The Student Room Group

Will unis with entry requirements AAB/ABB offer me a place with predicted grades BBC

I want to study politics(and maybe minor in English or media) and want to apply to unis such as Newcastle, Liverpool, Leeds etc which have entry requirements of AAB/ABB and thereabouts, however I messed up at AS and got BCE(English lit, Art, Philosophy). I've just received my ucas predicted grades which are BBC, and my art teachers have agreed to predict me an A in a weeks time depending on how much work I've done by then. I'm just wondering if that C will stop me from getting offers from these universities and if it's worth fighting for higher with my philosophy teachers?

I think in the summer I can get an A in art and English but I'm unsure about philosophy, and I've done my research and know that unis have been accepting students with 1 or 2 grades lower than what their conditional offer was(for example a friend got into Newcastle university this year with BBC for econ, and others also getting a place at Northumbria for a lot lower).

I was just thinking that it would be unfair for me to not get a conditional offer now but actually get the grades in the summer and have to rely on clearing/adjustment period when there are people that get conditionals but don't achieve the grades in the summer yet are still accepted with lower grades:frown:

I think I might just be getting too stressed out with the whole application process but I really loved Newcastle when I went to see it and it would be devastating to not get an offer from them:frown: Any advice on what to do or tips of how to address the hiccup at AS in my personal statement would be much appreciated!!
Be realistic in your choices. It's okay to pick a couple that are above your grades, but remember you will be competing with people who actually got those grades at AS.

And where you said it would be unfair to not get an offer but then actually get the grades... Have you heard of UCAS Adjustment? It's where you can 'move up' to a better uni if you exceed the requirements of your firm choice come results day.
Original post by biancadavid
I want to study politics(and maybe minor in English or media) and want to apply to unis such as Newcastle, Liverpool, Leeds etc which have entry requirements of AAB/ABB and thereabouts, however I messed up at AS and got BCE(English lit, Art, Philosophy). I've just received my ucas predicted grades which are BBC, and my art teachers have agreed to predict me an A in a weeks time depending on how much work I've done by then. I'm just wondering if that C will stop me from getting offers from these universities and if it's worth fighting for higher with my philosophy teachers?

I think in the summer I can get an A in art and English but I'm unsure about philosophy, and I've done my research and know that unis have been accepting students with 1 or 2 grades lower than what their conditional offer was(for example a friend got into Newcastle university this year with BBC for econ, and others also getting a place at Northumbria for a lot lower).

I was just thinking that it would be unfair for me to not get a conditional offer now but actually get the grades in the summer and have to rely on clearing/adjustment period when there are people that get conditionals but don't achieve the grades in the summer yet are still accepted with lower grades:frown:

I think I might just be getting too stressed out with the whole application process but I really loved Newcastle when I went to see it and it would be devastating to not get an offer from them:frown: Any advice on what to do or tips of how to address the hiccup at AS in my personal statement would be much appreciated!!

Apply later. Your deadline is after Christmas. Get your PS sorted and your reference drafted and work your arse off WITH your teachers to show them that you're capable of getting these grades. Ask for their help about what they expect to see from someone predicted an A or a B and then SHOW them that you can do that.
Original post by biancadavid

the unis you applied to are heavily undersubscribed for many of the courses. the good thing is that those unis need money so even if you don't get into your first choice course they're bound to give you something else which is close enough.

Original post by Abstract_Prism
Be realistic in your choices. It's okay to pick a couple that are above your grades, but remember you will be competing with people who actually got those grades at AS.

And where you said it would be unfair to not get an offer but then actually get the grades... Have you heard of UCAS Adjustment? It's where you can 'move up' to a better uni if you exceed the requirements of your firm choice come results day.

Original post by Abstract_Prism
Aiming to submit my application tonight!

GCSEs:

A*AAAABBBBCCC

AS:
Distinction* + AAB

A2 Predictions:
Distinction* + A*A*A

Universities:
Cambridge
UCL
Durham
Bristol
Manchester

I'm so excited! Got my LNAT on the 13th too, but I'm not doing too well on the practice papers...

says the dude who applied to 3 LNAT unis out of 5 possible choices :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending