The Student Room Group

Why I chose DMU for Postgraduate Study

Postgrad studies! Postgrad studies! Postgrad studies!

You’re nearing the end of your undergrad course and you’re figuring out what the next step is. You’re hearing postgrad whispering in your ears :afraid: and you’re a little bit unsure about it. Even your parents are nudging you bit by bit to complete the application. Truth be told, pursuing postgrad studies wasn’t always in my life plan but boy can I tell you I’m happy that I decided to choose that route.

Pursuing my MSc in Air Transport Management at DMU, allowed me to deepen my understanding and burning passion for the aviation industry. Here are my top 3 reasons why I’m happy I chose to pursue my Postgraduate degree at DMU:

Quality lecturers. After receiving my acceptance offer from the university, I was contacted by the programme leader. She introduced herself and the other members of the team. Like an FBI agent, I did some detailed research into who they were :cyber:. They had over 50+ years of aviation knowledge and experience. From government and industry consultancies to several teaching and aviation awards to published books and academic journals. I was honestly blown away before I even stepped foot into the classroom. After the first week of official teaching, I pulled her aside and told her I was happy that I chose DMU because the quality of teaching that was being delivered on the course was of high calibre. I really like to think of myself as someone who doesn’t like mediocrity, so for such high quality, I was beyond gassed :gthumb:.

Support. I’m sure by now the Business and Law (BAL) postgraduate support team knows me by name :lol: even the DMU Enquiries team. They always offer to assist in any way possible. Whether it be academically or in personal life situations. For example, when I walk through the corridors of the faculty or on campus, the BAL Head of Research Students, Dr. Mafimisebi, would always stop to ask how I’m doing and how I’m getting on with my research. I’ve even had the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Katie Normington stop me a few times for a quick chat. Do you know how amazing it is for the boss of the university to take time out to check on you and ask you about your university experience? :colondollar:

Opportunities. I started my postgrad journey about 4 years ago at DMU and it has opened so many doors of opportunities for me. I have been able to network with industry experts from Birmingham, Manchester, and Schiphol Airports, consultancy firms, and a few European and Middle Eastern airlines. I have also been able to travel to the United Nations in New York and undertake an eight-month [paid] internship with the DMU Sustainability Team. One of the greatest opportunities was being awarded a full scholarship to pursue my PhD in Air Transport Management. As an international student, receiving the scholarship was equivalent to finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow :danceboy:.

Everyone’s university journey won’t be the same, however, the journey is what you make of it. Take advantage of the resources that are available and build your professional networks.

I’m available to speak some more about pursuing postgraduate studies at De Montfort University through The Ambassador Platform. Search for my name and let’s have a quick chat about your future at DMU or even advice on postgrad life. I’ll be more than happy to help.

All the best on your postgrad journeys everyone! And as always, YOU GOT THIS!

- Dennis :biggrin: (PhD Air Transport Management student)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending