The Student Room Group

RAF pilot numbers

Hi there, I'm looking to join the RAF as a fast jet pilot in the future years. I do have a few questions which I would be very grateful if they could be answered.

1. How many people progress through the interview and start IOT each year?
2. How many of those people want to be pilots?
3. How many cadet pilots get through IOT and start EFT each year?
4. How many cadet pilots complete EFT each year?
5. How many of those are streamed to FJ, RW and ME?
6. How many IOT courses are there each year?
7. How many EFT courses are there each year?

Thanks
Chris
Original post by Chrisreed2001
Hi there, I'm looking to join the RAF as a fast jet pilot in the future years. I do have a few questions which I would be very grateful if they could be answered.

1. How many people progress through the interview and start IOT each year?
2. How many of those people want to be pilots?
3. How many cadet pilots get through IOT and start EFT each year?
4. How many cadet pilots complete EFT each year?
5. How many of those are streamed to FJ, RW and ME?
6. How many IOT courses are there each year?
7. How many EFT courses are there each year?

Thanks
Chris

Why on earth do you want to know all that?!

How would it help you become a FJ pilot?!

Answer: It won't.
Just curious as to what my chances are of getting in.
Reply 3
Just curious as to what my chances are of getting in.

If you're a good candidate you have a chance.

And that's all that matters. Other people make it, so why shouldn't you?
Original post by Drewski
If you're a good candidate you have a chance.

And that's all that matters. Other people make it, so why shouldn't you?

What do you think they are looking for in a FJ pilot?
Reply 6
What do you think they are looking for in a FJ pilot?

Well, for one, they're looking for people who understand that they don't recruit fast jet pilots. They recruit pilots, some of whom may end up going to the fast jet stream.

As to what they look for in a prospective officer, there are many threads here which can help you out, not to mention the RAF Careers website. Your nearest AFCO can give you plenty of literature.

And, if you're saying you're thinking about it "in a few years" that would suggest you're on the young side. If you're 16 or younger, join your nearest Air Cadet squadron.
Also OP if you want to be FJ then you'd need to be ready for the long term. From speaking to one of the pilots on the GR4s you wont get FJ straight away. Theres roughly 5 years worth of training and then you need experience (so add in another 4-5 years) in piloting other platforms first.
Reply 8
Original post by 89cruefan
Also OP if you want to be FJ then you'd need to be ready for the long term. From speaking to one of the pilots on the GR4s you wont get FJ straight away. Theres roughly 5 years worth of training and then you need experience (so add in another 4-5 years) in piloting other platforms first.

That goes for pretty much any pilot.
Original post by Drewski
Well, for one, they're looking for people who understand that they don't recruit fast jet pilots. They recruit pilots, some of whom may end up going to the fast jet stream.

Oh, but every pilot they recruit has to be a fast jet pilot, just streaming takes some to RW and ME along the way (I hope they're a little more realistic these days at OASC). Joking aside, every pilot entrant to IOT is a potential FJ pilot.:smile:

If you really want (rough) numbers:

3: About 190, but SDSR15 put this at about 230ish.
4. About 99% of the above. Selection and aptitude testing is very good. In my time on EFT (3 years) I saw 2 students "withdrawn from further training".
5. All of them. If you mean how many to each, it depends on the service requirement and the ability of the OCU Squadrons to take people from Valley/Shawbury/Cranwell. Each streaming board has different numbers and requirements. Over the past 5 years it's tended (overall) to be RW heavy, with FJ and ME being about equal. That said, there have been times when very few have gone to one particular stream.
7. About a dozen - ish.
Reply 10
Original post by 89cruefan

This is total nonsense, btw.
Original post by Wzz

It depends on the context. There was a brief time a few years ago (not many), in isolated cases, where some were going to RPAS from Valley for a tour before going to an FJ OCU. Not many, but I assume this is whatever source 89cf had was alluding to.

But 99% nonsense.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wzz

Is that Wzz as in Blackhawk and Naimh? If so, ltns - hope all is well with you and yours :smile:
Original post by Wzz

"Long term" means something different to this generation than to yours / mine!

Quick Reply

Latest