The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance at going to oxbridge?

I got predicted A*A*A for a levels to do english literature and at cambridge, they require A*AA whereas oxford want AAA. I have the grades and i have just been elected deputy head girl, but i go to an unknown sixth form and not very rich. Do i have a chance of getting in? If i do what can i do to make myself stand out or raise my chances of my application being accepted?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lalaa64
I got predicted A*A*A for a levels to do english literature and at cambridge, they require A*AA whereas oxford want AAA. I have the grades and i have just been elected deputy head girl, but i go to an unknown sixth form and not very rich. Do i have a chance of getting in? If i do what can i do to make myself stand out or raise my chances of my application being accepted?

Lol unis don't really care if you're rich and yes you have a chance. Try visiting each of the uni and see which one you like. Also remember oxford care more about gcse grades than cambridge. Best of luck and hope you get in.
Reply 2
I'd give up the dream if I were you, to be honest. From what you've told us it would most likely be a waste of your time. Oxbridge isn't for everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Giotto
I'd give up the dream if I were you, to be honest. From what you've told us it would most likely be a waste of your time. Oxbridge isn't for everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

where do you (or did) do you go and what course did you do?
Reply 4
Original post by Raizelcadres
Lol unis don't really care if you're rich and yes you have a chance. Try visiting each of the uni and see which one you like. Also remember oxford care more about gcse grades than cambridge. Best of luck and hope you get in.

thank you so much xx i'll tell you if i apply and get in
Please ignore the above poster and don't let it dishearten you, you have every chance of getting into oxbridge.

What you need to do to make yourself stand out is have an amazing personal statement (including your achievements as deputy head girl) showing passion and capability in your subject. The grades should not be an issue as you are predicted higher than their offer.

The fact that you attend an unknown sixth form is unlikely to disadvantage you. If anything, with their trend towards contextual assessments it may even help you if you have performed well compared to your peers - they take into account the average achievements at your school as an indication of how intelligent you actually are (as oppose for instance to being at a school where everyone gets A*A*A* because it is drilled into you, although this of course is not always the case). The fact that you are not 'rich' is not relevant to your application.
Original post by lalaa64
thank you so much xx i'll tell you if i apply and get in

Make sure your personal statement is good. There are alumnis from oxbridge unis that check personal statements and give review them but for a fee.
Reply 7
Original post by legallyblonde72
Please ignore the above poster and don't let it dishearten you, you have every chance of getting into oxbridge.

What you need to do to make yourself stand out is have an amazing personal statement (including your achievements as deputy head girl) showing passion and capability in your subject. The grades should not be an issue as you are predicted higher than their offer.

The fact that you attend an unknown sixth form is unlikely to disadvantage you. If anything, with their trend towards contextual assessments it may even help you if you have performed well compared to your peers - they take into account the average achievements at your school as an indication of how intelligent you actually are (as oppose for instance to being at a school where everyone gets A*A*A* because it is drilled into you, although this of course is not always the case). The fact that you are not 'rich' is not relevant to your application.

Thank you so much, I'm just trying to figure out what i want to do with my life. I have always had a passion for literature and want to study it at university and since I got the grades my friends and parents were telling me to apply to oxbridge - but I don't have much knowledge on what is required that's all. And anyway, if i apply the worst that can happen is that I don't get accepted which is fine by me as well
Reply 8
Original post by Raizelcadres
Make sure your personal statement is good. There are alumnis from oxbridge unis that check personal statements and give review them but for a fee.

I will, thank you :smile:
Reply 9
Depends on following:
Cambridge place more of an emphasis on UMS scores for AS units
Oxford place more of an emphasis on GCSE A*'s

That isn't to say you won't be accepted at either if you don't quite have high UMS average / high no. of A*s at GCSE, but be realistic.

One thing I will definitely say is that scoring A* in Literature requires some degree of luck due to the very, very subjective and recently harsh nature of marking by examiners. I had to get my script remarked for it to go from a low B to A* and the only other person who got the A* in my school had to do the same, so don't take getting the A* for Cambridge for granted if you do apply because the marking is an absolute inconsistent farce.
Original post by Windies

They really don't, with the exception of Medicine. The main emphasis is on admissions tests and the interview.
Reply 11
Original post by Plagioclase
They really don't, with the exception of Medicine. The main emphasis is on admissions tests and the interview.

that does seem true for english at least, as it doesn't state on the websites any specific requirements for A*s in GCSE
Reply 12
Original post by Windies
Depends on following:
Cambridge place more of an emphasis on UMS scores for AS units

That isn't to say you won't be accepted at either if you don't quite have high UMS average / high no. of A*s at GCSE, but be realistic.

One thing I will definitely say is that scoring A* in Literature requires some degree of luck due to the very, very subjective and recently harsh nature of marking by examiners. I had to get my script remarked for it to go from a low B to A* and the only other person who got the A* in my school had to do the same, so don't take getting the A* for Cambridge for granted if you do apply because the marking is an absolute inconsistent farce.

Yeah i know it has become a lot more tougher, especially as majority a levels and as subjects now have a new specification it has been ridiculous. And a lot of the papers are getting harshly marked. Many of my friends in fact got Us
Original post by lalaa64
that does seem true for english at least, as it doesn't state on the websites any specific requirements for A*s in GCSE

No course at Oxford or Cambridge has a required number of A*s at GCSE, apart from the informal requirement for Medicine.
Definitely apply - from the sounds of it your chances are good, and you really don't have anything to lose by trying!

Also, to repeat what others have said, not being rich has no bearing on your application. Neither does being head girl, for that matter, and even your personal statement is a lot less important than you might think (i.e. a bad PS hinders an application, but a great PS doesn't do much to help an application). For the most part your success will be down to how well you do on the admissions test (ELAT) and at interview.
Original post by lalaa64
I will, thank you :smile:

Is it possible for you to come to the Open Day on September 16th? You can get advice about applying, talk to current students (we have English UGs doing tours at Brasenose and one of our students, Ella, is also on the Department's Open Day team).

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/visiting-and-outreach/open-days
https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-admissions/open-days

As it happens, three women students with very similar profiles to yourself currently hold the posts of JCR President, Boat Club President, and May Ball President at Brasenose - illustrating how accessible Oxford has become. Across the University, English Literature has one of the best records for attracting students from less well represented backgrounds.
Reply 16
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Is it possible for you to come to the Open Day on September 16th? You can get advice about applying, talk to current students (we have English UGs doing tours at Brasenose and one of our students, Ella, is also on the Department's Open Day team).

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/visiting-and-outreach/open-days
https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-admissions/open-days

As it happens, three women students with very similar profiles to yourself currently hold the posts of JCR President, Boat Club President, and May Ball President at Brasenose - illustrating how accessible Oxford has become. Across the University, English Literature has one of the best records for attracting students from less well represented backgrounds.

Wow, thank you so much for your reply. I am actually going to attend the Open Day this Friday and look forward to meeting the students and learning more about how I can apply to the collegiate. Where will I be able to find these students or your department?
Reply 17
Original post by TheMadScientist
Definitely apply - from the sounds of it your chances are good, and you really don't have anything to lose by trying!

Also, to repeat what others have said, not being rich has no bearing on your application. Neither does being head girl, for that matter, and even your personal statement is a lot less important than you might think (i.e. a bad PS hinders an application, but a great PS doesn't do much to help an application). For the most part your success will be down to how well you do on the admissions test (ELAT) and at interview.

Thank you so much for your advice, it really helps so much. Let's see if I get as far as the interviews and test :h: and I will apply because the worst I can get is a no which won't upset me either.
I went to Oxford in the summer for a summer school. It doesn't matter if your rich or not, Oxford sometimes prefers you to be from a not well known school because if you then do well it shows you did it. It wasn't something drilled into you. That's what I was told. There are so many bursaries as well. I know Oxford and Cambridge look at your gcse's grades when other uni's might not. But there is definitely not a set number of A*s you need to get in.
You should definitely apply, if your predicted A*A*A and Oxford asks for AAA you can do it. Anyway, it's still only 1 spot on your application. So it won't kill you applying. To raise your chance of being accepted, they want to know your passion for it. Why do you love your subject? What makes you want to study it, then proof of this. So did you read a book or an article that made you more interested. They want to see you'll be good at it, they want to see potential.
I hope this helps
Reply 19
Just to confirm - I thought this post was a joke, and I thought I was playing along with it. Just apply. You sound fine, your school's prestige doesn't matter, coming from a really prestigious one may even set the bar higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending