The Student Room Group

Life as a PG Student at Kingston University

Hi there:smile:! So, I've officially survived my fifth month as a postgrad, and let me tell you, it's been one heck of a ride!

First things first, let's talk about the academic stuff.

I was introduced to critical thinking in undergrad so I had a fair idea of what was expected, or so I thought. Truth be told, it was a step up! Thankfully, Kingston University has an Academic Skills Centre that assists to review reports/assignments before you turn them in and an EAPD Programme you can join to improve your academic writing. For my course, MA Public Relations and Corporate Communications, the workload is intense but absolutely engaging. So, every lecture, presentation, and reading assignment is like flexing those mental muscles, pushing me to think deeper and analyse harder. It's challenging, sure, but also incredibly rewarding when you start connecting the dots and having those lightbulb moments.

Now, let's chat about the people.

I’ve got to say, one thing I find fascinating is the diversity in our postgrad community; students from all walks of life, each bringing their own unique perspectives to the table. Engaging in discussions and debates with people who have completely different backgrounds and ideas has been mind-blowing. Plus, it's opened my eyes to viewpoints I never even considered before. Kingston University is certainly a melting pot.

But it hasn't all been about hitting the books. Self-care has been my saving grace during this whirlwind period.:youbetcha: I've quickly learned the importance of taking breaks, whether it's going for a walk, binging a Netflix series, going to see a show at the Rose Theatre in Kingston town centre or visiting tourist sites in London with friends. It's all about finding that balance between work and play, and let me tell you, it's a work in progress!

And can we talk about personal growth for a sec? I feel like I've grown tenfold in such a short time. From learning how to manage my time better, participating in assessment centres to signing up for the KU Big Read, attending socials and networking events, every day is a chance to level up. I live far away from campus so the commute is long. The upside is I get to see new sights and a whole new set of faces every train ride, which I find interesting. Sure, there have been moments of doubt and frustration, but hey, that's all part of the journey, right?

Looking ahead, I'm both excited and slightly anxious about what the future holds. But, isn't that what makes this whole postgrad thing so exciting? So here's to embracing the chaos, savouring the moments, rolling with the punches, and coming out on top, one month at a time:yeah:.

- Roseline
Kingston University PG student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending