The Student Room Group

Why are most women online like this?

I have done a month long experiment on attracting girls online on a chat website. Here are my results:

- 99% of the girls voluntarily came chatting with me in private, solely because I put up a picture of a very hot man and they thought I was that man. What's even more, just because of that picture they were more interested in me than ever and they wanted to find out all about me and wouldn't stop talking to me. Woman after woman would private message me, the one 5 minutes after the other, until it almost became spam.

- The minute I created another account (without the picture of a hot man), proceeded as usual to chat about things and being interesting to people, just like with the other account, not a single female came talking to me. Suddenly, no girl cared if I had a great personality or interesting things to say, or that I cared about them or that I was interested in them. Quite odd.

Now, obviously, I know there are some women who are not shallow, but there is something to be said about certain trends that manifest themselves in our society.
As a male, I am guilty of rejecting women based on their looks.. but my bubble was burst when all of a sudden I see women doing the same thing to men, all the while they have been forcefully claiming to me and everyone they talk to that they are 'definitely not like that' and that they 'care about a guy's personality first'. Right, well, my small experiment proved otherwise for this subset of women.

Any thoughts on this? Do we really live in a society where women secretly do this to men? Is this the reason why there are so many rejections from girls to guys on dating sites? I've read around some replies from women and they admit that they will block or ignore any guy that doesn't meet their unrealistic and over-the-top standards (e.g.: a 6 ft 2, pure muscle, successful, highly intelligent, charismatic business man).

Now, I don't and I've never understood women, so perhaps someone would like to shine some light on this.

Scroll to see replies

Online dating is a cesspit of stupidity, arrogance, shallowness and negativity. Expectations are set very high for both genders however ultimately women are given the most control.

Don't waste your time.
We live in a society where, regardless of sex, the first thing people judge others on is their appearance. That's... pretty much it.
Reply 3
Good advice, thanks.
I don't think this is a problem solely to do with women, but in any case... You yourself said you wouldn't date someone if you weren't attracted to them. And why should you? I don't understand where this whole 'you should date someone based on their personality' comes from. Of course, I would never be with someone long term if you didn't get on with them.... But of course everyone judges on looks! You've gotta be seen with someone, sleep next to them, sleep with them- of course you should be attracted to someone! Both looks and personality are important- but I guess looks are the first thing you notice because it's easy to tell whether you're attracted to someone or not, particularly online.
Original post by 571122
I have done a month long experiment on attracting girls online on a chat website. Here are my results:

- 99% of the girls voluntarily came chatting with me in private, solely because I put up a picture of a very hot man and they thought I was that man. What's even more, just because of that picture they were more interested in me than ever and they wanted to find out all about me and wouldn't stop talking to me. Woman after woman would private message me, the one 5 minutes after the other, until it almost became spam.

- The minute I created another account (without the picture of a hot man), proceeded as usual to chat about things and being interesting to people, just like with the other account, not a single female came talking to me. Suddenly, no girl cared if I had a great personality or interesting things to say, or that I cared about them or that I was interested in them. Quite odd.

Now, obviously, I know there are some women who are not shallow, but there is something to be said about certain trends that manifest themselves in our society.
As a male, I am guilty of rejecting women based on their looks.. but my bubble was burst when all of a sudden I see women doing the same thing to men, all the while they have been forcefully claiming to me and everyone they talk to that they are 'definitely not like that' and that they 'care about a guy's personality first'. Right, well, my small experiment proved otherwise for this subset of women.

Any thoughts on this? Do we really live in a society where women secretly do this to men? Is this the reason why there are so many rejections from girls to guys on dating sites? I've read around some replies from women and they admit that they will block or ignore any guy that doesn't meet their unrealistic and over-the-top standards (e.g.: a 6 ft 2, pure muscle, successful, highly intelligent, charismatic business man).

Now, I don't and I've never understood women, so perhaps someone would like to shine some light on this.

Do you know every woman online to make the assessment of most of them being shallow, no you do not, but I digress, would a lot of guys do this with a 'hot' girl online, course they would.
It's because your most likely to be finding the similar girls on dating sites. Try making dating someone whom you know well not someone from some dating site because that isn't going to last very long especially if it is based only on looks...

Posted from TSR Mobile
All I can say is that not every woman is on online chats so, your research is based on women who do online chatting and not women overall (as in, women who dont chat online with strangers). Therefore, on a basis of percentages less than 99% of women in the world would base their "interest" based on looks.
Also, you did say men do that too. Why not try out the same experiment but on men? You might find that the percentage could also be 99%.
As for women rejecting men.. Put yourself in their place. If a girl (a stranger in this case) asked you out, would you not take in account their looks just like some women might do?
While there are certain flaws with your study (e.g the fact that you posted a picture of an attractive male would always attract a specific strata of people compared to when posted a normal picture. And that strata might have a higher population density on the website you are operating on, rather than being representative of the female population at large) , that is not to say that you are incorrect. When it comes to online dating the myth of a good personality is as important as the character of a person in a job interview. Nowhere days, most employers already have a fixed mindset of who they want to employ, in the same way that girls want a fixed manly caricature. The point of the interview ( or personality in this case) is just a deal maker/breaker. Good personality means you are in, bad means try again elsewhere. That being said you cant generalize there will always be outliers, if you live in a different society you might find that many people are sapiosexuals. At the same time, everyone in a way has a shallow nature to them it just depends on the bar they set to swim in the swimming pool of people, some can only tolerate the shallow end of good looking people, while others swim in the slightly deeper end of liking only thin people. At the end of the day everyone is in the same finite swimming pool, very few really swim in an ocean.
(edited 7 years ago)
In UK your either rly hot or rly ugly, like Asia.
Reply 10
Original post by 571122

I'm glad you were able to see the truth,

many men are still in the dark about this.

many men out there still believe the lies about personality/looks women feed them.

I've ran a few experiments too, and pretty much the same thing happened. I've known other males who have run experiments like this also and some have sunk into deep depression after finally seeing the truth, I believe one even became suicidal.
Reply 11
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Do you know every woman online to make the assessment of most of them being shallow, no you do not, but I digress, would a lot of guys do this with a 'hot' girl online, course they would.

men are so "thirsty" online that they will do this to any female with a pulse. not just the hot ones.

and yes, i've done experiments.
Original post by ANM775
men are so "thirsty" online that they will do this to any female with a pulse. not just the hot ones.

and yes, i've done experiments.

I'm fully aware of that. But, let's be honest here, why do they lust over people like Margot Robbie, and Kate Upton, because they're good looking, and that goes for everyone not just guys. And, I know how it goes, I'm on Tinder. :colonhash:
Women are super shallow and can express this freely online with no repercussions
That's what 69% of guys do as well....
It depends on the woman, of course.

Seen plenty of hot chicks with ugly blokes. Less so the other way around.

I'm not exactly sure what your study proved. Girls like attractive men?

SS
online dating is garbage
Reply 17
If you're physically attractive, then more girls are likely to fall for you. That's life.
Original post by 571122
while they have been forcefully claiming to me and everyone they talk to that they are 'definitely not like that' and that they 'care about a guy's personality first'.

If they truly thought that way, they wouldn't be on a dating website.
Reply 19
Original post by ANM775
I'm glad you were able to see the truth,

many men are still in the dark about this.

many men out there still believe the lies about personality/looks women feed them.

I've ran a few experiments too, and pretty much the same thing happened. I've known other males who have run experiments like this also and some have sunk into deep depression after finally seeing the truth, I believe one even became suicidal.

Tell me about it, I regularly visit my female cousin and man.. the behavior she displays towards men makes me incredibly depressed. I hear her say things to nice guys behind their backs like: "Oh my God, loser, shut up already" and such. She's dating an ahole now, by the way. It's sad..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending