The Student Room Group

How long did it take you to make friends at sixth form, (along with my other issue)..

I have recently started at a sixth form college, population four thousand, a huge number compared to my tiny senior school, and I am feeling squashed.

Someone who I consider my best friend, (though now I am very apprehensive, I am not so sure she wants to be my close friend anymore), is also going with me, but we are in different classes, so only really see each other when we meet up at breaks or lunch, involving one of us calling or texting to see where the other is.

I feel I have been doing this more than she has.

Am I being too clingy? I have no idea.

I messaged her on Facebook to ask how something was, (a lesson she had), at about 4, and its 11, she's been active and there is no response.

Okay, that does sound really clingy. I'm not usually like this I swear, but I don't want to be left on my own, I'm feeling so miserable.

She seems to already be making friends, and I am not very good at this. I think I may suffer from some form of people repellent. Am I ugly? Her and her new friends all look prettier than me. Not bitter, can't be helped.

Do I suffer from anxiety? Maybe, I have been told I am over anxious in the past.

But I have tried to talk to people in my lessons, they just already seem to be in friendship groups.

In your experience, how long does it take to make friends in sixth form, or am I just a weirdo? I am writing this very late at night, take note, so I probably sound more strange than usual.

Thanks X
Im staying at my same school. I haven't talk to the new people at my sixth form(don't have a lot of time).
Reply 2
Aww hun, no one really likes a clingy friend. Seriously start talking to as many people from your classes as you can (it's uncomfortable for everyone but I promise you'll make friends for sure) and play hard to get with your friend (don't text and ask where she is, but be nice with her when you're face to face), who clearly probably feels a little choked by you.

I think being alone is great though, get some food and go to the library and revise a little there, where you'll meet friends too. Don't leave it for later because, the first few weeks where no one has friends is the best opportunity to make friends.

Good luck!
I go to a sixth form college as well, in year 12 I didn't really bother making new friends because my friends and I stayed together
Original post by Wring
Aww hun, no one really likes a clingy friend. Seriously start talking to as many people from your classes as you can (it's uncomfortable for everyone but I promise you'll make friends for sure) and play hard to get with your friend (don't text and ask where she is, but be nice with her when you're face to face), who clearly probably feels a little choked by you.

I think being alone is great though, get some food and go to the library and revise a little there, where you'll meet friends too. Don't leave it for later because, the first few weeks where no one has friends is the best opportunity to make friends.

Good luck!

She sends quite mixed messages sometimes - she got annoyed when I didn't meet her in a free on the third day, but on the fourth, she was discussing plans to go out with other friends without me in front of my face. I felt betrayed, but now I understand more clearly that everyone is in the same situation, and that most of them also are pretty much alone, (so thank you so much for your advice).

But the thing that annoys me is I'm not sure if she still WANTS to be my friend AT ALL, or if it was even an equal friendship in the first place.
I probably sound like an *******.
Reply 5
Original post by Tortoise Speed
She sends quite mixed messages sometimes - she got annoyed when I didn't meet her in a free on the third day, but on the fourth, she was discussing plans to go out with other friends without me in front of my face. I felt betrayed, but now I understand more clearly that everyone is in the same situation, and that most of them also are pretty much alone, (so thank you so much for your advice).

But the thing that annoys me is I'm not sure if she still WANTS to be my friend AT ALL, or if it was even an equal friendship in the first place.
I probably sound like an *******.

Yeah tbh, I'd just put as much distance. Don't text or ask her anything, but act like nothing face to face. She's using you as a fallback if those other friends don't work out. Anyone who excludes you from things doesn't really deserve to be your friend.
I have recently started at a sixth form college, population four thousand, a huge number compared to my tiny senior school, and I am feeling squashed.

Someone who I consider my best friend, (though now I am very apprehensive, I am not so sure she wants to be my close friend anymore), is also going with me, but we are in different classes, so only really see each other when we meet up at breaks or lunch, involving one of us calling or texting to see where the other is.

I messaged her on Facebook to ask how something was, (a lesson she had), at about 4, and its 11, she's been active and there is no response.

Okay, that does sound really clingy. I'm not usually like this I swear, but I don't want to be left on my own, I'm feeling so miserable.

She seems to already be making friends, and I am not very good at this. I think I may suffer from some form of people repellent. Am I ugly? Her and her new friends all look prettier than me. Not bitter, can't be helped.

Do I suffer from anxiety? Maybe, I have been told I am over anxious in the past.

But I have tried to talk to people in my lessons, they just already seem to be in friendship groups.

In your experience, how long does it take to make friends in sixth form, or am I just a weirdo? I am writing this very late at night, take note, so I probably sound more strange than usual.

Thanks X

Hey if i went to your college I would be your friend, I can definitely relate to you about every thing. May sound weird but yah.

Thanks X

Hey I recently started at a new sixth form where I knew no one, so it was quite difficult for me. All of the girls were new which was nice because we were all there to make new friends and didn't know our new school well, but some girls knew each other from their old school. Luckily, I made friends within the first few weeks, but I still haven't talked to a lot of the girls, especially the ones who already know each other.
I am quite anxious so I find it hard to make friends, but I did so I'm sure you can too! You just need a bit of confidence. If your friend doesn't seem interested in you, try searching for people who don't seem to be in a friendship group or who want to make friends with new people, and talk to them.
Don't feel pressured that you need to make friends right away; when you find the right people you will make friends very quickly! :smile:
I made a new friend within the first few hours of the first day :colone: 6 years down the line, we went to the same university and still meet up occasionally
Thank you, things have gotten a lot better now, so everyone's imput has been great 😄
Original post by farencia.h
Hey if i went to your college I would be your friend, I can definitely relate to you about every thing. May sound weird but yah.

It's not weird lol, and thank you likewise 😸

Quick Reply

Latest