The Student Room Group

Taking a 2nd gap year... is it the right choice?

When I finished studying my A-Levels in 2015, I took out a gap year because I was unsure of whether I wanted to go to uni or what I wanted to study.

I applied this year to UoB and Birmingham City University (didn't want to leave home) and was re-taking an English paper to get an A for UoB. When my results came through I'd only achieved a B, so UoB rejected me leaving me with BCU. I was upset because UoB is a great uni, especially for my course (English), and BCU is a lot less prestigious. I was already miffed at going to a third(?) rate uni, but then picking accomodation made it even worse because I had to choose out of what was left - living in Perry Barr, which was a while away from campus and honestly not a nice area. I came to the revelation that I didn't want to stay in B'ham at all and wanted to move away.

However, by this point, all the good clearing places were gone and not much was left. Good uni's that would've taken me (Liverpool, Leicester) were gone and would not accept me. I had to choose between going to BCU, going to another uni out of B'ham that I hadn't really 'picked' and was perhaps below my academic performance, or waiting another year but applying to uni's within my academic range and ones that I've actually visited and actually chosen as my options.

I feel bummed though because I've already waited a year to go to uni and now am waiting another while most my friends leave this year. Am I making the right choice? Would it be better to just pick a uni now and head off, or wait another year so that my decision is more informed and tailored to my standards?

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lightfagami
When I finished studying my A-Levels in 2015, I took out a gap year because I was unsure of whether I wanted to go to uni or what I wanted to study.

I applied this year to UoB and Birmingham City University (didn't want to leave home) and was re-taking an English paper to get an A for UoB. When my results came through I'd only achieved a B, so UoB rejected me leaving me with BCU. I was upset because UoB is a great uni, especially for my course (English), and BCU is a lot less prestigious. I was already miffed at going to a third(?) rate uni, but then picking accomodation made it even worse because I had to choose out of what was left - living in Perry Barr, which was a while away from campus and honestly not a nice area. I came to the revelation that I didn't want to stay in B'ham at all and wanted to move away.

However, by this point, all the good clearing places were gone and not much was left. Good uni's that would've taken me (Liverpool, Leicester) were gone and would not accept me. I had to choose between going to BCU, going to another uni out of B'ham that I hadn't really 'picked' and was perhaps below my academic performance, or waiting another year but applying to uni's within my academic range and ones that I've actually visited and actually chosen as my options.

I feel bummed though because I've already waited a year to go to uni and now am waiting another while most my friends leave this year. Am I making the right choice? Would it be better to just pick a uni now and head off, or wait another year so that my decision is more informed and tailored to my standards?

Thanks.

Apply when the right courses at the right universities are available. There's no rush...

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you know you won't be happy then the right choice is to wait another year! There is no rush to start university and there are more people than you think who start uni 20+!
It is every important that you pick the right thing for you and that you're happy there! You're going to be there for three years (at least) so you have to ensure its the right place for you!

If anything it would be worse to rush as if you ended not enjoying it so much you then drop out you would have wasted your time and money!

I feel like you know what you want and you just need to be assured it's okay to do so!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending