The Student Room Group

Feeling so low, want to drop out of uni because of them..

Basically, last year there were a group of girls from sixth form who I really didn't like. One of my close guy mates became close to these girls and he had a thing with one of the girls from the group. Towards the end of year 13, I just felt really betrayed by him because he would brush me off just to hang out with them (despite me being mates with him since primary school). So I ended up cutting contact with him.
They all went off to uni and I took a year out to re do my a levels. During my year out, another one of my best guy friends decides to join the group of girls. At this point, I just felt so upset- me and him had spent so much time together and I had confided in him about how much I disliked the girls.

During january time, my friends and the girls had a huge falling out with these girls. The guys took the side of the group of girls so I definitely knew where I stood with them. But I thought to myself **** it, I'm gonna move away for uni and get away from them.

Fast forward to results day, I miss my firm at durham and end up at the same local uni as these girls. I finally got over crying at the fact that I missed durham and now have to attend a uni which isn't even a russell group. I actually started to look forward to uni. But today, at work I saw all of them together. My old mates with them lot. They approached me and asked so I told them and the look of smugness all over their faces...I can't do it. They all study life sciences at the uni which is what I'll be studying so I'll definitely see them around because they all hang around in the building. I can't deal with the *****iness, their smug faces or how the guys snaked me out. Its actually starting to really get to me. I wanna drop out before I've begun because I dread seeing them.
Hi you don't have to worry and be so anxious! Everytime they come in front of you, put up a confident face. Also, once you start university you will find nice people so hang out with them. Keep your time to yourself, study in the library and get involved in some sport clubs or some socities. It will keep you busy and away from all this drama x ❤️❤️❤️
Also which university are you going to now? x
Reply 3
Original post by Cocopops121
Also which university are you going to now? x

I don't really wanna say lol just in case someone I know does end up reading this thread..thanks for the advice tho xx
Just go somewhere else... the worse the university the easier it is to find a similar alternative.
Reply 5
dw OP. Since you're a first year I doubt you'll be seeing them that much. Ignore them and focus on building your own solid friendships at uni. If you are really apprehensive about the whole thing though, could you see yourself taking a year out and reapplying elsewhere?
Reply 6
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Just go somewhere else... the worse the university the easier it is to find a similar alternative.

The universitys in the top 20, all the places above that particular uni don't have courses in clearing :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Tai Ga
dw OP. Since you're a first year I doubt you'll be seeing them that much. Ignore them and focus on building your own solid friendships at uni. If you are really apprehensive about the whole thing though, could you see yourself taking a year out and reapplying elsewhere?

I've already taken a year out so I don't really fancy taking another one out :frown:
Congrats on getting an offer. Accept your place at Uni and try not to worry. If you let them control where you go (even without them realising it) you will end up hating them even more. Universities are big places and even in the same faculty you will probably not see them very often. You don't need to have accommodation near them and will very soon gain friends with others who are starting at the same time as you.

It's a new chapter of your life that you have worked really hard to achieve. If these people don't deserve your friendship, don't give them space in your head.
Original post by Anonymous
Basically, last year there were a group of girls from sixth form who I really didn't like. One of my close guy mates became close to these girls and he had a thing with one of the girls from the group. Towards the end of year 13, I just felt really betrayed by him because he would brush me off just to hang out with them (despite me being mates with him since primary school). So I ended up cutting contact with him.
They all went off to uni and I took a year out to re do my a levels. During my year out, another one of my best guy friends decides to join the group of girls. At this point, I just felt so upset- me and him had spent so much time together and I had confided in him about how much I disliked the girls.

During january time, my friends and the girls had a huge falling out with these girls. The guys took the side of the group of girls so I definitely knew where I stood with them. But I thought to myself **** it, I'm gonna move away for uni and get away from them.

Fast forward to results day, I miss my firm at durham and end up at the same local uni as these girls. I finally got over crying at the fact that I missed durham and now have to attend a uni which isn't even a russell group. I actually started to look forward to uni. But today, at work I saw all of them together. My old mates with them lot. They approached me and asked so I told them and the look of smugness all over their faces...I can't do it. They all study life sciences at the uni which is what I'll be studying so I'll definitely see them around because they all hang around in the building. I can't deal with the *****iness, their smug faces or how the guys snaked me out. Its actually starting to really get to me. I wanna drop out before I've begun because I dread seeing them.

This really reminds me of how I would have felt going to one of the local unis that people from my school usually go to. Personally, if it was me I would take another year out and go somewhere else but that's me so it totally depends on what you want to do. Do you like the local uni apart from the people you don't like who go there? Why did you apply there and have it as your insurance choice? If you decide to go to the local uni, there will be thousands of other people there so just try and make friends with other people. You won't be forced to spend time with these girls at uni in the same way you were at school because there are so many more people. If you do see them sometimes just act confidently; if you look happy and confident they won't be able to look smug etc. in the same way. Do you know what halls they're in? If you do then apply to different halls. If you decide you want to reapply somewhere else then that's fine too. You'll only be 20 when you go which is still totally normal and would be worth it if you have a much better uni experience. What GCSE, AS and A Level grades did you get, if you don't mind me asking?
Universities have thousands of people to go out and meet, don't let a group of 5 or 6 or however many they are stop you from going out there and meeting them! If they've already started then they'll be a year or two above you and you'll honestly never see them, it took me serious effort and coordination to meet up with friends doing the same course but in first year instead of 3rd like me. Where you go doesn't matter as long as you work your ass off. People from high school honestly don't matter, within 5 years of finishing most of them will have been out of your life for at least 3 or 4, and by 10 years you'll forget all of them. They're not worth your future so don't hold yourself back on account of them
Why did you feel 'betrayed'? Your friends can't have other friends?
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous

By the moment 'your friends' did that to you, that means they weren't so good friends, so they don't worth your sadness seriously. From the other hand it's so normal to feel like this. I am sure if you understand that you will be fine and stronger. If you feel like changing university it's your choice, just start the procedure and you will do it. This is life, I did also so many things and to be Honest I will never regret it because that's what I decided that moment. you can do it.
If is an age thing that is holding you back from taking another year out, don't let it worry you :-) im 23 and off to do my 1st year at uni. You really do have to be happy with where you are going as you only get to do this once :-)
Maybe try and get a place somewhere else :-) xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending