The Student Room Group

GCSEs: A Definitive Guide from Someone Who Got 11 A*s

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi @Joshiee. Could I have a copy of the list of Science topics where you keep track of progress please. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 21
Thank you OP for posting useful information to help other GSCE students.

I too have finished my GCSEs and have achieved 9.5 A* and 1 A (short course counts as half a grade, not a full grade), as well as an A in an AS level subject.

My revision strategy for science subjects:
1. Find the relevant specifications, print off a checklist and highlight the parts that you are unsure about.
2. Look up relevant parts on revision guide/text book, and make short concise notes (one that meets all the marks in the mark scheme)
3. After making all notes, revise them. I sometimes like using quizlet and sometimes flash cards.
4. Do a ton of past papers and see which areas you are still unsure about. Then repeat.

For the more subjective subjects such as English, where the marks can vary according to the marker, I'd recommend a different method. Start by creating a format, or a structure that will guarantee a high mark. For example, you need to know how much you need to write per paragraph, how many points to include, what quotes you may use etc. Then do practice papers in timed conditions, as you need to get use to the time pressure as soon as possible (many of my friends didn't perform as well due to spending too much time on certain sections). Make sure to give all your past papers to your English teacher to mark for feedback.

It is important in GCSE to not be stressed about exams too early. I started serious revision 1 and a half months before the first exam, and only did light revision the month before that. Don't do it about a year before, as you are likely to lose the motivation to revise and thus, will affect your grades.

Bare in mind that the language subjects are a bit harder, especially because you have to start a long time before the other subjects. This is because language GCSEs require a lot of memorisation of vocab, which is certainly not possible to achieve a week before an exam. The best way of revising for this imo, is to use flash cards or quizlet (language on one side, English on the others)

I wish the new year 11s the best of luck in their GCSEs :smile:
This is an excellent guide and well done on achieving those grades!! 👍👍
Hi could I have your AQA A revision guide for geography please would be extremely grateful thanks
Free?
Original post by samaad1
Hi could I have your AQA A revision guide for geography please would be extremely grateful thanks
Original post by Kryptonian
Free?

no he said he made one himself
LOOL why the hell did work so hard for gcse its soooooo easy, got same grade as you and didnt even pick up book once... pretty much played runescape alll through gcse's...then again i am an olympiad so would be funny if i actually had to work for something like gcse's...
Original post by MathsMPhys
LOOL why the hell did work so hard for gcse its soooooo easy, got same grade as you and didnt even pick up book once... pretty much played runescape alll through gcse's...then again i am an olympiad so would be funny if i actually had to work for something like gcse's...

what a horrible and arrogant thing to say. gcses aren't 'so easy' for everyone, and regardless of whether or not you are an Olympiad, your personality and attitude seems absolutely foul... studying is a personal thing, so, commenting rude things about people's learning and revision styles is a pretty low thing to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JTran38
Hi @Joshiee. Could I have a copy of the list of Science topics where you keep track of progress please. Thanks :biggrin:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1601016715. OP posted it before :wink:
Original post by Baaah

I too have finished my GCSEs and have achieved 9.5 A* and 1 A (short course counts as half a grade, not a full grade), as well as an A in an AS level subject.

1. Find the relevant specifications, print off a checklist and highlight the parts that you are unsure about.
2. Look up relevant parts on revision guide/text book, and make short concise notes (one that meets all the marks in the mark scheme)
3. After making all notes, revise them. I sometimes like using quizlet and sometimes flash cards.
4. Do a ton of past papers and see which areas you are still unsure about. Then repeat.

For the more subjective subjects such as English, where the marks can vary according to the marker, I'd recommend a different method. Start by creating a format, or a structure that will guarantee a high mark. For example, you need to know how much you need to write per paragraph, how many points to include, what quotes you may use etc. Then do practice papers in timed conditions, as you need to get use to the time pressure as soon as possible (many of my friends didn't perform as well due to spending too much time on certain sections). Make sure to give all your past papers to your English teacher to mark for feedback.

It is important in GCSE to not be stressed about exams too early. I started serious revision 1 and a half months before the first exam, and only did light revision the month before that. Don't do it about a year before, as you are likely to lose the motivation to revise and thus, will affect your grades.

Bare in mind that the language subjects are a bit harder, especially because you have to start a long time before the other subjects. This is because language GCSEs require a lot of memorisation of vocab, which is certainly not possible to achieve a week before an exam. The best way of revising for this imo, is to use flash cards or quizlet (language on one side, English on the others)

So do you think revising a month before will be more effective than revising about 8 months to the exams?
Reply 30
Original post by daniella.14
So do you think revising a month before will be more effective than revising about 8 months to the exams?

Not necessarily a month, but definitely less than, let's say 4 months. Effective revision within that period is definitely better than long term revision, as you are likely to not slack off. Many of my friends followed a good revision routine shortly before the exams (but not too short) and managed to get A*s in their subjects.

You are more likely to be in a concentration mode when you start to feel the pressure of exams incoming.

However, if you know you are capable of preparing beforehand, then go for it.

that link doesn't work because TSR has automatically shortened it wherever the op has posted it and you've copied the short version which doesn't link to the spreadsheet now. (I can't tell you how many times I've done that before lol)
I suggest you post where the op linked to it before on here for people to access it :smile:
Original post by ?Hannah
what a horrible and arrogant thing to say. gcses aren't 'so easy' for everyone, and regardless of whether or not you are an Olympiad, your personality and attitude seems absolutely foul... studying is a personal thing, so, commenting rude things about people's learning and revision styles is a pretty low thing to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbf he's entitled to his opinion. No need to bash him.
Thanks. This was helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
that link doesn't work because TSR has automatically shortened it wherever the op has posted it and you've copied the short version which doesn't link to the spreadsheet now. (I can't tell you how many times I've done that before lol)
I suggest you post where the op linked to it before on here for people to access it :smile:

whoops sorry :colondollar: glad you found it anyway!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rumaisa_
whoops sorry :colondollar: glad you found it

no worries :smile:
when I discovered the OP onky had 4 posts on TSR it was a lot easier to find lol
Thanks so much on the tips and congratulations on your brilliant score! I am doing exactly the same subjects excluding art and am predicted your grades, so hopefully i will be able to achieve them! Ill definitely be trying these. :smile:
:smile:
Reply 38
Sorry for the late replies to everyone! College got me

Original post by JTran38

Sorry for the super late reply. Sure: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VLAkhhED9soFHMg_5FFTSocrNHxM48k0KSBRFksin9g/edit?usp=sharing

Original post by Baaah

Excellent tips! Thanks for posting this - I am aware that short GCSEs are half a qualification but to avoid questions I tend to just say 11. Although 10.5 is technically correct, yes. :smile:

Original post by Kryptonian
This is an excellent guide and well done on achieving those grades!! 👍👍

Thank you!

Original post by samaad1

Sure. Mail me to tell me what topics you're doing (should be 3 for human 3 for physical), just to make sure it can actually be of use to you.

Original post by MathsMPhys

Claims to get 11 A*s yet doesn't even know the correct use of an apostrophe. Oh the irony. Get out, troll.

Original post by sweetstars
Thanks. This was helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a problem! Glad it helped.

Original post by Sherlyyyn
Thanks so much on the tips and congratulations on your brilliant score! I am doing exactly the same subjects excluding art and am predicted your grades, so hopefully i will be able to achieve them! Ill definitely be trying these. :smile:
:smile:

Thank you :smile: Hopefully you get those grades! Just work hard throughout and I'm sure you will.
Original post by nega166
That's 10.5 A*s, not 11. Just saying

what.so what

Quick Reply

Latest