The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open university- Distance learning

Hello
I was wondering if anyone has done distance learning for a degree and how they have found this
Did you find it hard because of doing it online without one to one support?
Because I am unsure whether this is a good option to go into or a full time course
Thanks
Have you looked at what the uni provides in terms of support? Maybe contact them and ask to be put in touch with current or former students.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by alleycat393
Have you looked at what the uni provides in terms of support? Maybe contact them and ask to be put in touch with current or former students.

Thanks for the response

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did an OU degree and am just about to start a Master's with them as well. I think distance learning is a particularly good option if you want to study alongside other commitments (e.g. work, caring, family etc) or if there are obstacles which might prevent you from studying face-to-face (e.g. financial issues, disability etc). You do have the support of a tutor for each module, so academically speaking there's someone you can ask questions of and get help from. However, you get less of the social side of things since you're studying alone and only connecting with your fellow students online or via the occasional face-to-face tutorial.

What is it about distance learning that feels like a particularly good for for you?
Original post by Persipan
I did an OU degree and am just about to start a Master's with them as well. I think distance learning is a particularly good option if you want to study alongside other commitments (e.g. work, caring, family etc) or if there are obstacles which might prevent you from studying face-to-face (e.g. financial issues, disability etc). You do have the support of a tutor for each module, so academically speaking there's someone you can ask questions of and get help from. However, you get less of the social side of things since you're studying alone and only connecting with your fellow students online or via the occasional face-to-face tutorial.

What is it about distance learning that feels like a particularly good for for you?

Thank you so much for sharing this - It's Just the travelling back and forth to university because I don't want to live near there so I thought studying at home might be better - Do you get an actual degree at the end of it ? Which employers would consider to be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ilovecupcakes123
Thank you so much for sharing this - It's Just the travelling back and forth to university because I don't want to live near there so I thought studying at home might be better - Do you get an actual degree at the end of it ? Which employers would consider to be

Yes, you get an actual degree at the end, and recolours generally look quite favourably on OU degree because they show a degree of commitment and set-reliance. There are a few subjects where it's harder to get practical experience via distance learning (e.g. lab-based sciences), though.
Original post by Persipan
Yes, you get an actual degree at the end, and recolours generally look quite favourably on OU degree because they show a degree of commitment and set-reliance. There are a few subjects where it's harder to get practical experience via distance learning (e.g. lab-based sciences), though.

Ok thank you so much for the help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alleycat393

Thanks for the response - I have contacted a university to ask a few questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest