The Student Room Group

Who's got a GCSE remarked?

Please anyone that got a GCSE paper remarked this year please tell me how you done I've sent mine off for a remark and heard the exam board has made it more hard to pass so I was wondering if people are still getting a higher mark
Basically I had my GCSE English Language remarked as I was predicted an A*, been tracking an A* for 2 years and got an A so you can tell why I was annoyed. I was 3 marks off an A* so I guessed my chances were okay. Got my results today, it went up by 19 marks, got 93%. Very happy, but this makes me think - what if loads of people are getting the wrong mark because the examiners are getting it so far off. 19 marks is a huge difference.
2 people in our school sent their statistics off to be remarked. Only one has come back so far but it went up by 3 marks.
tbh the remark procedure hasn't changed greatly, it has changed and it is slightly harder to go up, but you're more likely to go up multiple marks than single marks. I can go into more detail as to why if you like.
Yours going up is more about the subject than the changes, for example in English or History, the mark scheme is much more open to interpretation which is where marks may change however in maths, there is often much more closed answers (eg. if the answer is 17 then anything which is not 17 loses that mark) so they are less likely to go up.
Hope this is helpful :smile:
Yeah i know that obviously english is subject to the interpretation of each examiner, i was just talking about English as in language and literature. It sort of feels like you only get a good mark if the examiner likes our style of writing, and you never know with examiners.
I got my English Literature re-mark yesterday from AQA and it increased by 11 marks, which changed my overall grade to an A*! Deep down, I knew that I was worthy of achieving that grade, so I was plunged into a deep pool of self-doubt upon finding out my result last month.
I'm still waiting for my English Language (CIE - 1 mark from A*) and Sociology (WJEC - around 7 marks from A*, but I truly don't think that my paper was marked properly, which also applies to my friend who has applied for a re-mark) results, which I'm hoping will turn up within the next week or so.
Although I'm so relieved that I've got an A* in English Literature - particularly as I'm studying it at A-Level and want to become an English teacher - I'm so angry that many students like myself are being screwed over by a shambles of the exam system. No wonder that I'm already worrying about my A-Level results because this experience has taught me that examiners are definitely not to be trusted!
(edited 7 years ago)
Sent 2 off to be remarked..

Edexcel iGCSE English Lit Paper 2...got an A and after remark it stayed to an A. Was only 3 marks off...worth a shot.
Edexcel GCSE Mandarin (Chinese) should turn from a B to an A.
I sent my English literature (AQA) off to be remarked and got it back a week ago, It went up by 4 marks which was more than enough to boost me up to the A*. I knew at the time that the second paper didn't go as well as I would have liked, but when I saw that I got a B in it, I knew that I hadn't done that much worse than I usually do. Still waiting for my French to come back 🙏🏻
My friend was 2 or 3 marks from the A* boundary in his Food Technology exam, however after sending it for remark he came out with an A* and he was more than 10 marks into the boundary, which is absolutely great, but it suggests that some exam boards may be kind in the way they mark or they may have been quite careless when they mark papers.
Does anyone know how long they take to get back to you?
Original post by Reecebateman
Does anyone know how long they take to get back to you?

Sometimes it will take around a week
Original post by Reecebateman
Please anyone that got a GCSE paper remarked this year please tell me how you done I've sent mine off for a remark and heard the exam board has made it more hard to pass so I was wondering if people are still getting a higher mark

I was informed by my history teacher that my grade was 1 ums mark off the next grade, so the school sent it off me and I went up from a C to a B and gained 9 ums marks, from a AQA history spec B paper.
Got mine back today and stayed the same grade but went down a mark I don't get how I thought that was one of my strongest exams 😔

Quick Reply

Latest