The Student Room Group
simon123
I was just wondering how hard is it to step up from very good institutions such as Bristol/York/Nottingham/Durham at undergraduate to do a postgraduate at LSE/Oxbridge?

Is it virtually impossible? do you definatly require a first? what would be the general critieria for succeeding in an application?

What degree in what subject?
Reply 2
ChemistBoy
What degree in what subject?

Well I am starting a History/Politics joint honours at York so something like 1 year MSc International Relations, Comparitive Politics or International Politcal Economy at the LSE or 2 year Politics at Oxford
simon123
Well I am starting a History/Politics joint honours at York so something like 1 year International Relations or Comparitive Politics at the LSE or 2 year Politics at Oxford

Right, not really my area. The postgraduate admissions areas of the respective institution's websites will be able to give you the exact criteria for admission. However, in your area I think it is securing funding that is the most difficult part of the process. Shady will be able to give you the best advice as this is her area and she is a postgrad at LSE.

Be wary of saying things like 'stepping up a level' - league table rankings don't really mean that much in the postgraduate world, I'm not sure how things pan out in your area, although politics is one of LSE's specialities so I would guess it would be pretty top notch. Are you planning to do a PhD?
A 2:1 from the schools listed would give you chance.
shady lane
A 2:1 from the schools listed would give you chance.

I would add to this that something *extra* about your application may be needed, other than the fact that you got a 2.1 may stand you in better stead.

I say this, because by the time you graduate, I predict that applications to master's degrees at the unis you're considering will be commonplace for an even larger majority of politics students. :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Pernell Whitaker
I would add to this that something *extra* about your application may be needed, other than the fact that you got a 2.1 may stand you in better stead.

I say this, because by the time you graduate, I predict that applications to master's degrees at the unis you're considering will be commonplace for an even larger majority of politics students. :rolleyes:

Yes I thought this would probably be the case, in fact I actually thought you would proabably need a 1st to do a postgrad at Oxbridge/LSE.

When you say extras, what kind of extras to you mean? For example I have already got experience in 2 large financial firms before university and will be looking to secure spring/summer internships whilist at university. Or would extra curricular things within the undgrad university such as President of X society be more what they would look for?
For Oxbridge, I think many courses require a 1st. At LSE, it depends on the course. Most don't require it, but there are quite a lot of postgrads who did get 1sts in their first degrees.
Reply 8
shady lane
For Oxbridge, I think many courses require a 1st. At LSE, it depends on the course. Most don't require it, but there are quite a lot of postgrads who did get 1sts in their first degrees.

So I take it that for LSE if you do get a 1st from Notts/York/Durham you have a pretty good shot of getting on a postgrad course. I would be looking to do an MSc in either International Relations, Comparitive Politics or International Politcal Economy. Just out of interest where did you do your undergraduate degree shady? LSE?
I did undergrad in the States, postgrad at LSE (writing the dissertation this summer!) in Global Politics.
Reply 10
shady lane
I did undergrad in the States, postgrad at LSE (writing the dissertation this summer!) in Global Politics.

I see, how have you found the postgrad course as thats another one that interests me at the LSE
what university are you at?
Reply 12
The Boosh
what university are you at?

Im going to be going to York in October and doing History/Politics
simon123
Im going to be going to York in October and doing History/Politics

Good luck, remember to check things out nearer the time as well.
simon123
I see, how have you found the postgrad course as thats another one that interests me at the LSE

I've really liked it. But if you want to study straight political science or IR, you shouldn't choose it. GP is more for people who wish to explore different subjects as they relate to globalization specifically. I've done mostly political economy and development, but other people have done human trafficking, migration, ethnic conflict, health policy, and all sorts of other topics!

Latest

Trending

Trending