The Student Room Group

PGCE Reference

I need to ask a university teacher for a reference but none of them really know me that well, despite me being in final year. Should I ask my personal advisor for one? She is also a lecturer but has not taught me yet and I've only been to see her twice, lol. Please help :redface:
yes your best bet is to ask her, don't stress too much about a reference, most teachers are happy to do it
Reply 2
Original post by peanutbuttercup
I need to ask a university teacher for a reference but none of them really know me that well, despite me being in final year. Should I ask my personal advisor for one? She is also a lecturer but has not taught me yet and I've only been to see her twice, lol. Please help :redface:

I asked the former head of department three years after graduating. I wasn't sure she would even remember me, but she was more than happy to write one. They are used to dealing with requests like this. Remember, it's an academic reference, not a personal one, so they don't need to know you well on a personal level. They just need to be able to comment on your academic performance and suitability for teaching from an academic perspective. Your personal advisor should be able to gather information about you from various sources to write one.
Original post by Pierson
I asked the former head of department three years after graduating. I wasn't sure she would even remember me, but she was more than happy to write one. They are used to dealing with requests like this. Remember, it's an academic reference, not a personal one, so they don't need to know you well on a personal level. They just need to be able to comment on your academic performance and suitability for teaching from an academic perspective. Your personal advisor should be able to gather information about you from various sources to write one.

Ok cool, thank you! Also, they say the second reference needs to be from a professional, who can comment on my suitability for teaching - I worked in a little independent shop over the summer... would the owner be a suitable referee? Or would I be best asking the headteacher of the school where I obtained experience? (this was only for 10 days)
Reply 4
Original post by peanutbuttercup
Ok cool, thank you! Also, they say the second reference needs to be from a professional, who can comment on my suitability for teaching - I worked in a little independent shop over the summer... would the owner be a suitable referee? Or would I be best asking the headteacher of the school where I obtained experience? (this was only for 10 days)

Go with whomever is going to be able to justify why you are suitable for teaching and comment on your character accurately. Would the shop owner be able to provide examples of times you demonstrated some of the qualities needed to be a good teacher? Does the headteacher know what you did whilst you were at their school or be able get sufficient information from the class teacher?
Original post by Pierson
Go with whomever is going to be able to justify why you are suitable for teaching and comment on your character accurately. Would the shop owner be able to provide examples of times you demonstrated some of the qualities needed to be a good teacher? Does the headteacher know what you did whilst you were at their school or be able get sufficient information from the class teacher?

Ok thanks. I would say the shop owner would be best although the headteacher could probably get info from a few people, but I'm not sure if it'd be enough. Is the shop owner classed as a professional though? I don't know if business owners can be classed as that :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Yes, a business owner is a professional. All that matters is that you get a reference from someone who is willing to say you are suitable for teaching and provide some evidence of this (by giving some examples of times that you have demonstrated this). Referees have the same character limit as you have for your personal statement, so they are limited in how much they can say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending