The Student Room Group

When driving, how do you hold the steering wheel?

To put it simply, I'm just curious as to how many stick to 9 and 3 or 10 and 2, either whilst learning to drive or once having passed their test. Sometimes these taught positions just aren't comfortable, and wondered what everyone progressed too over time :tongue:

Personally, I switch between a 10 and 2 and a 11 and nothing if I'm on the motorway for ages :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

either both hands at 6 or right hand at 1 and the other at 7.
Reply 2
Generally about 3 and 9, but it epends whether I need to read my messages/check the map /reprogramme the satnav/answer calls etc. If so it's nearer to 4 nothing.
Reply 3
7 and 5 :lol:
right hand at 1
Reply 5
0 and 6 is clearly superior for handling...lol

8 and 4 respectively.
if i am texting then usually i steer with my knees

Spoiler

Original post by Orange s0da
right hand at 1

Same, with left hand free to do whatever.
Original post by the bear
if i am texting then usually i steer with my knees

Spoiler

Clearly texting is a very stupid thing to do whilst driving, but we all do silly things when we're drunk.
Reply 9
Ten and two. I even do the policeman's shuffle sometimes (picking up habits from other people, it's not a conscious effort).
Im still learning so 10 and 2, but when driving my dads car its 11 and 3
3 and 9, or 3 and nothing.

How many people still do the push and pull technique? :tongue:
9 and 3 because it feels most natural to me!
I have more control of the car that way and can make quick and easy steering inputs!
Plus it's where racing drivers hold their hands too hehe! :biggrin:

But yeah I learnt at 10 & 2 and found it hard to keep hold of the wheel during corners where I didn't need to shuffle the wheel!

9 & 3 is a lot easier and technically safer as you don't have to take your hands off the wheel to turn! (Just be wary of the airbag!)
I hold it like I'm holding a girl's head down
Reply 14
Either 8 and 4
OR
Right hand on 11 and left hand on gear/under leg if it needs to be warmed lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
all these people admitting they are not in full control of the car ...

Then again that;s the difference between a steering wheel operative and a driver ...
I hold it at 10 and 2, like I did in my driving lessons
next no doubt you'll be claiming that push- pull is 'that shuffling *******s' ... thus demonstrating that you have no actual insight into the psychomotor skills or the need to remain in control of a vehicle ..
Oddly I tend to do 8-2
Following and established evidence base is not the fallacy of 'appeal to authority' ... and the funny thing is the evidence base here spans multiple disciplines.

Getting people who are unconsciously incompetent to event realise that they are incompetenent is very hard especially when they believe they are competent (dunning - kruger etc) reinforced by the possession of a basic certifcate of competence ...

Your failed point with regard to people with disabilities just further demonstrates your ignorance ofthe processes that someone with a significant disability goes through to get a provisional / reactivate their full licence ... ( assessment numerous Doctors , an further assessment by a OT ( and possibly orthotist) followed by an assessment with an ADI with additional training in conducting driving assessments for peopel with disabilities)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending