The Student Room Group

Should I do Alevel maths with a B in GCSE maths??

I got a high B in gcse maths, I did work for it but I also took the entrance exam for A level maths and I got into A level maths, but should I pick it?? Or will I struggle too much, has anyone got a B at gcse then done maths at A levels and achieved like an A? Any feedback will be much appreciated :smile:

Along with maths (if I pick it) I'm taking history, sociology and as business studies.
Hey I'll offer some advice as I got a B in GCSE maths and then a B at alevel (Three UMS off an A ;_; )The first year won't be a whole different from GCSEs but it's a bit of a step up difficulty wise so even so you should revise enough that you're getting good grades... C1 and C2 were what pushed me so close to an A as I got 100 and 97 UMS whilst not doing too well in C3... I can't stress enough the importance of past papers... Going over them, learning the exam techniques and noticing patterns in papers... Alevel maths is a subject that you can essentially self teach with enough patience. I used examsolutions a lot because they're really good at explaining and have video tutorials for each topic and exam question. If you feel like you'lll be motivated to get whatever grade you want, and put the effort in to get it you'll definitely be more than capable of doing well on it :smile: Any other questions feel free to message me :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lukeydavis
Hey I'll offer some advice as I got a B in GCSE maths and then a B at alevel (Three UMS off an A ;_; )The first year won't be a whole different from GCSEs but it's a bit of a step up difficulty wise so even so you should revise enough that you're getting good grades... C1 and C2 were what pushed me so close to an A as I got 100 and 97 UMS whilst not doing too well in C3... I can't stress enough the importance of past papers... Going over them, learning the exam techniques and noticing patterns in papers... Alevel maths is a subject that you can essentially self teach with enough patience. I used examsolutions a lot because they're really good at explaining and have video tutorials for each topic and exam question. If you feel like you'lll be motivated to get whatever grade you want, and put the effort in to get it you'll definitely be more than capable of doing well on it :smile: Any other questions feel free to message me :smile:

I see thank you, did you work hard to get a B?
Reply 3
It's fine. GCSE math is a bunch of crap anyways. I liked AS math much more because it's less of a guess the answer exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by valdokarina
I got a high B in gcse maths, I did work for it but I also took the entrance exam for A level maths and I got into A level maths, but should I pick it?? Or will I struggle too much, has anyone got a B at gcse then done maths at A levels and achieved like an A? Any feedback will be much appreciated :smile:

Along with maths (if I pick it) I'm taking history, sociology and as business studies.

Pretty sure a B is the entry standard for normal maths. That aside, don't worry, you'll be fine as long as you revise and understand everything. I was a few marks into the A grade for GCSE and got A* in maths + B in Further Maths at A-Level. It's just practice, people make them out to be way harder than they really are.
Reply 5
Original post by Fadel
It's fine. GCSE math is a bunch of crap anyways. I liked AS math much more because it's less of a guess the answer exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sadly I can't choose to drop maths at AS
Reply 6
Original post by RDKGames
Pretty sure a B is the entry standard for normal maths. That aside, don't worry, you'll be fine as long as you revise and understand everything. I was a few marks into the A grade for GCSE and got A* in maths + B in Further Maths at A-Level. It's just practice, people make them out to be way harder than they really are.

I see, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest