The Student Room Group

GCSE Remark? English Literature?

Hey,

Basically I am concerned about one of my English Literature paper marks, overall I got a low A grade. I am quite happy with an A however there seems to be a serious outlier.

Coursework - *53/60 UMS* = A 54/60 - A*
Of Mice and Men = *59/60 UMS* = A*
Modern Drama = *33/60 UMS* = D D = 26 and C = 36
Prose and Poetry = *49/60 UMS* = A A= 48 A* = 54
(All worth 25% of my final grade)

I am happy with all the marks but very surprised with my Modern Drama grade as I thought this went as well as the Of Mice and Men Exam (They were back to back exams so easily comparable) of which I did really well in. Would I have answered the wrong question but then surely I'd have got no marks? Also I always looked at the question throughout answering to formulate my response for each paragraph so this is highly unlikely. Is it worth getting a review of marking or not worth the risk as I am 2 UMS in to an A. Just not sure what happened there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Which exam board is it?

Some boards allow you to request a photocopy of the paper before you decide whether to go for a re-mark, so you(and maybe your teacher) can see whether you think it's worth the risk.
I'm also going for a remark in the same course as yourself, although I sat the Shakespeare and English Heritage exam instead of the poetry one, because I don't feel that AQA marked my papers (particularly the Shakespeare one) properly.
Don't be afraid to get a remark - the marking for English Lit are very fickle (it baffles me as to how marks are awarded) and, I remember correctly, I've seen people complain about getting a lower-than-expected grade in English Lit (I was personally expecting an A*, but I got an A instead - somewhat disheartening as I'm studying it in sixth form).
Whatever you do, good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Soraia
Which exam board is it?

Some boards allow you to request a photocopy of the paper before you decide whether to go for a re-mark, so you(and maybe your teacher) can see whether you think it's worth the risk.

This was OCR and on the sheet from my exams officer about Post Results Services unfortunately it's not available except for with Edexcel, otherwise that would've for sure been best, thank you :smile: & Yeah that's what I'm apprehensive about, however I really don't understand how it could've been a D, I used the extract question and I think it was just what makes this significant/ important so I wouldn't have completely missed the point, hmmmm, very unsure.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by CharmingCat
I'm also going for a remark in the same course as yourself, although I sat the Shakespeare and English Heritage exam instead of the poetry one, because I don't feel that AQA marked my papers (particularly the Shakespeare one) properly.
Don't be afraid to get a remark - the marking for English Lit are very fickle (it baffles me as to how marks are awarded) and, I remember correctly, I've seen people complain about getting a lower-than-expected grade in English Lit (I was personally expecting an A*, but I got an A instead - somewhat disheartening as I'm studying it in sixth form).
Whatever you do, good luck!

Thank you, best of luck to you too for your A - Levels and in getting the correct marks back! :smile: I feel there must've been some sort of error with my mark too, it doesn't seem right so I am probably going to go for it and not be afraid like you said, will ask for advice from the Head of Department by email or something too as I think you have to have the heads up from them anyway.
Original post by student2607
Thank you, best of luck to you too for your A - Levels and in getting the correct marks back! :smile: I feel there must've been some sort of error with my mark too, it doesn't seem right so I am probably going to go for it and not be afraid like you said, will ask for advice from the Head of Department by email or something too as I think you have to have the heads up from them anyway.

You're welcome! Believe me, I now feel less doubtful of my abilities as so many others are in the same position as us - it is simply unfair that our papers are not being marked properly. :/
Seriously, what's the point?

Posted from TSR Mobile
THIS IS ME THIS IS ME. I also got a mid to high A* in everything except Modern Drama on OCR. I got a C in my Modern Drama leading me to get 213 UMS overall, 3 UMS under the A* boundary (? Is this correct? 216 is A* right?) I'm with you man, tell me what you decide to do
I'm doing Edexcel IGCSE English Lang+Lit..probably going to remark my second Eng Lit paper as I'm 3 marks off A* overall for Eng Lit.
Original post by moggygeorgieee
THIS IS ME THIS IS ME. I also got a mid to high A* in everything except Modern Drama on OCR. I got a C in my Modern Drama leading me to get 213 UMS overall, 3 UMS under the A* boundary (? Is this correct? 216 is A* right?) I'm with you man, tell me what you decide to do

Hmm yeah that does seem fishy, especially considering that's the same exam board and exam that I have an issue with. My English teachers said they're looking for unusual grades early next week and will let me know what they decide, but they agree it seems odd and therefore will likely be sent for reviewing I think& Yes it is 216 for an A*, so best of luck if you decide to get yours reviewed! :smile:
Original post by student2607
Hmm yeah that does seem fishy, especially considering that's the same exam board and exam that I have an issue with. My English teachers said they're looking for unusual grades early next week and will let me know what they decide, but they agree it seems odd and therefore will likely be sent for reviewing I think& Yes it is 216 for an A*, so best of luck if you decide to get yours reviewed! :smile:

Thanks man! Best of luck to you too :biggrin::colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest