The Student Room Group

Woodhouse applicants 2022!

It’s that time of year again! The thread for 2021/22 applicants was successful so I thought I’d make my own for 2022/23 first year applicants! The applications opened on October 16th 2021 for Woodhouse. Hopefully potential applicants will see this thread and document our journey from applying to being accepted! Reply to this questions:

1) What subjects do you want to study at A levels?

2) Is Woodhouse your first option, if not what other sixth forms are you considering?

3) How are your current GCSEs going e.g have you done mocks and got results or have your predicted grades?

Feel free to answer with any other questions and hopefully current woodhouse students will see this and help if we have any questions! This is for Woodhouse college based in Finchley!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Moved to Secondary school, sixth form and FE college
Reply 2
Original post by fashp23
It’s that time of year again! The thread for 2021/22 applicants was successful so I thought I’d make my own for 2022/23 first year applicants! The applications opened on October 16th 2021 for Woodhouse. Hopefully potential applicants will see this thread and document our journey from applying to being accepted! Reply to this questions:

2) Is Woodhouse your first option, if not what other sixth forms are you considering?

3) How are your current GCSEs going e.g have you done mocks and got results or have your predicted grades?

Feel free to answer with any other questions and hopefully current woodhouse students will see this and help if we have any questions! This is for Woodhouse college based in

I have some questions.
1) do you recommend woodhouse
2) is there good teaching
3) when people say independence does that mean lots of home learning and revision
4) people say it’s free but isn’t it boring or annoying having free periods with nothing to do or having to travel to school the same day Because you had a lesson later
5) Are the students diverse like roughly what percentage of each race
6) how many people in each year group
7) are a lot of people typical rich posh white drinking clubbers
8) how much interactions do you get to have with friends if you have different timetables and periods
9)would you chose it over somewhere like Lae
Sorry for all the questions
Reply 3
Original post by Lkjswhxs
I have some questions.
3) when people say independence does that mean lots of home learning and revision
4) people say it’s free but isn’t it boring or annoying having free periods with nothing to do or having to travel to school the same day Because you had a lesson later
8) how much interactions do you get to have with friends if you have different timetables and periods
Sorry for all the questions

i’m currently a student a woodhouse so i shall answer ur questions lol
it’s pretty decent tbh. i like the freedoms and absence of dress code. don’t go in with the expectation that it’s the best school in the world because it’s definitely got its flaws. but generally it’s a nice place.
the teaching usually varies from subject to subject/teacher to teacher. honestly some teachers blitz through topics as if you already know everything which can be annoying. however there are some really good teachers here
there definitely is an emphasis on home learning and revision but it’s up to you if you wanna take the advice. most teachers don’t usually chase after students for homework because it’s our responsibility and stuff but it’s definitely important
it’s not boring at all! time flies very quickly during frees and you can leave the school anytime during free periods of you want. there also sports that the run during some frees and lunch
majority white, second highest south/east asian and smallest group black from what i can see
currently around 500 people in my yr13 year group. quite alot
perhaps not gonna lie but some of them are calm if you actually interact with them lol. however there are a variety of different types of people (lots of stereotypically nerdy people and alternative people lmaoo). i know lots of people from the same average background as me, there are many people to get along with.
i see friends pretty much always during frees there’s also a 20 min break for the whole school few hours before lunch. the only differences we have is usually what time we finish school (sometimes finish at lunch, sometimes 15:15, sometimes 16:20)
i would only choose lae if i lived close to lae and preferred the vibe, every place has their pros and cons
if u have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
I applied to start woodhouse in 2022 sept, It’s not my personal first choice but I would still like to get into the school.
I applied to study Chem maths Politics and biology, however I am not too keen on biology and will see how it goes as I still want to keep the door open to study medicine.
I have done my mocks and gotten results back for some of them with 2 nines 2 eights and 2 sevens so far.
Tbh I’m really anxious to get responses from sixth forms and hopefully I get accepted into all of them ( I applied to 12 sixth forms so far)
Original post by c_iwuagwu
I applied to start woodhouse in 2022 sept, It’s not my personal first choice but I would still like to get into the school.
I applied to study Chem maths Politics and biology, however I am not too keen on biology and will see how it goes as I still want to keep the door open to study medicine.
I have done my mocks and gotten results back for some of them with 2 nines 2 eights and 2 sevens so far.
Tbh I’m really anxious to get responses from sixth forms and hopefully I get accepted into all of them ( I applied to 12 sixth forms so far)

That’s a lot of sixth formss
Original post by Paula35565665
That’s a lot of sixth formss

Yh ik😭😭 it’s because the school I go to does not have a sixth form so I have no guaranteed space at a sixth form for next year, so I applied to many
Hi there ! I have quite a few questions ahaha 1) I was wondering what subjects you take and if your recommend them ? Because I’m thinking of taking eng Lang, french and classics but I haven’t heard much about it :frown:2) was it easy to make friends or was it a bit hard ( did people already come in groups of friends )3) do they focus a lot on your personal statement in the application 4) what’s the general vibe there ? Like the people 5) how far do people live ,like do they accept people that come from outside North London but still in London 6) do you honestly like it ?
1) I plan on taking English language, classics and french a level

2) yes it’s my top choice ahaha mainly because they do all my subjects but I’m also thinking about Camden school for girls , LaSWAP and Bullers Wood

3) I haven’t got my predicted grades but I’ve gotten my mock results ( they weren’t too bad but I deffo need improvement )
I have received my predicted grades and everything was good except my English. My English teacher lied to me and gave me an incorrect grade.
Reply 10
My school doesn’t give predicted grades, and we can only use mock grades, I am happy with all my mock grades except English literature, I usually work towards grade 8 or 9 but in this mock I got a 6!!!!! I am planning to study English lit at A levels and 6 is the minimum required grade, do you know if somebody got in with a 6? My other mock grades are 7s, 8s and 9s.
Original post by NoniTT
My school doesn’t give predicted grades, and we can only use mock grades, I am happy with all my mock grades except English literature, I usually work towards grade 8 or 9 but in this mock I got a 6!!!!! I am planning to study English lit at A levels and 6 is the minimum required grade, do you know if somebody got in with a 6? My other mock grades are 7s, 8s and 9s.

I'm not sure because I'm also not proud of my English result too
Original post by fashp23

Feel free to answer with any other questions and hopefully current woodhouse students will see this and help if we have any questions! This is for Woodhouse college based in Finchley!

alr ignore my username pls idk when i made it but anyways

1) planning on studying chemistry, biology and maths
2) woodhouse is my first option, if I don't get in I'm gonna apply again on results day and pray
3) my current GCSE's are going decently, my mock results were not the best but tbf coronavirus did halt our whole years learning and made it 10x harder than it actually needed to be

either way I am really excited ahahha

ah I want to do medicine too, I wld still keep biology because its definitely different compared to GCSE, I don't do it yet, however, I talked to a bunch of biology students and they all said that GCSE bio is mostly just learning facts and A-level is more theoretical and about understanding concepts etc.. definitely more interesting than GCSE lmaoo
Original post by NoniTT

my school is kinda doing something similar, they told us that instead of giving us predicted grades, we are going to get 'minimum target grades' to avoid confusion with TAGS, icl it's kinda strange but as long as it doesn't highlight my 4's and 5's which were more than half of my grades i will be happy
Reply 15

You applied to 12! That is way over the top. With your grades you will almost certainly get into woodhouse and pretty much every other place you've applied to. You will want to start whittling it down to 3 or 4 in my opinion. As long as they have a reasonable reputation/vibe etc, I would go with the ones that are nearest, at there is really is no point spending ages travelling for no tangible gain.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by lalexm
You applied to 12! That is way over the top. With your grades you will almost certainly get into woodhouse and pretty much every other place you've applied to. You will want to start whittling it down to 3 or 4 in my opinion. As long as they have a reasonable reputation/vibe etc, I would go with the ones that are nearest, at there is really is no point spending ages travelling for no tangible gain.

Yh I problem applied to too many😂😂😂, but my school doesn’t have a sixth form so I wanted to a have a guaranteed spot at a school next year.
I got four 9s, three 8s , three 7s and a 4 in my mock exams, so hopefully they’ll be enough to get me into sixth forms.
I really want to get to LAET, however it’s really oversubscribed and I don’t know if i’ll get in
Original post by uwuqueen
ah I want to do medicine too, I wld still keep biology because its definitely different compared to GCSE, I don't do it yet, however, I talked to a bunch of biology students and they all said that GCSE bio is mostly just learning facts and A-level is more theoretical and about understanding concepts etc.. definitely more interesting than GCSE lmaoo

I’ll see how biology goes😭😭😭 I quite like it more now, except from the ecology part in the gcse course it’s really boring for me😭
Original post by fashp23

I’m applying to Woodhouse College too!!

1) I applied for Biology, Chemistry and Sociology. I’m considering applying for English Literature as well but I’m yet to decide.

2) Woodhouse is my first option, however, I live far so I doubt I’ll get in. I also applied to Dr Challoners, St Dominic’s and my own school. I might also apply to UCL Academy.

3) My predicted grades are currently 2 9’s, 4 8’s and 7 7’s. My mocks went well and I achieved 8/9’s in everything so I think my predicted grades will go up.
Original post by elvinaa
i’m currently a student a woodhouse so i shall answer ur questions lol
it’s pretty decent tbh. i like the freedoms and absence of dress code. don’t go in with the expectation that it’s the best school in the world because it’s definitely got its flaws. but generally it’s a nice place.
the teaching usually varies from subject to subject/teacher to teacher. honestly some teachers blitz through topics as if you already know everything which can be annoying. however there are some really good teachers here
there definitely is an emphasis on home learning and revision but it’s up to you if you wanna take the advice. most teachers don’t usually chase after students for homework because it’s our responsibility and stuff but it’s definitely important
it’s not boring at all! time flies very quickly during frees and you can leave the school anytime during free periods of you want. there also sports that the run during some frees and lunch
majority white, second highest south/east asian and smallest group black from what i can see
currently around 500 people in my yr13 year group. quite alot
perhaps not gonna lie but some of them are calm if you actually interact with them lol. however there are a variety of different types of people (lots of stereotypically nerdy people and alternative people lmaoo). i know lots of people from the same average background as me, there are many people to get along with.
i see friends pretty much always during frees there’s also a 20 min break for the whole school few hours before lunch. the only differences we have is usually what time we finish school (sometimes finish at lunch, sometimes 15:15, sometimes 16:20)
i would only choose lae if i lived close to lae and preferred the vibe, every place has their pros and cons
if u have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:

hey i applied and i have a couple questions.

1) i live far (1 hour and a half by public transport), is it likely id get in?
2) was it hard to make friends?
3) are u allowed to leave at lunch to get food or not?
4) how are the science departments at teaching?
5) how many frees do u have a week?
6) what kind of extracurricular clubs are there?
7) would you recommend the school for someone applying for neuroscience or medicine?
8) how long are the school days? how long are the break and lunch times?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending