The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mum's birthday tomorrow. She's turning 40! She's been trying to lose weight too, and she bought a dress that was purposely a size too small for her a month ago, but now she fits into it! :biggrin:
We're going out to dinner tomorrow. Gonna have an amazing cheat day, then get back on track on Sunday. I think me and Mum have both deserved it since we've both lost a good amount of weight :smile:
Original post by GloriaPenguin
Mum's birthday tomorrow. She's turning 40! She's been trying to lose weight too, and she bought a dress that was purposely a size too small for her a month ago, but now she fits into it! :biggrin:
We're going out to dinner tomorrow. Gonna have an amazing cheat day, then get back on track on Sunday. I think me and Mum have both deserved it since we've both lost a good amount of weight :smile:

Brilliant well done to your Mum and a happy birthday for tomorrow to her! It's fantastic when you're living with someone on a health kick as well as you. My Mum is losing weight also, but is doing the alternate day diet.. meaning that actually she puts even MORE temptation my way on her "up" days than she did in the past!

Have a lovely night tomorrow, everyone needs to treat themselves once in a while :biggrin:.
Reply 1082
Had a great week, so tonight I am going out and eating/drinking loads :biggrin: :p: Kind of feel I deserve it haha.

I've started lifting weights a bit and now I can't wait until I get home and gain access to me dad's heavier dumbells :biggrin:
I'm going out for leaving drinks with my old work, think we're going to Wetherspoons so going to have Smirnoff, lime and soda water but only one or two because I have tutoring tomorrow morning so I can use that as an excuse :smile:
Original post by blahhh

Exactly, I don't want to be 'skinny'...I dont want to be a size 10 and risk losing my curves.... I just want to be healthy and normal looking...I don't want to spend the rest of my life deliberating over single chocolate biscuits, I want to be able to go to restaurants that don't print their nutrition and not feel guilty for a week...I want to be able to enjoy myself and yet maintain a healthy lifestyle through good food and exercise :smile:

This is said pic.... I know people are probably going to disagree with me, and I appreciate that its not the best pic...but I think I actually look ill, theres no muscle definition on that arm

Spoiler

You don't look ill at all in the picture :rolleyes:. You look great and I think you just need time to get use to seeing the new you in photos. Totally understand with the skinny fat thing. Losing more weight does not solve it at one point we have to work on building muscle too (which is why I'm losing a bit more fat then bulking back up to 11st). Plus I think BMI is even more inaccurate for tall people as we look normal weight at a BMI of 26 & 27 as well

Keep us up to date about how you are getting on with maintaing weight
Reply 1085
Food for today:

Breakfast: Two egg omelette with ham, olives, onions, basil and garlic with salad and cucumber.

Lunch: Three sesame rice cakes with chunky hummus.

Snack: A few slices of cucumber with broad bean, asparagus and mint hummus.

Dinner: Oven roasted salmon fillet with sacla tomato and garlic sauce, onions, olive oil, roasted tomatoes and paprike olives, on a bed of beansprouts and onions.
Reply 1086
Original post by Chrisateen
You don't look ill at all in the picture :rolleyes:. You look great and I think you just need time to get use to seeing the new you in photos. Totally understand with the skinny fat thing. Losing more weight does not solve it at one point we have to work on building muscle too (which is why I'm losing a bit more fat then bulking back up to 11st). Plus I think BMI is even more inaccurate for tall people as we look normal weight at a BMI of 26 & 27 as well

Keep us up to date about how you are getting on with maintaing weight

Yeh perhaps it is just me not being used to it :p: (and it being a terrible photo of my pale skin!)
I'm just thinking that I've lost 4 and a half stone and my thighs still wobble...losing another stone is hardly going to change it much! Definitely muscle building is whats needed :yep:

Ill get there! :smile:
Oh yeah food for today.

Breakfast - fruit salad (pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, melon) with a squeeze of lime
Lunch - grilled smoked mackerel with a paprika marinade with boiled potatoes, peas and a hard boiled egg
Dinner - seared tuna with a ginger and sesame crust, broccoli with a ginger dip
Drinks - tea, 7up free, coffee, orangina light and probably 2 or 3 voda lime and sodas.

About 1450 calories and done a bit of walking so under my target :smile:
I ate approximately 70-80 dates (no kidding) over 3 days last week...then I found out that each date is 24 calories :O

I don't even want to calculate the total calorie consumption. The thing is, I find dates really, really addictive (and can't stop craving them!)...any tips on how to control cravings?
Original post by alexsasg
I ate approximately 70-80 dates (no kidding) over 3 days last week...then I found out that each date is 24 calories :O

I don't even want to calculate the total calorie consumption. The thing is, I find dates really, really addictive (and can't stop craving them!)...any tips on how to control cravings?

What! That is a lot of dates, and a lot of fibre. Does that not do all sorts of unholy things to your digestion? Don't worry about the calories. 1920 but spaced over 3 days won't have made that much of a dint in things, especially if you were being good on the other days. For controlling cravings - drink lots. Fill up on hot drinks like green tea or even options hot choc. If you're like me and get cravings in the evenings then I like to drink a little glass of skimmed milk (protein!) to have something in my stomach and then just get an early night :smile:

Honestly? Banish them from your house! If that fails then try a massive glass of water beforehand and remember that a craving is something we want, not something we need. Aannnddd if all else fails, then have them ofcourse, but incorporate them into your daily calories. Everything is ok in moderation and a craving for dates is better than one for chocolate! :biggrin: Oh yes and definitely green tea..I also try to drink it before meals to stop myself from over-eating. Hated the taste at the beginning but love it now!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by marmalady
What! That is a lot of dates, and a lot of fibre. Does that not do all sorts of unholy things to your digestion? Don't worry about the calories. 1920 but spaced over 3 days won't have made that much of a dint in things, especially if you were being good on the other days. For controlling cravings - drink lots. Fill up on hot drinks like green tea or even options hot choc. If you're like me and get cravings in the evenings then I like to drink a little glass of skimmed milk (protein!) to have something in my stomach and then just get an early night :smile:

I know.. I felt really bloated immediately afterwards, but fine later on. So digestive-wise, I was fine (I didn't know they contained so much fibre until I looked it up last night..)

Thanks for the tips :smile: yup, I do usually tend to crave things in the evenings! It's usually at some ungodly time like 10:30 in the evening :angry: I'll be upping my intake of water then - hello, need to pee every 30 mins..
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
Honestly? Banish them from your house! If that fails then try a massive glass of water beforehand and remember that a craving is something we want, not something we need. Aannnddd if all else fails, then have them ofcourse, but incorporate them into your daily calories. Everything is ok in moderation and a craving for dates is better than one for chocolate! :biggrin: Oh yes and definitely green tea..I also try to drink it before meals to stop myself from over-eating. Hated the taste at the beginning but love it now!

The banishing thing would be impossible as I live with my family who eat the damn things too. Haha, the fact that it's healthier than chocolate is exactly how I justify eating so many (at the time of eating them, that's just what I was telling myself!)

Hmm okay, I will try green tea then since everyone seems to be singing its praises! I'll make sure I buy some this week. :smile:

Hmm okay, I will try green tea then since everyone seems to be singing its praises! I'll make sure I buy some this week. :smile:

You can get some really nice flavoured green tea :smile: Twinings orange & lotus flower is a favourite of mine, also pineapple and grapefruit! Mmm :smile: Good for you as well x
The banishing thing would be impossible as I live with my family who eat the damn things too. Haha, the fact that it's healthier than chocolate is exactly how I justify eating so many (at the time of eating them, that's just what I was telling myself!)

Have a few with a cup of tea of something. Don't pick them out of the packet, take some, put them in a bowl, sit down and really enjoy them..it's amazing how much more you'll appreciate them that way.
I used to find green tea really bitter so started off having it with a spoon of splenda and then slowly fizzling it out within a week or two. Just don't let the teabag soak too long!

-------------------------------------------------

Food for today:
Breakfast: Porridge with 2 strawberries and 2 almonds, Tea (skimmed milk)
Snack: Banana
Lunch: Tuna sandwich (seeded bread, half a tin of tuna in brine and some cucumber), Apple
Snack: A carrot, 5 cherry tomatoes and a few cucumber sticks
Dinner: 2 egg whites, peas and 5 mushrooms steamed with ketchup
Snack: Tea, 2 plums and a pear

I'm pretty sure MFP is underestimating that at 1165 (considering I did a 'quick add 50 calories' just for peace of mind...so I'm being on the safe side and leaving it at that:tongue:
Totally grazed my way through the day, had lots of tiny snacks, and haven't eaten enough. Probably up to around 1,100 cals. I'd normally have another snack to build it up, but tbh I'm ready to sleep soon and I figure it won't really hurt just for this once. I will get back to eating 1,500 again tomorrow. Reason: been too busy to eat proper meals.

EDIT: Wasn't as low as I thought. MFP tells me it's 1,260 cals, so at least "safe".
(edited 12 years ago)
I managed to resist the lure of chips on the way home :biggrin:

...well, nearly :colondollar: I stole a few of my housemate's but that barely counts, right? :tongue: Plus, I spent 2 hours dancing/moshing, so that's gotta burn a fair few calories. I stopped drinking earlier than normal (just after 10) in an attempt to avoid a hangover. Really hoping that worked - I've got my aerial workshop tomorrow, which I'm super excited about, and I really don't want to be feeling rubbish.
Hi guys. I posted in this thread months and months ago about how I was going to eat better, go to the gym, turn my life around, etc... I was too lazy to actually do anything so I'm rejoining this thread :tongue:

I'm going on holiday to Ayia Napa in about 3 months and have decided to go to the gym and "tone up" as much as I can beforehand.

At the moment I'm 5'2", weighing in at 8st 2lb and with a BMI of 20.8. However, I have no muscle - I can't walk up 4 flights of stairs to my room at uni without getting out of breath and am physically incapable of carrying my tesco shopping back from tesco. I've also got a small roll of fat on my belly which I would love to get rid of.

I've just started going to the gym - 20 mins on the cross-ramp at resistance 10, ramp 10 (if that makes sense to anyone?) and will hopefully be starting a few resistance/weight machines tomorrow. Should be good since I'm too weak to do a single push-up...

I'm also considering Jamie Eason's 12-week Live Fit Trainer - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html. Has anyone heard of, used, or had any luck with this?

:smile:
Reply 1098
Today I feel even more ugly and fat than I did at my biggest. Stupid self esteem :frown:
Original post by nepourmourrir
Can someone recommend me some healthy, low calorie, FILLING dinners? I've been having weetabix for breakfast but dinner is :/

What about jacket potato? I'm terrible at cooking/too lazy to cook so I have a LOT of jacket potato!

Latest