The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
madscot
Birmingham med school has the strictest academic requirements.
Doesn't it?

I can't remember if they require an aptitude test, but the 5 a*'s bit...

true, but i heard the average no. of a level points for an applicant to oxbridge medschool is around 500 points, although the entry requiremet is much less.
Reply 61
Spencer Wells
As other people have suggested, I would advise that you go and look at the two campuses (ideally in term time, which starts on the 24th of September at UCL, and early October at Imperial). Go to the student unions, chat to people, get a feel for the places. Apply to the one that you feel would suit you the best, not to the one that you think is earsier to get in to.

If you want to see how active we are socially, come to UCL's Huntley Street bar any evening of the week beginning the 24th, or this Monday or Friday to the Royal Free bar in the Royal Free Hospital for the 3rd year parties.

sorry i didnt realise u went to UCL. im defo gonna visit before i put down my choices
sophiakhanom
true, but i heard the average no. of a level points for an applicant to oxbridge medschool is around 500 points, although the entry requiremet is much less.

what's that in grades? I don't follow this points thing.
Reply 63
120 points = A grade at A2
100 = B
80=C
etc

60 = A grade at As
50= B at As

4 grade A's at A2 = 480 points (general studies excluded). therefore to make 500 points u need more A levels/ play a musical instrument at a certain grade i.e grade 8 = 60 points /other things.

so although oxbrige only say they want 3As, the vats majority of applicants have much more
Reply 64
ok guys, im off to bed now cos ive gotta get up early to go to imperial tomorrow (what a coincidence).

sorry for all thos i offended
Reply 65
sophiakhanom

That doesn't ring true tbh.

I'm not saying it isn't, but unless you read it on something official and unbiased, I wouldn't put too much faith in it.

Guy I know applied to law with 5 predicted A's and was rejected, I expect many people got in with the minimum requirements and better "law-specific" stuff.

EDIT: What if average was 500, because most people had 480 but the odd maniac with loads of A-Levels was dragging the average up by twenty points?
Enjoy your day, I hope you find it OK!
Reply 67
madscot
That doesn't ring true tbh.

I'm not saying it isn't, but unless you read it on something official and unbiased, I wouldn't put too much faith in it.

According to the Times University Guide http://www.timesonline.co.uk/displayPopup/0,,13431,00.html

Average Cambridge medical undergrad has 553 UCAS points, Oxford has 537

Although, UCAS points mean very little. I know plenty of people who got into Oxbridge with less than 450 points at A-level, where as poor old me (:frown: ) got rejected with 720 points
Reply 68
You didn't offend me at least. I was just raising a concern, I think (Can't think of a good way to put it).
apart from music grades what other stuff puts ur points up?

does charity work etc. put it up? or playing sports (but not in any league)?
Reply 70
No. Currently it's only music grades and AEA's that can put up your UCAS points. From next year, certain drama awards will also count.

Latest

Trending

Trending