The Student Room Group

Steering wheel loose and wobbly??

Out of no where, my steering wheel has become very loose and wobbly. As in I can wobble it slightly back and forth, and it's turning a lot more easily. It's like it when the engines off, and also when driving. Anyone have an idea what this is?
Do you mean that you can push the wheel forward? That'd be very odd, never heard of this sort of failure and I used to be very much into cars.

Is there a leeway/unproductive movement when you're turning it?
Reply 2
You've probably already made sure, but is it locked in place with the adjustment lever?
Reply 3
Original post by IWMTom
You've probably already made sure, but is it locked in place with the adjustment lever?

Original post by PTMalewski
Do you mean that you can push the wheel forward? That'd be very odd, never heard of this sort of failure and I used to be very much into cars.

Is there a leeway/unproductive movement when you're turning it?

I've found out what it is I think. I have a Micra and apparently they were recalled three years ago because they received reports that the nut that holds the steering wheel on becomes loose overtime. So I phoned my local Nissan garage and they did a check on my plate, and apparently my car had already been recalled and sorted in 2013, so they weren't willing to pay for the repair. But if it's the same problem, then surely after just 3 years the fact that it's happened against is a fault on their behalf?

I've no idea whether it's safe to drive or not in the mean time :unsure: It feels quite dodgy.
Reply 4
Original post by Twinpeaks
I've found out what it is I think. I have a Micra and apparently they were recalled three years ago because they received reports that the nut that holds the steering wheel on becomes loose overtime. So I phoned my local Nissan garage and they did a check on my plate, and apparently my car had already been recalled and sorted in 2013, so they weren't willing to pay for the repair. But if it's the same problem, then surely after just 3 years the fact that it's happened against is a fault on their behalf?

I've no idea whether it's safe to drive or not in the mean time :unsure: It feels quite dodgy.

It's only a 15 minute job so I don't see why they won't sort it - stand your ground and try again with the same dealer, failing that try the next local one, failing that take it to a decent independent garage who shouldn't charge you all that much; after all, it's just a loose nut.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
It's only a 15 minute job so I don't see why they won't sort it - stand your ground and try again with the same dealer, failing that try the next local one, failing that take it to a decent independent garage who shouldn't charge you all that much; after all, it's just a loose nut.

I know, I think I'm just tempted to go to an independent garage. The woman from the Nissan Garage insisted I'd have to have a diagnostic test first, which cost £90!!
Reply 6
I know, I think I'm just tempted to go to an independent garage. The woman from the Nissan Garage insisted I'd have to have a diagnostic test first, which cost £90!!

Sounds like complete codswallop to me; a diag check is for electrical issues, not mechanical. Main dealers are the true scrublords.
Reply 7
Never ever use a main dealer unless you are rich or paranoid its more than double the cost most cases. And they will charge an hours labour just to plug it into the computer.

Find a Polish garage, Citroen quoted £230 to change a clutch cable, the polish guys did it for £80, local mechanic quoted £185. I had them change my clutch as well and saved a packet.

I dont get why british garages are so expensive, France was dirt cheap too when I broke down there, possibly the labour is well overvalued here.
(edited 7 years ago)

I've found out what it is I think. I have a Micra and apparently they were recalled three years ago because they received reports that the nut that holds the steering wheel on becomes loose overtime

It doesn't explain why the steering wheel is turning more easily. If there was a problem with a nut that hold the steering wheel on a column, this should change nothing in feeling, eventualy only steering wheel would fall off when held.

My guess is that you have a problem with the nut (15 minutes of work tops), which is responsible for this wobbly and loose feeling, but If indeed the steering wheel is turning more easily too, then it's possible that a pivot that holds one of front suspension arms had enough from some time, suspension geometry is not stable and suspension arm moved slightly to a position in which given resistance is smaller.

Original post by r4dly

I dont get why british garages are so expensive, France was dirt cheap too when I broke down there, possibly the labour is well overvalued here.

Wages. Where I live (western Poland), a capital engine renovation costs 240 pounds. 200 kilometers more to the east and they do the same job for 80 pounds. I guess that in Ukraine they would do this for 40. Of course, prizes in the UK must be higher because costs of living are higher too.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending