The Student Room Group

Can I carry a knife with me on a train?

Scroll to see replies

The law states that it's "illegal to carry a knife in public without good reason". If you're transporting it to a campsite with the intention of using it for campsite then I would imagine that probably would be legal. However, carrying it for "self-defence" (in inverted commas because you are much more likely to get seriously injured if you carry a knife, the idea that it's actually self-defence is a complete lie) is not a valid reason and it is absolutely illegal with possible prison sentences.
Original post by 0to100
Or he can just say he's an avid Lord of the Rings fan...and getting his Legolas gear ready. That's what I'd do.

Then you'd be convicted then. It wouldnt meet the requirements of reasonable excuse. On that basis you could say you were some sort of film star and that justified you having any weapon .
Original post by UWS
Try a gun. If the police arrest you, say "it was a social experiment bro".

You can carry a gun legally as long as it's secure and you have the appropiate firearms license :biggrin:

Did you mean a handgun? Because yeah, that would be stupid
Original post by 999tigger
Then you'd be convicted then. It wouldnt meet the requirements of reasonable excuse. On that basis you could say you were some sort of film star and that justified you having any weapon .

Yea it was a joke and all
Tbf the explanation angry redhead gace about the situation at the beginning was good.
Original post by 999tigger
Tbf the explanation angry redhead gace about the situation at the beginning was good.

When you have the police in your family you have to know this **** lol
Pontless re explaining things and you were first plus answered the OP.
Original post by Plagioclase
The law states that it's "illegal to carry a knife in public without good reason". If you're transporting it to a campsite with the intention of using it for campsite then I would imagine that probably would be legal. However, carrying it for "self-defence" (in inverted commas because you are much more likely to get seriously injured if you carry a knife, the idea that it's actually self-defence is a complete lie) is not a valid reason and it is absolutely illegal with possible prison sentences.

I won't be going to a campsite though, I will be wild camping in Scotland.
if you have a criminal record it would not matter where said knife was positioned within luggage etc and again the size of 3 inches or less would not matter , you would get nicked . but I find the question really vague mate , like what kind of knife ? where and why your travelling with such an article ?
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Good. :smile:

Ty for the follow btw :smile: :biggrin:
Thank you too. :smile:
Thank you too. :smile:

Np :biggrin:

I always follow back :smile:
Reply 32
Why?

Just in case he needs a shave in a hurry
Original post by 0to100
you were supposed to say
"lol"

and why not, it's dangerous in this world.

Lol if someone did attack you , how would u get the knife out of ur bag.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Might I add, I will be doing some 'elite' camping.

wtf
Original post by Foo.mp3
You can, but possession of fixed blade/lock knives is pretty much illegal (if not particularly enforceable/enforced, in such cases). My tactical 'camping knife' is pretty sinister looking, NGL (bit like one pictured). Worth noting that the penalty for being caught in possession of such a bladed weapon is pretty severe these days

Spoiler

Aye, but, with respect, you're not exactly typical of the TSRian demographic, mate

Ooooohhhh...

burn.jpg
Reply 36
It's ok. Law states two basic rules:

1) if it's a folding blade less than 3 inches (I.e. A Swiss Army knife) you can carry it without needing a reason / no questions asked.

2) if it locks or is more than 3 inches you can carry it as long as you have a valid reason - camping is likely to be accepted unless the police officer who sees it is having a bad day!

Third rule that should be fairly obvious is don't threaten anyone with it. Final condition is it can't be one of the restricted types of knives - I.e. Disguised knives, switchblades, butterfly knives & zombie knives.

Any more questions check here for a definitive answer:

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Lol if someone did attack you , how would u get the knife out of ur bag.

who said it's in my bag

Original post by Foo.mp3

Aye, but, with respect, you're not exactly typical of the TSRian demographic, mate

And that I am proud of
Original post by 0to100
who said it's in my bag

And that I am proud of

Better know how to use it
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Better know how to use it

stop tryna take e-shots with me little one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending