The Student Room Group

Is Cambridge for me?

Hi guys,
I've never posted on here before but I really need advice for choosing a uni! So I loved Cambridge when I visited, and I want to study somewhere with high standards, but I also want to have fun and make memories, and I worry that I'll miss out on the social side of uni at Cambridge! Can anyone give me their own experience of life at Cambridge?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jakethomas99
Hi guys,
I've never posted on here before but I really need advice for choosing a uni! So I loved Cambridge when I visited, and I want to study somewhere with high standards, but I also want to have fun and make memories, and I worry that I'll miss out on the social side of uni at Cambridge, for example since there isn't a freshers week! Can anyone give me their own experience of life at Cambridge?

They have freshers week.....
Reply 2
Really? I have a friend who is starting next month who says they don't?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really? I have a friend who is starting next month who says they don't?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ask your friend again. :wink:
Reply 4
Well I guess she'll get a pleasant surprise!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Regardless though, I still have the same concerns!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I guess she'll get a pleasant surprise!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm very surprised if she still doesn't know there'll be a freshers week......
Reply 7
Well let's forget about freshers week! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Regardless though, I still have the same concerns!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Work hard, play hard......is how many Cambridge students live.
As long as you're good at time-management, you'll be fine.
You won't have as much free time as students who go to less rigorous uni, but almost all students at Cambridge enjoy their social life too, and it's very important to have non-academic life, or you'll go insane. :wink:
Hey! Current student here. It is hard work, sure but it's very much work hard, play hard(er!). I've had the best time so far and tbh I've done way more than any of my friends at other unis in spite of higher workloads and shorter terms (though that may not, in all cases, be a reflection on the uni). There are lots of things to get involved in wherever you end up going but Cambridge certainly isn't lacking.
Thanks for the responses!! Much love:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the responses!! Much love:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have more questions - and there is no such thing as a stupid one! - then check out #CambTweet on twitter, current students running accounts in most subjects, from a variety of colleges! You can tweet us with questions any time but we're doing a Q&A hour on Sunday at 9pm where we'll try to answer asap.
Original post by Paralove
Hey! Current student here. It is hard work, sure but it's very much work hard, play hard(er!). I've had the best time so far and tbh I've done way more than any of my friends at other unis in spite of higher workloads and shorter terms (though that may not, in all cases, be a reflection on the uni). There are lots of things to get involved in wherever you end up going but Cambridge certainly isn't lacking.

may I ask how you manage your time? Roughly how many hours work per day would you say you do on average
Reply 13
Original post by metrize
may I ask how you manage your time? Roughly how many hours work per day would you say you do on average

I average about 40-45 hours a week, more towards the former, including all contact hours (about 10) plus independent study. Time management is still a thing I'm learning... like starting my essays earlier for example. Though I get a year off this year (yay for year abroad!). But yeah, it's certainly manageable, and I don't average it out across the week because that's just the way I tend to work, one day might be nothing apart from my contact hours, others I might be in the library all day - it really depends on what else I have going on, and how I'm feeling. The total hours is definitely less in the first and last weeks as you're either waiting to get work (provided you've actually done your vacation work...) or you've been set vacation work and so you just leave it for that final week.
Original post by Paralove
I average about 40-45 hours a week, more towards the former, including all contact hours (about 10) plus independent study. Time management is still a thing I'm learning... like starting my essays earlier for example. Though I get a year off this year (yay for year abroad!). But yeah, it's certainly manageable, and I don't average it out across the week because that's just the way I tend to work, one day might be nothing apart from my contact hours, others I might be in the library all day - it really depends on what else I have going on, and how I'm feeling. The total hours is definitely less in the first and last weeks as you're either waiting to get work (provided you've actually done your vacation work...) or you've been set vacation work and so you just leave it for that final week.

interesting, thanks for the reply and have fun abroad!
Original post by metrize
interesting, thanks for the reply and have fun abroad!

I think 40-45 hrs a week may be a lower end of the range. For other courses, esp. sciences, you may spend more time on work.
If you're in year 12 do CUSUs shadowing scheme - I did it and found it amazing, and a much more normal uni than anyone would have you believe. The people are just people, some of them quiet introverts, some of them party all night people. I'd definitely recommend the uni based off my experience (but I was sadly rejected D:smile:
Original post by 1010marina
If you're in year 12 do CUSUs shadowing scheme - I did it and found it amazing, and a much more normal uni than anyone would have you believe. The people are just people, some of them quiet introverts, some of them party all night people. I'd definitely recommend the uni based off my experience (but I was sadly rejected D:smile:

Shadowing scheme is not available to everyone. Your school/social background has to meet certain criteria as its a part of Access programme.
But in OP is, it's a great scheme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending