The Student Room Group

I'm proud of myself for the first time in my life.

I'm not 100% sure this is in the right place, but it is to do with university so perhaps it is. I guess we'll see.

So...I was diagnosed with general anxiety when I was twelve. I'd been having strange episodes of numbness in my legs, the feeling that everything around me was moving in slow motion and it'd feel like I'd just woken up from a nap, not knowing what was going on around me. This would happen once per day. It was absolutely terrifying. At first we suspected it was to do with the fact that I was underweight, but after spending a week in hospital in 2009 and having numerous tests/scans done, any sort of physical problem was ruled out. The doctors did, however, determine that based on other observations and on things I had told them I appeared to have anxiety, and believe me when I say that this anxiety made my first year of high school a living hell. If you've struggled with depersonalisation/derealisation yourself this sentence should make sense to you:
I literally felt like I didn't exist for at least six months. It was the worst time of my life.
Fast forward a few years and things were looking up. My panic attacks lessened. As of right now I haven't had the weird leg/head thing for at least four years. I was happier, I was slowly getting healthier, but there was still an issue at hand: I couldn't eat a lot without feeling sick. If ever we were eating in a restaurant I would feel like I was going to throw up after a few mouthfuls. I never did vomit, but it was clear that this also needed to be addressed.
Long story short, I went to cognitive behaviour therapy last year, and after one session and several meals out over the summer I realised I was 'cured'. No idea what suddenly made me feel comfortable with eating in public, but I was too happy to question it.
You're probably thinking, 'good for you, but why are you telling us this?'
Let me tell you.
On Sunday I'm moving to uni. It's only twenty minutes away from home, but I loved how the place felt on the numerous open days I went to. I've been speaking to my roommates on Facebook and we're so excited to be meeting each other. I'm even making a big cake for us all to enjoy on our first night. I plan on going to a few different freshers events. I'm looking forward to (trying) to cook meals from scratch.
Six years ago, if you'd have asked me if I was looking forward to the future I'd have said 'no'. I felt like an empty shell. If the future was going to be anything like the present it was bound to be horrible. I cried a lot. I was worried that I was going to have a panic attack if I wasn't around my parents and that I wouldn't be able to be comforted. University seemed out of the question.
Being able to move away from home and actually anticipate speaking to all kinds of new people and enjoying myself in new ways is such a big thing for me.
I feel like I've been in a cocoon for so long, but I'm a butterfly now, and nothing will stop me from spreading my wings.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Palonirya
I'm not 100% sure this is in the right place, but it is to do with university so perhaps it is. I guess we'll see.

So...I was diagnosed with general anxiety when I was twelve. I'd been having strange episodes of numbness in my legs, the feeling that everything around me was moving in slow motion and it'd feel like I'd just woken up from a nap, not knowing what was going on around me. This would happen once per day. It was absolutely terrifying. At first we suspected it was to do with the fact that I was underweight, but after spending a week in hospital in 2009 and having numerous tests/scans done, any sort of physical problem was ruled out. The doctors did, however, determine that based on other observations and on things I had told them I appeared to have anxiety, and believe me when I say that this anxiety made my first year of high school a living hell. If you've struggled with depersonalisation/derealisation yourself this sentence should make sense to you:
I literally felt like I didn't exist for at least six months. It was the worst time of my life.
Fast forward a few years and things were looking up. My panic attacks lessened. As of right now I haven't had the weird leg/head thing for at least four years. I was happier, I was slowly getting healthier, but there was still an issue at hand: I couldn't eat a lot without feeling sick. If ever we were eating in a restaurant I would feel like I was going to throw up after a few mouthfuls. I never did vomit, but it was clear that this also needed to be addressed.
Long story short, I went to cognitive behaviour therapy last year, and after one session and several meals out over the summer I realised I was 'cured'. No idea what suddenly made me feel comfortable with eating in public, but I was too happy to question it.
You're probably thinking, 'good for you, but why are you telling us this?'
Let me tell you.
On Sunday I'm moving to uni. It's only twenty minutes away from home, but I loved how the place felt on the numerous open days I went to. I've been speaking to my roommates on Facebook and we're so excited to be meeting each other. I'm even making a big cake for us all to enjoy on our first night. I plan on going to a few different freshers events. I'm looking forward to (trying) to cook meals from scratch.
Six years ago, if you'd have asked me if I was looking forward to the future I'd have said 'no'. I felt like an empty shell. If the future was going to be anything like the present it was bound to be horrible. I cried a lot. I was worried that I was going to have a panic attack if I wasn't around my parents and that I wouldn't be able to be comforted. University seemed out of the question.
Being able to move away from home and actually anticipate speaking to all kinds of new people and enjoying myself in new ways is such a big thing for me.
I feel like I've been in a cocoon for so long, but I'm a butterfly now, and nothing will stop me from spreading my wings.

Hello there :smile:,

That is extremely fantastic and even though I don't know you, I am extremely proud of you.
It sounds like you have worked hard and gone through the wars and come out stronger on the other side to get where you are today.
It's really impressive and I hope you keep moving onwards and upwards for your time at university - you'll have a fantastic time, you really well.

If you have ever any questions regarding university please feel free to message me.
I run a Youtube channel and a WordPress blog for the past three years.

Best of luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending