The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I was just wondering for someone who wants to get into medicine (or biochemistry), is 4 A*s , 3 As and 2 Bs good enough to compete with other people? The 4 A*s I got was for the subjects I picked for A level (Maths and all three sciences) , but its just that I found lots of people who want to do medicine achieve 7 to 9 A*s. I know it is the A level results that are the most important when applying for unis, but a lot of us would have similar results in A level so they would probably decide by looking at GCSE grades.
Results
Subject: Predicted ? / Achieved ?
Maths (Edexcel): A* / A*
Biology (AQA): A* / A
Chemistry (AQA): A / A*
Physics (AQA): A / A*
Religious Studies (WJEC): A* / A
French (AQA): A / A
English Language (AQA): A / A*
Further Maths (AQA): A^/ A^
Geography (AQA): A*/A*
English Literature (AQA): A/ A
Computing (OCR): B/ A*

Comments and reactions
Very happy and very very relieved to do well! 1 mark of an A* in biology and RS but still fine with an A. A relief to get an A^ in further maths as I had doubts! Computing was such a surprise I didnt expect it at all since half the course was self taught after poor teaching haha

Future ambitions
Doing A-Level Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography. Probably drop geography and go to university and at the moment im looking to get a phd in mathematical biology:smile:
You all look like you did really well, I feel a bit stupid

Double award science : AA
Further Maths: B
English Lit: C
English Lang: C
French: C
ICT: A
Maths: A*
Technology and design: B
RE short course: A*
6 A's (English language, Literature, biology, chemistry, physics, history)
1 A* (RS)
1 B (maths)
1 D (drama)
1 F (business studies)

overall, feeling alright with results. i didn't bother with business but i regret it now, although i expected to fail. Drama teacher told me coursework was at a B, but on the paper it said it was at a G...however, exam was a B, so D overall sounds about right. im a bit disapointed i didnt get more A* but oh well.
Results
Maths: Predicted A* / Achieved A*

Biology: Predicted A*/ Achieved A*

Chemistry: Predicted A* / Achieved A*

Physics: Predicted A* / Achieved A*

English Lan: Predicted A*/ Achieved A*

English Lit: Predicted A* / Achieved A*

Geography: Predicted A* / Achieved A*

French: Predicted A* / Achieved A*

RS: Predicted A / Achieved A*

DT: Predicted A / Achieved A

Comments and reactions:
Extremely happy with my results. Especially considering my school was in special measures since year 10, I had no teachers and we had strikes 3 days a week for 3 months in spring of year 11. I just did all my work at home and it paid off :smile:. One thing I learnt was that I should have worked harder on my coursework.

Future ambitions:
I have no idea what to do an uni (lol). Have considered chemical engineering and biochemistry. I've picked a hollistic set of A levels to keep my options open.
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol different subjects but I was predicted the same and achieved the same as you. Well done! :smile:
Original post by kate37
Okay here we go...

Results
Maths: A* / A*
Biology: A* / A*
Physics: A* / A*
Chemistry: A / A*
English Lit: A* / A*
English Lang: A* / A*
History: A*/ A*
PE: A / A*
Drama: A* / A
Spanish: A* / A*

TOTAL PREDICTED: 8A*s and 2As
TOTAL ACHIEVED: 9A*s and 1A

Comments and reactions
I'm really pleased! But I am annoyed with Drama because that was the only one I was certain I'd get an A* in but I got an A (a C in the performance from a text what!?:colondollar: It was just on the grade boundary for a B though). I think all of the drama papers etc are getting sent back because the school thinks the marks are too harsh but tbh I don't mind if it stays as an A because I'm extremely happy with everything else - but would like 10A*s!
Because I got an A* in Maths I might take it for AS Level but need to consider that further...

Future ambitions
I want to carry on at my school's sixth form for which I need the point average equivalent of 4As and 4Bs.
After that I plan to go to University but where and for what I'm not sure, but I've had a look at Ecology and Environmental Sciences and those are the sort of courses I'm interested in!!
Gonna go like this, subject - grade - predicted

English lit - A* - A
English Lang - A - A
History - A - B
Geography - A - B
RS - A - A
Maths - A - A
Biology - C - C
Music - B - C
French - A* - A

Predictions overall: 5As 2Bs 2Cs
Actual results: 2A*s 5As 1B 1C
Overall I'm happy as I thought i would o wayyy worse. However, my English language, music, geography, RS and history are all being sent in to be remarked as I was 1% off the next grade boundary. How likely is it that my grade will actually go up? Because if they all went up that would means I would have 6 A*s 2As and 1C (I don't really care about the C as I suck at science, if it annoys me too much I can just retake the exam).

For a levels I'm doing English, Economics, French and Maths AS.

Future:
I want it go to UCLA and I'm considering going into business, I'm not sure though. What careers would suit me judging by my GCSE results, and would I have a chance of UCLA or do I have to retake some?
(edited 7 years ago)
Maths - Predicted A* / Achieved A* (😁 Maths has always been my best subject)
English Language - Achieved B (took early in November)
English Literature - Predicted B/ Achieved A 😀
French - Predicted A/ Achieved A* 🎉🎉
Further Maths - No prediction as we only did 1 hour after school once a week so I basically had to teach myself it / Achieved A 🙂
EDCL (computer driving licence) - Achieved A*
Religious Studies - Predicted A, but got a* in every mock / Achieved A (2 UMS of A* 😮)
Core Science / Predicted A / Achieved A 😆
Additional Science / Predicted A / Achieved A 😆
Business Studies / Predicted A* / Achieved B 😩- only one I'm disappointed about but I smashed both papers but unfortunately my teacher marked the whole classes coursework wrong and told me I had an A* which actually got moved down by just under 20 marks to a C - have no idea what happened there

Overall I'm really impressed and happy with my results considering I go to a comprehensive school, however I am going to be starting a grammar school in September to study for my A levels 😁🎉
Results
English Literature: Predicted A* / Achieved A*
English Language: Predicted A / Achieved A*
Maths: Predicted A / Achieved A*
Biology: Predicted A / Achieved A*
Spanish: Predicted B / Achieved A*
History: Predicted A / Achieved A*

Comments and reactions
I'm so happy with my results and being able to post them here because they've meant that I can go to csfc with a full scholarship. I'm so happy to be able to help my parents out/

Future ambitions
I want to get results like this next year and the year after and go on to study medicine.
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Results
Biology: Predicted A* / Achieved A*
English Language: Predicted B ? / Achieved A
English Literature: Predicted B / Achieved B
Maths: Predicted A / Achieved A
History: Predicted A* / Achieved A*(100% :biggrin:)
Food Technology: Predicted A / Achieved A
ICT: Predicted A / Achieved A*
Statistics : Predicted A/ Achieved A
Religious Studies: Predicted A*/ Achieved A*
German: Predicted A/ Achieved A*

Comments and reactions

So 7 A*s, 4 As and B in total. I'm over the moon! Ecstatic with A in maths but lil disappointed with English

Future ambitions
Law at some mad crazy uni.

In history you can only find out if you got 100% if you apply to the exam board for your exam back the 100 means 100 ums points which means you are in the top 10% of the country
Original post by VHarvey
Results
Maths: Predicted A / Achieved A*
Spanish: Predicted B / Achieved A*
History: Predicted A / Achieved A*

Comments and reactions
I'm so happy with my results and being able to post them here because they've meant that I can go to csfc with a full scholarship. I'm so happy to be able to help my parents out/

Future ambitions
I want to get results like this next year and the year after and go on to study medicine.

Do u have any revision tips that u used to get 100% in history?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Results
Biology: Predicted A* / Achieved A*
Latin: Predicted A* / Achieved A*
History: Predicted A* / Achieved A*
RS: Predicted A* / Achieved A*
English Language: Predicted A* / Achieved A*
German: Predicted A* / Achieved A*

Comments and reactions
Really happy with my results :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. Had a lot of pressure to get 11 A* and I did it!!!!

Future ambitions
Going to do Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Latin at A level and study engineering at Uni. Looking forward to it!!!
Im still in year 10 and i have done my math and arabic exam and i have done well
Arabic predicted B but i got an A *
Math predicted a C but got an A

Reactions

I am still in shock about my results as i am still in year 10 going to 11 and got As.

Future ambitions

I want to open my own factory in Dubai wheni finish uni and studie managment
I am currently on Holiday, so I got these results from my mother through phone as she was picking up my results. I do not know if she is joking in which case the grades she told me couldbbe completely different to the grades I actually have. Better wait until I return to see myself!

Results
Maths: Predicted A / Achieved A
English Literature: Predicted B / Achieved B
English Language: Predicted A / Achieved C
Add. Science: Predicted A / Achieved A
R.E: Predicted A* / Achieved B
Bus. Studies: Predicted A* / Achieved B
Geography: Predicted A / Achieved A
History: Predicted B / Achieved A
Citizenship: Predicted B / Achieved B

Comments and Reactions
Dramatically different than what I had expected. Really proud of my History grade, which was bumped from the C I got in the mocks. In my Science Exam, I botched a 6 marker but survived with an A also. Most of the grades (well some) I really disapprove of. Business is one of them in which my Controlled Assessment grade was an A*, and along with a very easy exam paper, I was expecting to smash that one also. I ended up with a B, considering that I answered every question with precise detail, I will be protesting that mark once I return.
I also disagree with my RE grade. As an A* student, this grade really knocked me off the shelves because both papers were not hard and I came in with a good understanding of my quotes, key parts of topics (eg Views on Capital Punishment) et cetera but looking at the tight grade boundaries, I was expecting an A at least. The C in language is really abrupt as I ended up with a high B in my coursework, along with an easy exam. I personally feel that the examiners were either too harsh on me or had made mistakes, this is my opinion but I may've exaggerated. Remarks are indefinite at this point, don't know my UMS marks yet.

Future Ambitions
I am aspiring to work in the Finance Sector in the coming years after University, so Maths and Business are two core topics I must focus on, especially within the next 2 years while I do my A-Levels.
Results
Physics: Predicted A / Achieved A*
Spanish: Predicted A* / Achieved A*
Geography: Predicted A / Achieved A*
English Literature: Predicted A / Achieved A*
Further Maths: Predicted A* / Achieved A*

Comments and reactions
Oh my god, I never expected to get that!! Feeling like all the hard work was worth it :smile: 11A*s, I never thought it would happen to me.

Future ambitions
Going to do Maths, Biology and Chemistry at A level with a vision to studying medicine
(edited 7 years ago)
Results
Maths (CCEA) : B
English Lang ( CCEA) : A
English Lit (CCEA) : B
Religious Studies (AQA) : A
Geography (CCEA) : A
French (AQA) : A
ICT (CCEA) : A*
Double Award Science (CCEA) : AB

Comments and reactions
I am really really happy with my results overall. I was shocked at my A in Religious Studies as I hated every minute!

Future ambitions
I am returning to my grammar school to sixth form to hopefully study ICT, Sociology and Geography at A-Level.

Congratulations everyone! Hard work pays off.
To anyone who didn't do as well as they wanted, I know what that feels like too. Keep your head up, there are lots of options available to you. Don't give up hope. :smile:
Original post by doggydoodoo
Results
Physics: Predicted A / Achieved A*
Spanish: Predicted A* / Achieved A*
Geography: Predicted A / Achieved A*
English Literature: Predicted A / Achieved A*
Further Maths: Predicted A* / Achieved A*

Comments and reactions
Oh my god, I never expected to get that!! Feeling like all the hard work was worth it :smile: 11A*s, I never thought it would happen to me.

Future ambitions
Going to do Maths, Biology and Chemistry at A level with a vision to studying medicine

Not too shabby, well done xD
Original post by Jono-Wolf
Not too shabby, well done xD

Well done on your grades as well! 14A*s and 2As. Man that's amazing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't remember what I was predicted, but think is what I think:

Results

Maths: Predicted A* / Predicted A*
Geography: Predicted B / Achieved A*
Graphics: Predicted D / Achieved D
Religious Studies: Predicted A / Achieved A*
English Language: Predicted B / Achieved B
Further Mathematics: Predicted A^ / Achieved A^
English Literature: Predicted C1 / Achieved A
Chemistry: Predicted A / Achieved A
Computing: Predicted A / Achieved A

Comments and reactions

I was very pleased with my results. Me and my family were absolutely shocked! Going to have a party soon because my family want it, tbh so do I :wink:.

Future ambitions

I'm hoping to read Maths at a top university, hopefully top 15. I want to do 4 A-levels but my school is having trouble timetabling this so I might have to self-teach 1 A-level. Good luck me <3
[QUOTE="caitlinford3;67240290"]
Original post by Naruto Uzumak1

I feel like I needed this! Thank you so much

No worries! Always keep your conviction, because, without it, you won't get anywhere, and you seem like a very determined person who knows what they want from life, so don't worry too much! As Ron said to Harry at the end of the Philosopher's Stone (loosely quoted), "Don't let the muggles get you down!" :P

Latest