The Student Room Group

further maths and economics advice

should i do further maths at A level i got an A 1 mark off A* and what about Economics i got a combination of As and Bs at my GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Do you have any ideas about what do you want to do at university?
Reply 2
I probably do a maths degree
Original post by homere

If you want to apply to a competitive university for Maths then I strongly recommend you take Further Maths.

It is definitely a lot of work so be prepared to spend a lot of time and energy on it.
Reply 4
I just wanted to know if i could do it as a lot of people told me its really hard
I want to go to a uni in the Russel group i think that is top 20. Also what about Economics is it worth it?
Original post by homere

Then at least do Further Maths AS if it is available.
Reply 6
Original post by NamelessPersona
Then at least do Further Maths AS if it is available.

i think i have to carry it onto the second year as our year does only 3 A levels
Original post by homere
I just wanted to know if i could do it as a lot of people told me its really hard
I want to go to a uni in the Russel group i think that is top 20. Also what about Economics is it worth it?

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'worth it'. I do Economics A Level and I want to study it at university because I enjoy so it is definitely worth it for me. I still think that doing Further Maths would be a huge advantage for you when you apply for Maths courses. Economics doesn't really do anything for you.

On whether you could do it, I think you should try it at least to AS like NamelessPersona said. If you feel that it is getting difficult then drop it at the end of Year 12. Even having the AS qualification will be extremely advantageous when applying to Russell Group unis.
Reply 8
Original post by BasicMistake
I'm not really sure what you mean by 'worth it'. I do Economics A Level and I want to study it at university because I enjoy so it is definitely worth it for me. I still think that doing Further Maths would be a huge advantage for you when you apply for Maths courses. Economics doesn't really do anything for you.

On whether you could do it, I think you should try it at least to AS like NamelessPersona said. If you feel that it is getting difficult then drop it at the end of Year 12. Even having the AS qualification will be extremely advantageous when applying to Russell Group unis.

I dont know if this is true but for our year A levels have changed we only pick 3 and we have to carry it onto the second year that is why i am cautious at what i pick. Thanks for replying i appreciate it.
Original post by homere
I dont know if this is true but for our year A levels have changed we only pick 3 and we have to carry it onto the second year that is why i am cautious at what i pick. Thanks for replying i appreciate it.

Hmm, do you know which modules you will take for Further Maths? Do you do Decision Maths?
Original post by homere
i think i have to carry it onto the second year as our year does only 3 A levels

If you are absolutely sure you are going to apply for maths then take it. Ideally your 3 A levels should be Maths, Further Maths and Physics (however Physics could be swapped for any other respectable subject). With regards to difficulty, it is not too difficult in my opinion, however it really depends on the individual.
Reply 11
Hmm, do you know which modules you will take for Further Maths? Do you do Decision Maths?

modules we take for further maths are: This is AS
Further Pure 1
Mechanics 1
Decision mathematics 1
And for second year we do:
Further pure 2
Further pure 3
Mechanics 3 or probability and statistics 3
Reply 12
Original post by NamelessPersona
If you are absolutely sure you are going to apply for maths then take it. Ideally your 3 A levels should be Maths, Further Maths and Physics (however Physics could be swapped for any other respectable subject). With regards to difficulty, it is not too difficult in my opinion, however it really depends on the individual.

what subject could you replace Physics with as i didn't do too well on Physics at GCSE. Thanks for replying.
Original post by homere
modules we take for further maths are: This is AS
Further Pure 1
Mechanics 1
Decision mathematics 1
And for second year we do:
Further pure 2
Further pure 3
Mechanics 3 or probability and statistics 3

How about your Maths modules?

Also, what is your other subject?
Reply 14
How about your Maths modules?

Also, what is your other subject?

Math modules are:
Core 1
Core 2
Probability and statistics 1
second year:
core 3
core 4
probability and statistics 2 or mechanics 2
my other subject was meant to be Economics but you advised not to do it so i dont know maybe Chemistry.
Original post by homere
Math modules are:
Core 1
Core 2
Probability and statistics 1
second year:
core 3
core 4
probability and statistics 2 or mechanics 2
my other subject was meant to be Economics but you advised not to do it so i dont know maybe Chemistry.

I assumed from the title that you only had one choice left. In that case, Economics is as good a choice as any. If you do decide to take up Further Maths, that frees up the third spot for most other subjects. NamelessPersona is right when he says the 'best' choice would be Physics because it is the most maths oriented subject (other than Maths) but it isn't very important if you have Further. Any subject that isn't considered 'soft' would be a good choice.

I still think the best course for you is to take Maths, Further Maths plus something you really enjoy (but is still facilitating).
Reply 16
I assumed from the title that you only had one choice left. In that case, Economics is as good a choice as any. If you do decide to take up Further Maths, that frees up the third spot for most other subjects. NamelessPersona is right when he says the 'best' choice would be Physics because it is the most maths oriented subject (other than Maths) but it isn't very important if you have Further. Any subject that isn't considered 'soft' would be a good choice.

I still think the best course for you is to take Maths, Further Maths plus something you really enjoy (but is still facilitating).

thanks ill do this maths, further maths and economics. I want to do something that i would enjoy rather than economics. Any suggestions?
Reply 17
Original post by homere

Tbh if your gonna do a math degree than you really should be doing further math as further math becomes nothing in your first year degree.
Also everyone who does further automatically gets atleast an A at normal math without revision cause further makes normal look so easy.

EDIT: And disadvantage for Econ is that if you don't follow certain aspects of the news than it'll make it harder. It's better to do it only if your interested. Consider IT it isn't so soft and apparently is easy to get an A
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by homere
thanks ill do this maths, further maths and economics. I want to do something that i would enjoy rather than economics. Any suggestions?

Flick through a list of subjects available at your college and decide what interests you most. Maybe Computer Science might be something that interests you? But yes, Maths, FM and Physics is a pretty common combination.

Go for further maths if you want. I scraped an A* (90.0%) at GCSE maths but coped pretty well with self teaching AS/A2 FM in Year 13. GCSE performances are something of an indicator but you can honestly step it up at AS and go on to do well, or equally have done realy well at GCSE and then struggled at AS. It's not so much what grade you get at GCSE as how hard you work at AS that determines your grade.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Rkai01
Tbh if your gonna do a math degree than you really should be doing further math as further math becomes nothing in your first year degree.
Also everyone who does further automatically gets atleast an A at normal math without revision cause further makes normal look so easy.

EDIT: And disadvantage for Econ is that if you don't follow certain aspects of the news than it'll make it harder. It's better to do it only if your interested. Consider IT it isn't so soft and apparently is easy to get an A

what can i replace Economics with?

Quick Reply

Latest