB14
I actually think I did do longer than one page evaluations, I was probably just estimating.

My main worry is that since I have such a large page count it'll contrast with the rest of my class and make me look as if I took the work home (which is impossible in itself due to email system issues :/).

I think you need to relax lol. You're innocent till proven guilty. Even if they suspect you, they will have to investigate and they will get nowhere since you didn't cheat. They can't just bin your work because they suspect you to be cheating.:biggrin:
Original post by crazyy
I think you need to relax lol. You're innocent till proven guilty. Even if they suspect you, they will have to investigate and they will get nowhere since you didn't cheat. They can't just bin your work because they suspect you to be cheating.:biggrin:

What if they get it wrong though? I remember going in to catch-up as I missed a session due to a doctor's appointment but I don't even know. :/
Original post by TB14
What if they get it wrong though? I remember going in to catch-up as I missed a session due to a doctor's appointment but I don't even know. :/

If you didn't cheat, there will be no evidence of you cheating, so you will be absolutely fine. Don't worry about it, and enjoy the rest of the holidays!

Spoiler

Jesus man I only did 45 pages... How many words?
Reply 8
Saw your post on Reddit, same answer. You will be fine
Thank you. I'm having different people saying that I've done too much and other people saying I'll be fine, so it's a bit of a whirlwind.

It's kind of hard getting the thoughts out of my head as the course means a lot to me as I like CS and would hate to have my grade compromised by the amount of work I put into it.

I can't really remember how many words/pages exactly as I can't edit it now. It's done and been marked by a teacher, it might be moderated, I'm not sure how it works.
Reply 10
Original post by TB14
Thank you. I'm having different people saying that I've done too much and other people saying I'll be fine, so it's a bit of a whirlwind.

It's kind of hard getting the thoughts out of my head as the course means a lot to me as I like CS and would hate to have my grade compromised by the amount of work I put into it.

I can't really remember how many words/pages exactly as I can't edit it now. It's done and been marked by a teacher, it might be moderated, I'm not sure how it works.

A moderator will easily be able to tell if you've cheated or not by the wording you've used, so you should be fine
Original post by iHammmy
A moderator will easily be able to tell if you've cheated or not by the wording you've used, so you should be fine

What do you mean by that?

I use a lot of high-level vocabulary but not once did I copy from the internet or anything like that.
Has anyone got any more answers/experience with this?
Original post by TB14
What do you mean by that?

I use a lot of high-level vocabulary but not once did I copy from the internet or anything like that.

If you don't know already, you get marks for using high-level vocabulary.
Jesus, 90 pages? I did about fifteen-twenty and came away with near full marks on both CAs...

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of my friends had like 131 pages for A452 and quite a lot for A453 - like 50 pages but trust me, so many words it's unbelievable. Don't worry, you'll be fine.
Original post by habeeb_00
Jesus, 90 pages? I did about fifteen-twenty and came away with near full marks on both CAs...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I didn't do that many pages to just fill a quota, most of it is legit just the code in screenshots and tons of testing.

It's not, like, a thesis with tons of babble in my opinion.

Original post by Chittesh14
One of my friends had like 131 pages for A452 and quite a lot for A453 - like 50 pages but trust me, so many words it's unbelievable. Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Thank you, that's awesome to year.

He didn't get reported or anything like that then?
Original post by TB14
Well, I didn't do that many pages to just fill a quota, most of it is legit just the code in screenshots and tons of testing.

It's not, like, a thesis with tons of babble in my opinion.

Thank you, that's awesome to year.

He didn't get reported or anything like that then?

No... he's finished his GCSE this year with me.. lol and got a grade in Computing! If the teacher suspects you, they'll search and end up disqualifying you for cheating before even telling the exam board. So, if he did cheat he'd have got disqualified already.
Original post by Chittesh14
No... he's finished his GCSE this year with me.. lol and got a grade in Computing! If the teacher suspects you, they'll search and end up disqualifying you for cheating before even telling the exam board. So, if he did cheat he'd have got disqualified already.

Thanks, sorry for being a pain in the bum! I'm glad he did well (and you I suppose, hope you did well too!)I'm just worried that they'll pick me to be moderated and do the following:
"This kid has done lots of work. He's done more than his peers, maybe he did this outside of school? Hmm. Let's not take the risk." and then I'd be disqualified like that, if that makes sense?
Original post by TB14
Thanks, sorry for being a pain in the bum! I'm glad he did well (and you I suppose, hope you did well too!)I'm just worried that they'll pick me to be moderated and do the following:
"This kid has done lots of work. He's done more than his peers, maybe he did this outside of school? Hmm. Let's not take the risk." and then I'd be disqualified like that, if that makes sense?

You wouldn't get disqualified like that mate lol. Don't worry, you're not - I understand that you're worried and you're just asking questions.
Thanks and yeah I did good :smile:. They'll moderate you if you got the best results obviously, but if someone feels suspicious then they'll contact your school to carry out an investigation. And if you're fine, then there will be no disqualification. If you haven't cheated, then the investigation cannot be unsuccessful - so you're fine? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending