The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Chances of getting into Oxford for an MSc?

Hi,
Im looking to apply for a masters at Oxford for 2017 entry within the politics/social policy area.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PostGrad221
Hi,
Im looking to apply for a masters at Oxford for 2017 entry within the politics/social policy area.

I already hold offers from the LSE and UCL.

I achieved a high 2.1 (68%) from a good law school this summer and had quite a few firsts in modules with some awards for highest marks. I have relevant government experience etc.

With those grades would I stand a good chance?

Yes, obviously.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by PostGrad221

I already hold offers from the LSE and UCL.

I achieved a high 2.1 (68%) from a good law school this summer and had quite a few firsts in modules with some awards for highest marks. I have relevant government experience etc.

With those grades would I stand a good chance?

That sounds viable. 'Viable' does not necessarily mean 'a good chance', that depends on all sorts of other factors—depending on the year and programme there might be lots of other viable applicants. Whichever faculty you apply to is likely to be interested in your positioning and fit for Oxford in particular: do your interests line up with the course's strengths, are you sketching out a potential dissertation project which would use particular supervision or resources that they have? And so on.

For most of us trying to estimate what an applicant's chance is likely to be is a mug's game. You might or might not get a place. But I doubt that kind of profile would be rejected immediately out-of-hand.
Anyone else?
Reply 4
I agree with the above posters. You're in a decent position, but there's no way to predict the outcome. With places at UCL and LSE, you must have nailed the academic references and application.

Remember that it's not just about you though. If most other applicants have the same experience and a solid First, you might be further down the list. If most have a high 2:1 and the same experience, it'll be more of a level playing field. There's no way to know how that aspect will look.

Either way, you'll be losing one or two application fees.*
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending